toldailytopic: Is it immoral for an employer to offer a health insurance plan which i

Silent Hunter

I believe it is immoral to offer to another person something which you would not do yourself.
I chose to work in a Catholic hospital because the problem of abortion did not exist there.
It is not sufficient to state that "abortion is legal". Either you stand for something or you don't.
You'd be surprised, b, what doctors at catholic hospitals do and prescribe . . . including . . . selective abortions and contraceptives.

PureX

There are things such as moral clauses. There are also employers that utilize random drug testing.
None of which have anything to do with morality, but with the function and image of the business. Morality clauses that do not impact the function of the business would be struck down in the courts. In fact, calling them "morality clauses" is misleading.
Employers absolutely DO have the right as long as it is KNOWN by the employee upfront.
No, they actually don't. What they can do is get their employees to sign wavers so that they cannot be prosecuted for infringing the employee's rights. But even then, I don't think such a waiver would stand up in court unless it was directly related to the business function.
It is the employer who can lose money as well as reputation should one of their employees private decisions affect the companies reputation.
That's simply not accurate. Any company that fires and employee for, say, sexual promiscuity in her private life, could be sued and would probably be found liable. Something like drug use, however, effects the employees performance on the job, and so could be grounds for dismissal, as well as mandatory testing. You are wrongly confusing the employees private life with their on-the-job image and behavior.
Having a policy to NOT facilitate abortion is only foolish in the minds of those who are pro-abortion. Even in the case that an employee is pro-abortion, they have absolutely no right to demand that their employer assist or accommodate them in obtaining one.
As expected, you are refusing to understand that pregnancy is not an on-the-job requirement. So the employer does not get ANY say in a woman's choice to become pregnant or to end a pregnancy via abortion. And because the employer has NO SAY WHATEVER in the woman's decision, they have NO MORAL RESPONSIBILITY for whatever decision she makes. And this is why they HAVE NO MORAL GROUNDS for objecting to paying for this (or any) aspect of their employees health care.

TruthSetsFree

No. Not all abortions are immoral so to offer coverage would not be immoral. I do not consider using the morning after pill to be an abortion so no moral issue there either.

life begins at the beginning

If it did not

it would not GROW

and the time in the womb is the time of the most growth a human will EVER undergo...

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 15th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Is it immoral for an employer to offer a health insurance plan which includes abortion (including the morning after pill)?

Absolutely. They are giving their tacit approval of abortion by offering such insurance. By doing so they are just as a guilty as those that fund abortion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As expected, you are refusing to understand that pregnancy is not an on-the-job requirement.

This has nothing to do with being an *on the job requirement*. I am speaking of whether or not it is immoral for an employer to offer a health care plan with abortion.

Since abortion IS immoral, why would supplying these employees with coverage for *this* unnecessary procedure be seen as anything else?

So the employer does not get ANY say in a woman's choice to become pregnant

I never claimed they did ...

or to end a pregnancy via abortion.

They DO have a say in whether or not they HELP pay for the abortion via their healthcare coverage. That is what you do not seem to understand.

And because the employer has NO SAY WHATEVER in the woman's decision, they have NO MORAL RESPONSIBILITY for whatever decision she makes.

They most certainly do if they are providing the means.

And this is why they HAVE NO MORAL GROUNDS for objecting to paying for this (or any) aspect of their employees health care.

The *moral ground* is that abortion is the taking of an innocent life and employers should not be under any obligation to provide the employee with the means to do so.

Last edited:

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

toldailytopic: Is it immoral for an employer to offer a health insurance plan which includes abortion (including the morning after pill)?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Yes. It puts the employer in a compromised position where he can't give an impartial service because he is financially interested in his employees (the female ones) having abortions.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
That's simply not accurate. Any company that fires and employee for, say, sexual promiscuity in her private life, could be sued and would probably be found liable.

School districts, religious organizations, Boy Scouts, the military....

Your brains don't seem to be working so good today PureX.

Better give them a rest.

Try standing up for a while.

StanJ53

I'm going to assume you mean from a Christian perspective, and so yes it would be for a Christian employer to offer that.

Is this happening anywhere that anybody can confirm?

IMJerusha

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Interesting question. Just because a health care plan covers something doesn't mean one has to obtain that thing.
God frowns on sterilization to the point that it disqualifies one for a place in heaven and health care plans cover that. See Deuteronomy 23:1 So I would think that it is the act God frowns on and finds immoral, not the health care plan that covers it.

keypurr

No, they should mind their own business like we should.

jwp98

It's an issue of use versus abuse. All hormonal agents are potentially abortifacients. They work by suppressing ovulation, thickening cervical mucus, and preventing implantation. They have been wildly popular, including among Catholics and Protestants, for decades. They have dangerous and unpleasant side effects, but are not expensive. There is no legit need for insurance coverage.

I wonder whether in-patient only abortions would catalyze the necessary, unpopular, agonizing discussions. No, we like our solutions quick, dirty, free, and private. It's our "right".

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm going to assume you mean from a Christian perspective, and so yes it would be for a Christian employer to offer that.

Is this happening anywhere that anybody can confirm?

Pretty much everywhere in the US.

As of August 2012, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, dubbed Obamacare, requires employer-provided health care plans to provide "all Food and Drug Administration approved contraceptive methods, sterilization procedures, and patient education and counseling for all women with reproductive capacity," according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/11/hobby-lobbys-1-3-million-obamacare-loophole/

c777

It would be considered immoral (Leviticus 19:11) to place that in a health insurance plan. Do to the fact it is deceiving in the very nature. On one half you will be covered medically, but another you'd be opening yourself to being held accountable of possible murder.

One aspect of giving someone a medical insurance coverage, it is Leviticus 19:18 but with the ability to cover abortions it is causing Exodus 20:13 law to be broken.

PureX

This has nothing to do with being an *on the job requirement*. I am speaking of whether or not it is immoral for an employer to offer a health care plan with abortion.
I have already explained three times why it is not "immoral" for an employer to pay for employee health insurance.
Since abortion IS immoral, why would supplying these employees with coverage for *this* unnecessary procedure be seen as anything else?
Because the employer is not "supplying these employees with abortions" he is simply providing health insurance.
They DO have a say in whether or not they HELP pay for the abortion via their healthcare coverage. That is what you do not seem to understand.
Health care coverage is health care coverage. The employer can offer it as part of their employment compensation, or not. What they can't do, is decide for the employee what health care coverage is and is not "moral". Nor can they choose for their employees what health care they can have.

Health care shouldn't have anything to do with employment in the first place, but since it does, we can't allow employers or insurance companies to decide what health care is, what morality is, or who can have it. And that's what you want employers to do. You don't like abortion, so you will approve of ANY method, no matter how unfair or irrational, that stops someone from having an abortion. And this only harms your own cause, because you deny the ability to discern any other moral issue but your own.
They most certainly do if they are providing the means.
They are not providing the means. They are providing health care coverage to their employees.
The *moral ground* is that abortion is the taking of an innocent life and employers should not be under any obligation to provide the employee with the means to do so.
And with that presumed unassailable righteousness, you approve any and all action that furthers the anti-abortion agenda.

The problem with unassailable righteousness is that it locks one's mind and heart in a coat of intellectual cement.

StanJ53

This is a sad state of affairs for an act I thought was to bring BASIC health-care to ALL Americans. This doesn't happen in Canada. Health-care plans here do NOT provide these type of services because they are included in our Medicare system, funded by general tax revenue. Though effectively paid by some Christian tax dollars, it does NOT single out ANY particular group of people. I pray Hobby Lobby will be successful in defending itself.