toldailytopic: Guns: Good thing? Or bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selaphiel

They are not banned here, but there are very strict rules for getting one. I do not have one, nor will I get one. But it is hard for me to make definite statements on how gun laws should be in other countries since I do not live there and therefore do not know the situation.
I consider myself a troubled pacifist though. By that I mean Im pacifist by principle even though I recognize that there are some good arguments against it.

Son of Jack

With regard to the OP, I don't own guns and I don't really have a desire to own one. I have family that owns several and use them for hunting. But, I agree with the others who wrote that it all depends on who's behind the weapon.

Thunder's Muse

They are not banned here, but there are very strict rules for getting one. I do not have one, nor will I get one. But it is hard for me to make definite statements on how gun laws should be in other countries since I do not live there and therefore do not know the situation.
I consider myself a troubled pacifist though. By that I mean Im pacifist by principle even though I recognize that there are some good arguments against it.

Are you in Aussie Land?

Thunder's Muse

So, I had a quick search online and found the following:

State laws govern the possession and use of firearms in Australia. These laws were largely aligned under the 1996 National Agreement on Firearms. Anyone wishing to possess or use a firearm must have a Firearms Licence and, with some exceptions, be over the age of 18. Owners must have secure storage for their firearms.

Before someone can buy a firearm, he or she must obtain a Permit To Acquire. The first permit has a mandatory 28 day delay before it is first issued. In some states (e.g. Queensland, Victoria, and New South Wales), this is waived for second and subsequent firearms of the same class. For each firearm a "Genuine Reason" must be given, relating to pest control, hunting, target shooting, or collecting. Self-defense is not accepted as a reason for issuing a licence, though it may be legal under certain circumstances to use a legally-held firearm for self-defence. [4]

Each firearm in Australia must be registered to the owner by serial number. Some states allow an owner to store or borrow another person's registered firearm of the same category.

[edit] Firearms categories
Firearms in Australia are grouped into Categories with different levels of control. The categories are:

Category A: rimfire rifle (not semi-automatic), shotguns (not pump-action or semi-automatic), air rifles, and paintball markers.

Category B: centrefire rifles (not semi-automatic), muzzleloading firearms made after 1 January 1901.

Category C: semi-automatic rimfire rifles holding 10 or fewer rounds and pump-action or semi-automatic shotguns holding 5 or fewer rounds. (Restricted: only primary producers, occupational shooters, collectors and some clay target shooters can own functional Category C firearms)

Category D: semi-automatic centrefire rifles, pump-action/semi-automatic shotguns holding more than 5 rounds (functional Category D firearms are restricted to occupational shooters; collectors may own deactivated Category D firearms).[2]

Category H: handguns including air pistols, deactivated handguns and guns less than 65 cm long. Target shooters are limited to handguns of .38 calibre or less.
(Participants in "approved" competitions may acquire handguns up to .45", currently Single Action Shooting and Metallic Silhouette. IPSC shooting is not "approved" for the larger calibres, for unstated reasons. Category H barrels must be at least 100 mm (3.94") long for revolvers, and 120 mm (4.72") for semi-automatic pistols, and magazines are restricted to 10 rounds. Handgun collectors are exempt from the laws stated above.)

Category R/E: restricted weapons: machine guns, rocket launchers, assault rifles, flame-throwers, anti-tank guns, Howitzers, artillery, .50-calibre BMG weapons, etc. (Collectors in some states only, weapons must be comprehensively deactivated. Deactivated firearms are still subject to the same storage and licensing requirements as 'live' firearms in many states.)
Antique firearms can in some states be legally bought without licences. In other states they are subject to the same requirements as modern firearms.

All single-shot muzzleloading firearms manufactured before 1 January 1901 are considered antique firearms. Four states require licences for antique percussion revolvers and cartridge repeating firearms but in Queensland and Victoria a person may possess such a firearm without a license, so long as the firearm is registered.

Australia also has tight restrictions on air pistols, airsoft guns, and replica firearms. Suppressors (or 'silencers') are extremely restricted and generally not available to most shooters.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia

Now, I will admit I know nothing about guns and half of what was written there makes no sense to me at all..but how do these laws differ from America's?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 15th, 2009 10:46 AM

toldailytopic: Guns: Good thing? Or bad thing?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Depends.

One Eyed Jack

Before guns, people were hacking at each other with swords, axes, and maces or shooting each other with slings, bows, and crossbows or impaling each other with lances and spears. Yeah, it's pretty easy to imagine how much better off we'd be without guns.

If I recall correctly, the first murder was committed with a rock. Maybe we should ban those too.

You know, I just looked it up, and it doesn't say what Cain used to kill Able. Still, I always figured it was a rock. Maybe I got the idea from a movie or something.

Last edited:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
If I recall correctly, the first murder was committed with a rock. Maybe we should ban those too.

You know, I just looked it up, and it doesn't say what Cain used to kill Able. Still, I always figured it was a rock. Maybe I got the idea from a movie or something.

He used a candlestick......and he did it in the Library. :plain:

.....or was that Col. Mustard? :think:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:think: If Cain killed Able today he would use a Glock.....cuz they're evil. You can tell cuz they are black.

and plastic

and they fire Teflon coated, baby piercing, cop-killer bullets. :plain:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

State laws govern the possession and use of firearms in Australia. These laws were largely aligned under the 1996 National Agreement on Firearms. Anyone wishing to possess or use a firearm must have a Firearms Licence and, with some exceptions, be over the age of 18. Owners must have secure storage for their firearms.

Before someone can buy a firearm, he or she must obtain a Permit To Acquire. The first permit has a mandatory 28 day delay before it is first issued. In some states (e.g. Queensland, Victoria, and New South Wales), this is waived for second and subsequent firearms of the same class. For each firearm a "Genuine Reason" must be given, relating to pest control, hunting, target shooting, or collecting. Self-defense is not accepted as a reason for issuing a licence, though it may be legal under certain circumstances to use a legally-held firearm for self-defence. [4]

Each firearm in Australia must be registered to the owner by serial number. Some states allow an owner to store or borrow another person's registered firearm of the same category.

[edit] Firearms categories
Firearms in Australia are grouped into Categories with different levels of control. The categories are:

Category A: rimfire rifle (not semi-automatic), shotguns (not pump-action or semi-automatic), air rifles, and paintball markers.

Category B: centrefire rifles (not semi-automatic), muzzleloading firearms made after 1 January 1901.

Category C: semi-automatic rimfire rifles holding 10 or fewer rounds and pump-action or semi-automatic shotguns holding 5 or fewer rounds. (Restricted: only primary producers, occupational shooters, collectors and some clay target shooters can own functional Category C firearms)

Category D: semi-automatic centrefire rifles, pump-action/semi-automatic shotguns holding more than 5 rounds (functional Category D firearms are restricted to occupational shooters; collectors may own deactivated Category D firearms).[2]

Category H: handguns including air pistols, deactivated handguns and guns less than 65 cm long. Target shooters are limited to handguns of .38 calibre or less.
(Participants in "approved" competitions may acquire handguns up to .45", currently Single Action Shooting and Metallic Silhouette. IPSC shooting is not "approved" for the larger calibres, for unstated reasons. Category H barrels must be at least 100 mm (3.94") long for revolvers, and 120 mm (4.72") for semi-automatic pistols, and magazines are restricted to 10 rounds. Handgun collectors are exempt from the laws stated above.)

Category R/E: restricted weapons: machine guns, rocket launchers, assault rifles, flame-throwers, anti-tank guns, Howitzers, artillery, .50-calibre BMG weapons, etc. (Collectors in some states only, weapons must be comprehensively deactivated. Deactivated firearms are still subject to the same storage and licensing requirements as 'live' firearms in many states.)
Antique firearms can in some states be legally bought without licences. In other states they are subject to the same requirements as modern firearms.

All single-shot muzzleloading firearms manufactured before 1 January 1901 are considered antique firearms. Four states require licences for antique percussion revolvers and cartridge repeating firearms but in Queensland and Victoria a person may possess such a firearm without a license, so long as the firearm is registered.

Australia also has tight restrictions on air pistols, airsoft guns, and replica firearms. Suppressors (or 'silencers') are extremely restricted and generally not available to most shooters.[3]

Now, I will admit I know nothing about guns and half of what was written there makes no sense to me at all..but how do these laws differ from America's?

Most of the guns I used have fallen into your category A through C other than a few hunting revolvers. I shall not explain the use of the revolver for hunting here; however, it has a practical use. Outside this, are defense pistols such as the 45 ACP, as for many reasons, it has better applications. I carried only on occasion and as an officer for the state of Texas.

Jackson

Really airsoft guns :confused:

Now that is dumb. We use arisoft guns a couple of times a month. We go out put on safety glasses and shoot the livin tar out of each other. It is an incredible rush. :Grizzly:

torrent85

Really? Are they like the Paintball guns?

I would say they are safer than a paintball gun.

The pellets are made out of a soft foam I don't even think they would leave a bruise like paintballs do.

Now the only problem I would see with them is they make them look like the real thing. So cops could mistake them. Maybe a safer then sorry type thing. Still a little extreme.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You are right. How silly I was to have added that feature to my hypothetical weapon. :doh:

Actually, you said the question is, is it better to have superior firepower, and simply listed a theoretical scenario as an example. And I already answered it, and let you know why that particular scenario is no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.