toldailytopic: In your opinion, what is the ONE worst thing about public schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Well whoopty-doo for New England. Florida schools are quite the opposite, especially in recent years. More so in the district where I work. I'm getting the impression that I'm one of the better teachers, which is really sad considering that I'm a non-certified substitute.

And yes folks, as seen in this post (for first time listeners, Persephone66 is a transexual) all sorts of sexual deviancy is allowed in the public school system these days.

Jukia

And yes folks, as seen in this post (for first time listeners, Persephone66 is a transexual) all sorts of sexual deviancy is allowed in the public school system these days.

Boy are you fixated on your own concept of perversion and deviancy. Again, I think thou doth protest too much.

yokefellow

I would say the worst thing(s) are the institutions that run public schools: the government and the unions.

I will also add parents who don't care about their children and expect teachers to babysit and solve all of their kid's problems. That doesn't help either.

Jukia

I would say the worst thing(s) are the institutions that run public schools: the government and the unions.

Should schools be run so as to save the most $? If so, then after a teacher has been there, oh 10 years, terminate them and hire someone right out of college. Does that make sense? Well, not if you want good, experience committed teachers. Teacher unions protect that.
I understand that there are bad, uncaring tenured teachers, and unions that go out of their way to keep them cause they think that is their job. But the vast majority of teachers are good and care about the work they do.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned

All sorts of sexual deviancy? what do you mean by this?

When I applied for the position and was hired, they were concerned with my qualifications for the position. You know, important things like my education and experience. There was no question of my personal life or bedroom habits. They did do a criminal background check on me, which only turned up a few fix-it-tickets for having a light out on my car.

If the school board is not concerned with my personal life or bedroom habits, why are you?

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
The worst thing is the pace. They go ahead, before everyone 'gets it' and students get left behind, while others suffer being slowed by the pace. My kids are at Cornerstone Christian Academy this year, the first time we've had them in private school, and my daughter is able to continue to progress, rather than be held back by the other students or rushed through any lessons or concepts that might be puzzling to her. She's reading at a ninth-grade level, and she's ten years old.

That's one thing that made me hate my job as a teacher. They would tell me I have to move on. I would say that the kids are not getting it and need more time. They would say that was noble of me to think of that but I have to move on anyway.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Not letting teachers teach and discipline their classes. Everything has become so PC that teachers find themselves quite unable to do what they are paid and usually love to do - teach.

Aimiel

Too many kids growing up never having been disciplined in anything, or ever even hearing the word, "No."

yokefellow

Should schools be run so as to save the most $? If so, then after a teacher has been there, oh 10 years, terminate them and hire someone right out of college. Does that make sense? Well, not if you want good, experience committed teachers. Teacher unions protect that.
I understand that there are bad, uncaring tenured teachers, and unions that go out of their way to keep them cause they think that is their job. But the vast majority of teachers are good and care about the work they do.

In virtually every other profession/job there is, most people can be hired or fired at will. Why should teachers be treated differently? Why should I sympathize when the rest of us in our jobs can be fired and replaced with someone right out of college? I'm not saying it's right, but that's part of being employed. If you don't like it, you find a job elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong: I agree that schools should want good, experienced teachers. And if the school has any credibility, they will want to retain those good teachers. Wouldn't a school with a high turnover rate look a little suspicious? My husband has been teaching for 13+ years and has never been in the union. He works his tail off and I know his hard work is valued and respected by his school/employer. He doesn't need the union to protect him for doing his job well, nor does he want to support an organization that works to protect BAD teachers from being fired.

Aimiel

The world is full of examples of colossal failure. K-Mart was once the pinnacle of quick and cheap shopping. Sears was the world's largest retailer, for decades. They've both proven that if you're not improving and making demands on yourself for growth, you've become stagnant, and just like water, when stagnant, all sorts of things can grow and fester, and the filth can make any success nearly impossible. Complacency is one of the illnesses our world has combated for a long time, but it isn't easy to convince someone who's content that they need to get up and not only fight to keep their place, but strive for even more, constantly.

Lon

As a Christian school teacher and public school teacher, I gave this a bit of thought.
It gets complicated because we are not only looking at educational problems, but government problems, societal problems, financial problems etc. such that picking any one thing is difficult.

I remember when Christianity was taught just as much as every other subject or religion in class. I think censorship 1st, had no grounds and should have lost their court cases 2nd eliminated a balanced and informed worldview. That's just dumb.
Other considerations for a top seven list must be: Political interference, class size, teacher time constraints/low pay, school funding or mismanagement, less parental involvement and passing the buck, a general lack of value (commitment to) education.

keypurr

You really don't want a teacher teaching your children about religion, that is your job. Maybe you don't know enough about your own religion to teach it.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
You really don't want a teacher teaching your children about religion, that is your job. Maybe you don't know enough about your own religion to teach it.

I agree. Same goes for teaching morals and values. The school is the place for reading, writing, maths, science history and such, not for pushing religion or some social agenda.

Lon

The stories are fine. The subject isn't indoctrination, but 'about.'

This is what this man/group believed and how it influenced history. This is how this particular belief influences a nation. This particular observance, and so forth. To not say anything is censorship.

Teaching about one president's faith, what moral values influence laws, or who Abraham was is not indoctrination, but it is religion.

So, I disagree with both of you that religion should be taboo as it relates to our history, laws, biographies, etc.
That, again, is censorship. No law should allow or encourage this.

I remember reading about native americans and their belief in George Washington's 'strong medicine.' It lead into a discussion about Washington and his faith. The book was removed from the classroom. That was censorship.

Lon

I agree. Same goes for teaching morals and values. The school is the place for reading, writing, maths, science history and such, not for pushing religion or some social agenda.
Uhggg, so "No Billy, you can't hit Robert isn't allowed because morals and values shouldn't be taught in school. Good grief.

Perhaps your next topic, Knight, as we are off topic.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Uhggg, so "No Billy, you can't hit Robert isn't allowed because morals and values shouldn't be taught in school. Good grief.

Perhaps your next topic, Knight, as we are off topic.

Had Billy been taught morals and values by his parents, he may not have hit Robert. If his parents have failed, well that's why schools have some sort of a policy that punishes students that attack other students.

zoo22

The stories are fine. The subject isn't indoctrination, but 'about.'

This is what this man/group believed and how it influenced history. This is how this particular belief influences a nation. This particular observance, and so forth. To not say anything is censorship.

Teaching about one president's faith, what moral values influence laws, or who Abraham was is not indoctrination, but it is religion.

So, I disagree with both of you that religion should be taboo as it relates to our history, laws, biographies, etc.
That, again, is censorship. No law should allow or encourage this.

I remember reading about native americans and their belief in George Washington's 'strong medicine.' It lead into a discussion about Washington and his faith. The book was removed from the classroom. That was censorship.

I think religion (as in religionS) should be taught in public school, alongside Geography, History, English, Math, etc. Religion shapes our world so much... Is such an integral component. I think it would be helpful for kids to actually learn about religion. Similarities, differences, crossovers... I imagine implementing it into the curriculum would be a complete fiasco, with oppositions from all sides.

Nydhogg

I used to tell my students the same thing my calc teacher in college told me - "You never know when you will be kidnapped by a deranged mathematician!"

Yeah, good for a laugh, but not all that effective. Showing them where they could use it worked best it seems, but only if it was something they are interested in doing. *sigh*

I always despised math. Then I got into IT. I realized I had to learn good math to write good code. The damned thing just "clicked" and it started making sense. And now I love math.

Lon

Had Billy been taught morals and values by his parents, he may not have hit Robert. If his parents have failed, well that's why schools have some sort of a policy that punishes students that attack other students.
Policies? So you really are for teaching/enforcing moral values in school then. Thanks.

Back to the OP

Status
Not open for further replies.