toldailytopic: Is drinking alcohol a sin?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 19th, 2013 06:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

bybee

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

No, drinking alcohol is not a sin. The very first miracle of our Lord was at the wedding feast in Cana.
Alcoholism, on the other hand, is a sin!
There I've said it! I call it a sin. I will not let the politically correct agenda get away with calling it an illness.
It is a choice from the very beginning. Once the indulgence takes over it may become an illness.
The suffering that users and abusers cause their loved ones is almost incalculable. Yet, they persist.
I remember the first time I got talked into participating in group therapy as an "enabler"!
When I finally got my head together I came out fighting.
"I am not defined by the alcoholism/ drug addiction of some members of my family. I am affected by their behavior."
It became evident to me that the therapists wanted to lay the blame for their behavior at my door.
I simply don't buy that approach.
A perpetrator is responsible for his/her words and deeds.

Quincy

I'm not qualified to state whether or not something is a sin, as that is a religious concept. I'm not going to speak for a group of people I'm not a part of. I myself don't drink though, in my opinion it is bad.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Drinking alcohol is a neutral act ... depending on why and how one does it.

For is example: drinking to the point where you are a danger to others is always wrong.

Having a drink at lunch or dinner, for medicinal purposes or just to relax or socialize is not wrong.

bybee

I sin every day
and
I also drink beer every day

even during lent

I am a "work in progress"! Every night I read my Bible and ponder over the study guide. I gain new insights and grow in understanding of the Word.
Generally, I focus on the God-given gift of my life and try to make it count for good!
Of course, there is the problem of my temper....:dunce:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I am a "work in progress"! Every night I read my Bible and ponder over the study guide. I gain new insights and grow in understanding of the Word.
Generally, I focus on the God-given gift of my life and try to make it count for good!
Of course, there is the problem of my temper....:dunce:

I have noticed that

Selaphiel

No. Alcoholism is, but then again so is gluttony with regards to food and pretty much any other thing.

LKmommy

No. There is a clear distinction between drinking and *drinking to excess*. However, I can see a gray fuzzy path to the type of person who drinks to excess and then engages in poor/unfavorable or immoral behaviors and then I would have to say maybe "for that person". Yes for that person if they then go down a slippery path of self destructive behaviors that lack morals or conciousness.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
What kind of alcohol? :idunno:

Methanol? Probably a sin.

Same with IPA, n-propanol, n-butanol, isobutanol, t-butanol, .....

Best to stick with good ol' ethanol :thumb:

LKmommy

I was so happy to have been unaware of that :dizzy:

You must be out of the "loop" to know this "craze" that has been around a few years. The first reports were from high school teachers who could observe that the teens were somehow intoxicated but could find smell alcohol on their breath or on their person. Sadly, there are many youtube "homemade movies" made glorifying this new twisted well...way to have a drink?

Maybe I should edit and put a warning next to that link Ress?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
We had a policy at the inner city school I taught in that kids couldn't have water bottles, pop bottles, no closed container of any kind.

Too many of them were sneaking in alcohol that way.

It's just not the same problem at the school I've been working at for the last three years. :idunno:

LKmommy

We had a policy at the inner city school I taught in that kids couldn't have water bottles, pop bottles, no closed container of any kind.

Too many of them were sneaking in alcohol that way.

It's just not the same problem at the school I've been working at for the last three years. :idunno:

Well now you know....if you see an intoxicated teen and can't figure out where it came from, take them to the nurse?