toldailytopic: Generally, do you have the same political views as your parents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 26th, 2010 10:19 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Aimiel

Generally. I learned from them: common sense always applies. They were just as frustrated with two-faced politics in the USA as we are today.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yep, so far as I know. My father may lean against the death penalty but off the top of my head that's probably the only big difference.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Generally, do you have the same political views as your parents?

:think: No, but then again I'm taller.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My political views are very much the same as my parents which is sort of interesting because I went through such a long stage in my life where I ignored politics altogether.

Then, when I became more interested in politics and began to solidify my own views it was interesting to see how similar they were to my parents views even though we really didn't talk much about those issues.

Even prior to my conversion to Christianity I have always been very conservative (as that is just plain common sense) but I'm thankful that I was raised in a family that placed personal responsibility and high moral standards at a premium.

Selaphiel

Depends on the issue. I'm conservative as my father when it comes to crime (but both are opposed to the death penalty), but as opposed to my father I'm not a fiscal conservative and I'm much more of an environmentalist than him.

I consider myself a political moderate and overall politics is not something that I'm very concerned with.

Aimiel

My first interest in politics came when I was still too young to vote... George Wallace was running for president. I thought, "What's wrong with this picture?" Neither of my parents liked him, thank God.

I remember when I was about ten, on a vacation on our way to Florida, we stopped at a restaurant in a southern state, and ordered. While clearing tables, a young black waitress dropped a tray full of dishes, several of which broke. The cook or owner yelled at her like she was a stray dog. Just then our waitress brought our food. Dad had us get up and leave, without paying the bill. I will never forget that. My dad has always been my hero.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My first interest in politics came when I was still too young to vote... George Wallace was running for president. I thought, "What's wrong with this picture?" Neither of my parents liked him, thank God.

I remember when I was about ten, on a vacation on our way to Florida, we stopped at a restaurant in a southern state, and ordered. While clearing tables, a young black waitress dropped a tray full of dishes, several of which broke. The cook or owner yelled at her like she was a stray dog. Just then our waitress brought our food. Dad had us get up and leave, without paying the bill. I will never forget that. My dad has always been my hero.
That's a neat story but what does it have to do with politics?

Conservative or liberal... anyone should oppose that type of treatment to another individual.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Why do you suppose you ended up with a different political world-view?

Well, my father is fairly conservative, but he's always been willing to consider an issue on the merits. My mother is a real mixture and closer to being what I'd call a harder right leaning moderate.

I suppose I'd put my status down to a mistrust of polarized political thinking, experience with both sides of the political coin, and as a product of my education. A good lawyer learns to do more than simply understand his opponent's argument, he learns to anticipate it, which requires him to become familiar with the contrary position to the point where he's capable of sustaining its arguments and advancing potential arguments from it...it's a bit like what a profiler does with criminal thought processes.

Because of that training I tend to see merit in both approaches, though when either are followed exclusively I find their merits to be overwhelmed by the mistakes dogmatic allegiance of that sort carries with it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Remember, many people are politicaly confused. They are conservative, yet vote for people who hate them and their values. So they reward them with votes over and over.

Specificaly for me, mostly. But not all the way.

BabyChristian

My political views are very much the same as my parents which is sort of interesting because I went through such a long stage in my life where I ignored politics altogether.

Then, when I became more interested in politics and began to solidify my own views it was interesting to see how similar they were to my parents views even though we really didn't talk much about those issues.

Even prior to my conversion to Christianity I have always been very conservative (as that is just plain common sense) but I'm thankful that I was raised in a family that placed personal responsibility and high moral standards at a premium.

My exact story.

BabyChristian

I suppose I'd put my status down to a mistrust of polarized political thinking, experience with both sides of the political coin, and as a product of my education. A good lawyer learns to do more than simply understand his opponent's argument, he learns to anticipate it, which requires him to become familiar with the contrary position to the point where he's capable of sustaining its arguments and advancing potential arguments from it...it's a bit like what a profiler does with criminal thought processes.

Because of that training I tend to see merit in both approaches, though when either are followed exclusively I find their merits to be overwhelmed by the mistakes dogmatic allegiance of that sort carries with it.

Are you one of those? :chuckle:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 26th, 2010 10:19 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

With the exception of homosexuality and abortion, my mother and I are polar opposites, politically. My dad won't discuss politics with me. So, I don't know whether he's conservative or liberal. I'm way more politically conservative than anyone (with two exceptions: Nana, died when I was fifteen, and my cousin, Danny) has ever been in my family.

Newman

My dad was a libertarian-leaning conservative, but not too interested in politics. When I started getting (very) interested in politics and libertarianism and would talk about it with him, he seemed very sympathetic and he started getting more and more interested in politics. A while ago, I actually got a text message from him saying, "I think I'm a libertarian." My heart warmed. I don't think my mom is interested at all in politics, although she does have some pretty strong opinions on a few issues, being against animal cruelty and hunting especially.

When I was forming my own political ideas, I didn't ask myself, "What would my parents think?" but, "What makes sense?", and libertarianism with a side of Austrian economics fell on my plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.