toldailytopic: If you voted for Obama, do you regret it?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 6th, 2011 11:40 AM

toldailytopic: If you voted for Obama, do you regret it?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

some other dude

Voted for him. Still don't regret it. Can't think what a better outcome would have been.

McCain croaks right after the swearing-in ceremony.

President Palin!

President-Palin-s-Oval-Office-47198.jpg

Granite

Hall of Fame
I have to believe his supporters all have a varying degree of buyer's remorse. How could you not?

Granite

Hall of Fame
By recognizing what the alternative(s) were.

That may be, but if I'd voted for him and actually bought into the rhetoric and the promises, I'd be infuriated. He hasn't just failed to deliver--he's directly betrayed what he sold the supporters who believed in him. I think trusting a politician is a sucker's bet, but many of the folks who voted for him really trusted the guy. He's broken every single promise he made and has pursued policies so directly opposed to what he ran as, against, and for, that it's nothing short of astonishing anyone listens to him anymore.

rexlunae

That may be, but if I'd voted for him and actually bought into the rhetoric and the promises, I'd be infuriated.

The hopey-changey populist claptrap? I never really did like that aspect of his rhetoric.

He hasn't just failed to deliver--he's directly betrayed what he sold the supporters who believed in him.

True on many counts, no doubt about it. I didn't expect that he'd succeed at everything he promised.

I think trusting a politician is a sucker's bet, but many of the folks who voted for him really trusted the guy. He's broken every single promise he made and has pursued policies so directly opposed to what he ran as, against, and for, that it's nothing short of astonishing anyone listens to him anymore.

He got health care reform passed. His policy on Libya seems to have worked, and also fits with the sort of humble foreign policy that he offered in the champaign. He's at least tried to move on climate change. He tried (but failed) to stop the Bush tax cuts from being renewed. His stance on gay marriage and rights was a bit muddy before, and his policy as president hasn't changed that, although he has driven the push to repeal DADT. The DoMA still stands, for now, but I expect the courts will deal with it. He lifted the ban on embryonic stem cell research.

He's backpedaled on any number of issues. Most of those, I think, are forgivable, especially given the political climate and the degree of hostility of Congress. I do sometimes wish he had more backbone, but it does seem like his humble approach often works out ultimately.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/2008-presidential-candidates/issues/candidates/barack-obama/

Yazichestvo

I voted for him, and probably will again, just because the alternative is unthinkable. Pretty much the only purpose he seems to be serving right now is keeping the Republicans from getting total control... and I think the republicans still have a worse track record, no matter what you've been told. Obama's greatest fault has been compromising with them, and the financial problems we're seeing have more to do with him continuing previous policies than introducing new ones. In short, not much change.

rexlunae

what are your top three issues?

I don't know that I could prioritize that way, honestly. There are a few immovable points for me, and a bunch of stuff that I'm flexible on. But in the end, it comes down to something like voting for the lesser of two evils.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I don't know that I could prioritize that way, honestly. There are a few immovable points for me, and a bunch of stuff that I'm flexible on. But in the end, it comes down to something like voting for the lesser of two evils.

you can't even name one issue?

rexlunae

you can't even name one issue?

Ok, I don't want the next President to be under the impression that (s)he is the nation's spiritual or religious leader. That's maybe my top priority. But only maybe.

That's not how I think about it. I listen to what the candidates think is important, and make a judgement largely on that basis. For example, Rick Perry decided that it was a worthy use of his office as governor to call a huge prayer meeting. That tells me he thinks he's running for Pope, not President, so I probably won't vote for him. I wouldn't disqualify someone just for being an evangelical, or a Mormon for that matter, but when they make an issue of it, that's when I have a problem.

And I should amend what I said earlier. Romney is at least interesting enough to listen to for me.

Granite

Hall of Fame
He looks like their best shot, but the Mormon angle and the hard right's mistrust will stop him short of the party nomination.

Agreed. Leaving...

:shocked: :doh: :nono: :jawdrop:

I really can't believe this is gonna come down to Perry and Obama.