toldailytopic: IF you could push a button and immediately be in Heaven, would you do

csuguy

I would choose to stay on earth rather than be ushered into heaven immediately. Eternal life, living with God, these are the rewards of those who have run the race and persevered to the end. It is our duty and privilege to live this life for God; we should not run from doing his work.

csuguy

For the record: both Knight and Trad are wrong. We neither go to purgatory nor to heaven. Rather, heaven and earth shall be remade and we shall live on earth - and God himself will come down from heaven and rule us directly, no longer via mediation.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
This is a great question. I would choose to live out my life here on earth.

Eternity is a long time, (it's forever). Yet life here on earth is quick, therefore I want to enjoy every possible second of it. I will have plenty of time to enjoy heaven.
^
This

In other words, an ejection seat on life that we can operate outselves? No. That would be selfish. It is God's job to pull the rip cord and have me eject. With good reason we don't have a button we can just push and be in Heaven. Trying to eject ourselves is a cop out on life.
I don't even think God is responsible for this. No one chooses when we die.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 14th, 2012 08:26 AM

toldailytopic: IF you could push a button and immediately be in Heaven, would you do it?Or would you choose to live out your life until you die?

If I found out about the button before I was twenty-one (My daughter was born then), right after I had gone through nineteen years of abuse and being raped a year before, I would have said yes. I would have chosen to push the button. The years prior to that had been horrific and I had no reason to believe that the following years were going to be any different. I would have rather been in Heaven than face more of what I had gone through before then.

If I were to find the button now, although I would love to spend eternity in God's presence, I would want to wait and see if I can help others to find a relationship with Christ.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
But Trad is right; SoJ's is much different than yours. :p
:chuckle: Oh, I know. And I won't pretend that preaching the gospel was the primary thing I had in mind with my post. But Trad posted that passage from Matthew and said the answer was easy. I don't think it is in light of what SoJ posted. By taking up our crosses, I don't think Jesus meant teleporting out of here. ;)

My alternative phrasing would be "If God wished to take you tomorrow, would you be willing to go?"

I am also attached to the things of this world. :D
Maybe God would let you take your bicycle with you. :eek: Can you imagine riding on streets of gold?? :D

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
:chuckle: Oh, I know. And I won't pretend that preaching the gospel was the primary thing I had in mind with my post. But Trad posted that passage from Matthew and said the answer was easy. I don't think it is in light of what SoJ posted. By taking up our crosses, I don't think Jesus meant teleporting out of here. ;)

My point was simple: We are to love God with "all of your heart, all of your mind, and all of your strength." I won't post the verse, since I'm sure that you know the one.

God is the primary object of all of our love. Nothing else is to be preferred to union with Him.

And of course, it's easy for you Protestants. You believe that all you have to do is make some vague profession of faith in Christ, and you're set for life.

Not so for Catholics. At one moment, the Catholic may be in a state of grace. But at another moment, he may fall into a state of mortal sin. It's uncertain what the future may bring.

Perhaps refusing God's offer to go to Heaven now might mean going to Hell later.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
My point was simple: We are to love God with "all of your heart, all of your mind, and all of your strength." I won't post the verse, since I'm sure that you know the one.

God is the primary object of all of our love. Nothing else is to be preferred to union with Him.

And of course, it's easy for you Protestants. You believe that all you have to do is make some vague profession of faith in Christ, and you're set for life.

Not so for Catholics. At one moment, the Catholic may be in a state of grace. But at another moment, he may fall into a state of mortal sin. It's uncertain what the future may bring.

Perhaps refusing God's offer to go to Heaven now might mean going to Hell later.
I wouldn't lump all Protestants together together in saying all they have to do is make some vague profession of faith.

And I'm sorry you seem to live in constant fear. Perfect love casts out fear. Worry and paranoia aren't fruit of the spirit, Trad.

:e4e:

aaronhop

No, I wouldn't press the button. I am enjoying my life right now, and I'm in no hurry to get to the afterlife. I hope to live as long as I can, and hope to experience a lot before I die.