toldailytopic: Is the death penalty unchristian?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
You need to show evidence that knowledge of a swift and painful execution would not provide a deterrent.

Who cares if it is a deterrent, in my estimation it is the ultimate punishment, as it should be. If it deters also it is a bonus, it should be viewed as punishment first.

Who are you? :idunno:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Deuteronomy 5:28-33
28 “Then the Lord heard the voice of your words when you spoke to me, and the Lord said to me: ‘I have heard the voice of the words of this people which they have spoken to you. They are right in all that they have spoken. 29 Oh, that they had such a heart in them that they would fear Me and always keep all My commandments, that it might be well with them and with their children forever! 30 Go and say to them, “Return to your tents.” 31 But as for you, stand here by Me, and I will speak to you all the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments which you shall teach them, that they may observe them in the land which I am giving them to possess.’

32 “Therefore you shall be careful to do as the Lord your God has commanded you; you shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left. 33 You shall walk in all the ways which the Lord your God has commanded you, that you may live and that it may be well with you, and that you may prolong your days in the land which you shall possess.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Who cares if it is a deterrent, in my estimation it is the ultimate punishment, as it should be. If it deters also it is a bonus, it should be viewed as punishment first.
I'd agree. But who are you? :idunno:

Who are you? :idunno:
"Just a fly in the ointment. A monkey in the wrench."

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You need to show evidence that knowledge of a swift and painful execution would not provide a deterrent.
I did if you understand that most homicides are crimes of passion and that crimes of passion are, by definition, irrational acts. Irrational acts are not impacted by rational laws. They aren't cost/benefit analysis.

We know you have your opinion. But you can have no evidence until the conditions are actually applied and tested.
Rather, you're being willfully obtuse on the point, which is your prerogative in opinion.

What? :AMR:
You haven't sustained any assertion with support and on this point so, as between us, I have the greater authority, knowing the law, the particular system and having the associated experience of that system. And I've given you more than my feeling on the matter.

You claimed people used to get hanged which didn't act as a deterrent. How do you know this is the case?
Not exactly. Any death penalty will impact those who bring a sort of cost/benefit analysis to the consideration. As for the rest: google U.S. statistics on capital punishment and/or studies involving jurisdictions where capital punishment is on the books compared to where it isn't relative to crimes of passion.

I reckon God's standard for the treatment of murderers could apply as well today as it did for ancient Israel.
You mean his standard for the Jews of that day, with their limitations and particular proclivities. They also lived by laws we don't observe. Your reckoning is just another way of expressing an opinion, not a fact. If you want to place us under the law of Leviticus, by way of, you're going to have to make the case why and distinguish why we then don't take their part whole hog, so to speak.

You reckon it could not. I can't "live by the same law that compelled the Jewish people". We have all new laws that do not submit to God's standard.
You mean the standard given to a particular people. God's standard within the context of the Jewish life. Do you adopt all of that? If not, why not and why the distinction?

Things have changed and we have a clear record of what did. One of the things that did not change was God's standard for the punishment of murderers.
You say that. But that's just you restating your opinion. I think God gave a practical, just way of dealing with a problem of moral conduct pre Christ. I also think he allowed for slavery. I don't believe that institution is Christian. It was Jewish. It was of its day and within that provided a moral context.

:rotfl: Which bible have you been reading?Not obedient to and ignorant of the law. :)
You missed the sarcasm then. They failed the law. People aren't made better by law.

Right. We can not know now how good life will be in a society that honours God.
We have a history of societies laying claim to that. They were soon corrupted and immoral failures. That's part of what became of our nation and its founding laws.

That's a "Yes", right?
You're an intelligent man. Don't act as though you're talking to someone who isn't. I've given you a clear answer and a noteworthy exception that shouldn't be repeated.

You've yet to make any point with either. Have you one? Else, I'm done repeating that response.

And now to bed. Jack will be expecting me bright eyed in about...six hours more or less.

:e4e:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I did if you understand that most homicides are crimes of passion and that crimes of passion are, by definition, irrational acts. Irrational acts are not impacted by rational laws. They aren't cost/benefit analysis.
God says otherwise.

And this is not evidence. It's just your opinion. You have no way to gain evidence for your idea that a swift and painful execution would not be a deterrent. To gain such evidence, you would have to see the conditions I am talking about installed.

Rather, you're being willfully obtuse on the point, which is your prerogative in opinion.
Obtuse? Not really. You have an opinion and I'm asking for evidence. You continue to present your opinion as if it is evidence. I don't think it obtuse to ask you to respond properly. :idunno:

You haven't sustained any assertion with support and on this point so, as between us, I have the greater authority, knowing the law, the particular system and having the associated experience of that system. And I've given you more than my feeling on the matter.
The assertion is that God installed the death penalty with wisdom in that it would properly punish and act as a deterrent. I use this fact to support a return to a similar process of a swift and painful justice system. The evidence is not available for the differences in data points between the two systems. Thus we are left with your opinion against mine.

And, yes, you have more invested into man's justice system.

You mean his standard for the Jews of that day, with their limitations and particular proclivities. They also lived by laws we don't observe. Your reckoning is just another way of expressing an opinion, not a fact. If you want to place us under the law of Leviticus, by way of, you're going to have to make the case why and distinguish why we then don't take their part whole hog, so to speak.You mean the standard given to a particular people. God's standard within the context of the Jewish life. Do you adopt all of that? If not, why not and why the distinction?
Simple. Read up on what laws God repealed and what laws were not. For example, God explicitly removed the prohibition on eating unclean animals. God never repealed the death penalty. Nor did He ever make a distinction between murderers who consider their crime for a long time or short as you do.

You say that. But that's just you restating your opinion. I think God gave a practical, just way of dealing with a problem of moral conduct pre Christ. I also think he allowed for slavery. I don't believe that institution is Christian. It was Jewish. It was of its day and within that provided a moral context.
Oh, you want to talk about slavery now?

You missed the sarcasm then. They failed the law. People aren't made better by law.
That's not entirely correct. :)

People do fail according to the law. But they will fail less according to God's laws than they will if the law spirals downward with them.
We have a history of societies laying claim to that. They were soon corrupted and immoral failures. That's part of what became of our nation and its founding laws.
And thus... what?

I've given you a clear answer.
Was your clear answer "Yes" or "No"?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Who cares if it is a deterrent, in my estimation it is the ultimate punishment, as it should be.

God.

Deuteronomy 17

12 Now the man who acts presumptuously and will not heed the priest who stands to minister there before the Lord your God, or the judge, that man shall die. So you shall put away the evil from Israel. 13 And all the people shall hear and fear, and no longer act presumptuously.

I agree. Justice is his main goal. And mine. But it is a deterent, God said they would not longer act presumptuous.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
No scripture to back that assumption up at all.
Why am I not surprised you ignore the Scripture I posted...

Also what kinda of court lets of an offender just because the other guilty party isn't there to answer trial.
:bang:

One in which that is the law of the land.:dunce::duh:

Also do you think misapplication of the law was an isolated event or do you think, or do you think practice of the law may of been institutionally corrupt at this point in jewish history?
Jesus spent a lot of time correcting the Pharisees and Sadducees on their misinterpretations and misapplications of the law.

Yes I did they only made 1/2 of the point you made though. I agree it is a misapplication of the law. I see no evidence to assume that this makes the woman's sentence null and void
Seriously? You don't see how there was, because of all the miscarriages of justice, a shadow of doubt and even beyond that an inability to make any judgment?

OK the translation I use says it in a very different manner
Care to quote?

Anyway putting those differences aside look at the order of the story.

All the accusers had already left, not that there were none. It is intellectually dishonest to claim that there were no witnesses just because there were none at this point.
:sozo:I'M NOT CLAIMING THERE WERE NEVER ANY WITNESSES, YOU IDIOT!

I'm saying there were no witnesses when they were asked for.

Seriously, how stupid are you?

vrs 3 said she had been caught in the act, that means there were witnesses.
So what? They weren't there when Jesus asked for witnesses. That's the only relevant issue here.

Three things
  • Priests and Levities are different things
  • He was qualified as priest, the book of Hebrews makes this clear.
  • I think its highly likely that as an established rabbi he was seen as being culturally authoritative in passing judgement on the law.
    The fact he was asked to make judgement supports that

• All the priests at that time were Levites. And regarding the laws recorded in the verses I posted they were the same thing. If one was a Levite but not a priest they had no bearing on such matters. That's why I used the term "Levitical priest."
  • He was not recognized as such by the men who brought the woman before Him, idiot.
  • "Rabbi" only means "teacher." He was not qualified in the eyes of men to be any more than that. Just as if I tutored my nephews in spelling because I always aced the subject in school I am still not qualified to be a professor at a university.

I am not the guy basing my arguments out of what was written in the sand.
Neither am I.

If we don't know we cant make any claims based up on it.
Exactly. Arguments from silence are a fool's weapon.

I'm the guy basing arguments on what scripture says not what i've have added or heard added to scripture.
Neither am I.

and be careful who you call a fool Matthew 5:22
What does "without cause" mean to you? Do you understand that clause?

What I'm saying is that I have plenty of cause to call you a fool. Just as Paul had plenty of cause to call the Galatians foolish.

This Charming Manc

I am at work so very quick post in reposne on two general points and ill go back point for point later.

The first is manners, I am treating you agruments seriously, im not flamin you and I am trying to argue through serious issue of disagreement with a degree of civlity and respects thats due to someone searching for truth and taking the bible seriously.

I would appretiate it if that was returned, this place could do with a level of civility returned to its debate. Lets disagree strongly but with some class.

The 2nd is I think on some points you are givign your interpretation of what a scripture means the same authority of the scripture.

For example,

We agree that this case broke the spirit and the intent of the law, because only the woman was brought before Jesus. It was corrupt compared to the law as given.

You have clealry respresented and described this by scripture, and we are in agreement on the point.

However you then interpret this to mean that the sentence is void, because the law has not been perfectly implemented. This is not directly based on scriputure, but on your interprtation of how the law would role our based on how you belive modern legal systems work.

This hasnt been clealry demonstarted by scripture and I don't belive it can be. this is your interpratation and I belive it is flawed.

Therefore I belive you are giving personal interpretation too much credence.

Anyway more later

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am at work so very quick post in reposne on two general points and ill go back point for point later.

Have you not noticed that every thing you post about your opinions, is contrary to what is decent, moral, and Biblical? Is that because you are stupid, or evil?

This Charming Manc

Suprisingly I don't hold that view Nick.

Are you not aware that peopel can hold different opnions than you without being evil or stupid?

You may be shocked to find that agree on some issues;

• I'm 100% pro life
  • I'm 100% saved by grave through faith
  • I'm not pro gay
  • I'm not a comminist and think its a fataly flawed system
  • I'm not an athiest

On the issues we disagree on does these seem evil

• I'm pro gun control control guns to see less people murdered
  • I'm anti death penalty because I dont want to see people die
  • I'm pro gospels because I belive the words of Jesus are important
  • I'm anti unfettered capitalism because I believe the love of money is the root of all evil

You may disagree but its hard to say thsoe are evil motives.

Have you not noticed that every thing you post about your opinions, is contrary to what is decent, moral, and Biblical? Is that because you are stupid, or evil?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
God says otherwise.
No, He doesn't.

And this is not evidence.
Yes, it is and you and anyone interested could confirm it.

It's just your opinion. You have no way to gain evidence for your idea that a swift and painful execution would not be a deterrent.
Sure I do. I only just told you how. Your counter is degree. You want people to believe that someone killing in the throes of an irrational passion will be pulled into rational abatement by the potential for swift punishment.

That's not rational, Stripe. Sooner/later, rational process doesn't control irrational action.

To gain such evidence, you would have to see the conditions I am talking about installed.
Nope. Supra.

That's our difference in chief. :e4e:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, He doesn't.
Sure, He does. :)

Sure I do. I only just told you how. Your counter is degree. You want people to believe that someone killing in the throes of an irrational passion will be pulled into rational abatement by the potential for swift punishment.
Nothing to do with "why". All to do with "if".

That's not rational, Stripe. Sooner/later, rational process doesn't control irrational action.
:idunno:

God says otherwise. He set this system up without considering irrationality as an excuse.

Arthur Brain

Tragic. Almost as bad as releasing a guilty man. But, within my system, good may come of it.

"Almost as bad"?! How is the death of an innocent person wrongly convicted and executed any less than a guilty man released onto the streets? What 'good' comes from the death of the innocent Stripe?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sure, He does. :)
No, He doesn't. :nono:

Your counter is degree. You want people to believe that someone killing in the throes of an irrational passion will be pulled into rational abatement by the potential for swift punishment.
Nothing to do with "why". All to do with "if".
No idea what that's aimed at. :idunno:

God says otherwise.
No He doesn't. God doesn't get easily observable (or anything) phenomena wrong. That's where we come in...and by "we" I mean you, mostly. :eek:

He set this system up without considering irrationality as an excuse.
He set up our system a bit differently-though we don't excuse crimes of passion short of insanity.

And that does it for me. So you can have the last word/repetition. Always good bumping into you. :e4e:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, He doesn't. Your counter is degree. You want people to believe that someone killing in the throes of an irrational passion will be pulled into rational abatement by the potential for swift punishment.
Sure, He did:
Numbers 35
...the murderer shall surely be put to death.

30 Whoever kills a person, the murderer shall be put to death on the testimony of witnesses; but one witness is not sufficient testimony against a person for the death penalty. 31 Moreover you shall take no ransom for the life of a murderer who is guilty of death, but he shall surely be put to death.

1 Timothy 1:9
knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

Ezekiel 13:19
And will you profane Me among My people for handfuls of barley and for pieces of bread, killing people who should not die, and keeping people alive who should not live, by your lying to My people who listen to lies?”

He set up our system a bit differently.
Can you show us scripture where God says to house, feed, educate and release rapists based on the judgement of twelve random people plucked off the street?

While you're at it, can you show us where God made allowances for murderers of a certain type?

John Mortimer

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 16th, 2012 09:46 AM

toldailytopic: Is the death penalty unchristian?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Incredible! The Christ appears before your eyes, (at least in words), and you want to talk about why you think the death penalty is "christian". I have no respect for you or your ilk, Mr "Knight"... go ahead and ban me permanently. THAT will be an honest expression of your consciousness.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Incredible! The Christ appears before your eyes, (at least in words), and you want to talk about why you think the death penalty is "christian". I have no respect for you or your ilk, Mr "Knight"... go ahead and ban me permanently. THAT will be an honest expression of your consciousness.

What's this about morons and petards? :dunce: What makes it so dumb, is that he deliberately did it to himself.

:mock: John Mortimer

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

The first is manners, I am treating you agruments seriously, im not flamin you and I am trying to argue through serious issue of disagreement with a degree of civlity and respects thats due to someone searching for truth and taking the bible seriously.

I would appretiate it if that was returned, this place could do with a level of civility returned to its debate. Lets disagree strongly but with some class.
Then stop portraying yourself s Manchester's village idiot.

The 2nd is I think on some points you are givign your interpretation of what a scripture means the same authority of the scripture.

For example,

We agree that this case broke the spirit and the intent of the law, because only the woman was brought before Jesus. It was corrupt compared to the law as given.

You have clealry respresented and described this by scripture, and we are in agreement on the point.

However you then interpret this to mean that the sentence is void, because the law has not been perfectly implemented. This is not directly based on scriputure, but on your interprtation of how the law would role our based on how you belive modern legal systems work.

This hasnt been clealry demonstarted by scripture and I don't belive it can be. this is your interpratation and I belive it is flawed.

Therefore I belive you are giving personal interpretation too much credence.

Anyway more later
:bang:

No!

The sentence is only void insofar as if the requirements could be met there would be a case and the sentence would then stand.

But the absence of the man is irrelevant in light of the fact that the other two requirements were unmet. Even if they had brought both of them they still did not bring them before a priest and a judge, nor were there any witnesses when asked for, as they had all left.