toldailytopic: If it was proved that homosexuality was genetic, would it then make it

Silent Hunter

For a Christian to read and apply Old Testament Law does require some discernment. We have to look at things like, were there exceptions to the law, or did it apply to foreigners in the land. there is a lot more to it, but it's pretty involved and is therefore a topic for another thread.
Either OT law applies to you or it doesn't . . .

Let's assume that the OT laws concerning homosexuality don't apply to foreigners (ie, non-christians) . . . now what?

Granite

Hall of Fame
@ Angel...

Really, its monstrous to believe that people can do things that pass things their children and other generations of people?

But that's not what you said, Angel. This is what you said: "Genetics can be defective because of sin having been somewhere in the bloodline, so hate to break it to you, but it would change nothing."

We were talking about sexual orientation being determined by genetics. You got the (predictably bizarre, predictably warped) idea that somehow, somewhere, homosexuality might be caused by "defective" or "sinful" genes. I didn't realize that we still talked about "bloodlines" in the 21st century. I thought certain Germans made eugenics unpopular a long time ago.:rolleyes:

What did Jesus say about the man born blind? I'll wait. (I think I know the response you'll use to that question, if only because when Jesus is inconvenient, Christians ignore him.)

So in your nutso bizarro world the parents of homosexuals everywhere are just passing on "defective" or "sinful" genes. Charming. Positively charming.

Last edited:

alwight

For a Christian to read and apply Old Testament Law does require some discernment. We have to look at things like, were there exceptions to the law, or did it apply to foreigners in the land. there is a lot more to it, but it's pretty involved and is therefore a topic for another thread.
Surely however the more homophobic Christians will likely discern that because they just happen to enjoy eating shellfish then that need not apply, while otoh because they don't happen to like or are not gay themselves or are perhaps hiding the fact that they are (like ACW perhaps? :D) then they will discern that oh yes that one can apply.

This coming from someone who has dumped the entire book! Your Jedi mind tricks wont work with me boy!
Not entirely dumped, I enjoy the KJV for it's prosaic style and turn of phrase while it also does contain actual wisdom imo, well, some.

Anyway "I am not the Jedi you are looking for", btw.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It sounded like you were trying to correct Delmar on his Star Wars quote.

Wile E. Coyote

Surely however the more homophobic Christians will likely discern that because they just happen to enjoy eating shellfish then that need not apply, while otoh because they don't happen to like or are not gay themselves or are perhaps hiding the fact that they are (like ACW perhaps? :D) then they will discern that oh yes that one can apply.
There is no such thing as a "homophobic Christian." This is what christophobes call the righteous.

Wile E. Coyote

Shellfish merchants are out there brazenly flaunting their wares of shrimps, clams, crabs and lobsters as if it were acceptable normal food, why don't we hear about them from Christians?
Could it be that straight right wing Christians like to eat shellfish :shocked:?
Never mind abomination if it should ever affect what they like to do, oh no!

Leviticus 11:10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
Leviticus 11:11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.
Leviticus 11:12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Ah the old last ditch defence I see.
So we can disregard all the abominations found in Leviticus presumably and perhaps remove the whole book from the Bible? Why have it in there if it doesn't apply to Christians?

These below will be two verses we can all happily ignore now as not applicable, which will be progress perhaps. I wonder what else can be dumped? :think:

Leviticus 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

TO ALL,

Alwight is attempting to show that homosexuality is on the same level with eating shellfish. But the Hebrew words regarding eating shellfish and men copulating in men are not the same.

The word in Hebrews 11 regarding shellfish should be translated "vermin."

Leviticus 11:10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be vermin to you:

Leviticus 11:11 They shall be even vermin to you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall treat their dead bodies as those of vermin.

Leviticus 11:12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be vermin to you.

The scriptures which prohibit homosexuality use a different Hebrew word. Furthermore, under the old covenant certain animals were ceremonially unclean but this is no longer the case. Paul said that all meats have been cleansed and that none of them are unclean of themselves. But men copulating in men has not been cleansed by God. The scripture in Leviticus goes on to say that men may not copulate in beasts.

No doubt Alwight would approve of men copulating in beasts too.

Alate_One

Why would you? Who is out there saying that it is OK to cheat people in a business deal? If nobody was claiming that homosexuality was normal and acceptable we wouldn't be bringing the issue up.
But it has become a commonplace part of what people call "free markets". There's no railing by Christians against banks that caused the financial meltdown through corrupt deals. In fact, many Christians are on the side of politicians that want to protect banks by removing the (still inadequate) financial reforms signed into law by Obama.

You accept this abomination as normal, you pretend it doesn't exist and that the rich and corporations are on your side. When it is they that cheat and steal and destroy the economy for everyone else!

Scripture warns against this very thing.

James 2

My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. 2 For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, 3 and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, “You sit here in a good place,” while you say to the poor man, “You stand over there,” or, “Sit down at my feet,” 4 have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? 5 Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who blaspheme the honorable name by which you were called?

Yet Christians seem obsessed with homosexuality above all other sins and even abominations.

alwight

TO ALL,

Alwight is attempting to show that homosexuality is on the same level with eating shellfish. But the Hebrew words regarding eating shellfish and men copulating in men are not the same.

The word in Hebrews 11 regarding shellfish should be translated "vermin."

Leviticus 11:10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be vermin to you:

Leviticus 11:11 They shall be even vermin to you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall treat their dead bodies as those of vermin.

Leviticus 11:12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be vermin to you.

The scriptures which prohibit homosexuality use a different Hebrew word. Furthermore, under the old covenant certain animals were ceremonially unclean but this is no longer the case. Paul said that all meats have been cleansed and that none of them are unclean of themselves. But men copulating in men has not been cleansed by God. The scripture in Leviticus goes on to say that men may not copulate in beasts.

No doubt Alwight would approve of men copulating in beasts too.
Thanks for bumping my posts Wile but I think you'll find that your Christian homophobic rather uses the words actually found in the Bible not your albeit academic apologetic modifications.

Wile E. Coyote

Thanks for bumping my posts Wile but I think you'll find that your Christian homophobic rather uses the words actually found in the Bible not your albeit academic apologetic modifications.
You have listed homosexuality with eating shellfish. But homosexuality is listed with sins such as looking upon your own mother's nakedness, your sister's nakedness and copulating in beasts.

If you want to deny the scriptures go ahead. But when you try to pass yourself off as qualified to comment on the scriptures you make yourself look like a fool.

Stick with being an athiest.

GuySmiley

But it has become a commonplace part of what people call "free markets". There's no railing by Christians against banks that caused the financial meltdown through corrupt deals. In fact, many Christians are on the side of politicians that want to protect banks by removing the (still inadequate) financial reforms signed into law by Obama.

You accept this abomination as normal, you pretend it doesn't exist and that the rich and corporations are on your side. When it is they that cheat and steal and destroy the economy for everyone else!

Scripture warns against this very thing.

James 2

My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. 2 For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, 3 and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, “You sit here in a good place,” while you say to the poor man, “You stand over there,” or, “Sit down at my feet,” 4 have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? 5 Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who blaspheme the honorable name by which you were called?

Yet Christians seem obsessed with homosexuality above all other sins and even abominations.
I missed the Bankers-pride parades where they drive the poor in front of them with whips. I missed pop-culture figures campaigning to get us to accept the crooked banker's actions as morally acceptable. I missed the sitcoms on TV portraying crooked bankers as sympethic characters. I missed where people started to use the term bankingphobe to describe people who are against what the banks have done.

Nice try, but even you dont believe what you are saying.

Granite

Hall of Fame
You have listed homosexuality with eating shellfish. But homosexuality is listed with sins such as looking upon your own mother's nakedness, your sister's nakedness and copulating in beasts.

If you want to deny the scriptures go ahead. But when you try to pass yourself off as qualified to comment on the scriptures you make yourself look like a fool.

...such as having sex with a menstruating woman. So once again, when convenient, you guys just keep on picking and choosing as it suits you.

You obsess over this particular behavior. All of you. Think of the energy, time, imagination, and resources used and wasted. Why don't you open a soup kitchen, or something? Give away your possessions? Why don't you do what you were told to do?

alwight

Nevertheless in the Bible they are all described as abominations to God, while you now imo simply want to retrospectively rewrite its words merely to cover for your so far cherry picked observance of God's requirements.

I really don't think I'm the one denying the Bible Wile, you are imo. :plain:

Yes fear not, until rational evidence says otherwise I will.