toldailytopic: Gender neutral bathrooms: would you use one? What do you think of the

Status
Not open for further replies.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Safety issue] “Depends on their age but that goes for gender neutral or otherwise.”

Don’t you think more perverts would be inclined to use gender neutral bathrooms? We’re not talking about family bathrooms (toilets as the Brits like to say). I bet the pervs would use these as meeting places.

lucy

Hell. No.

And that seems to be exactly the point no one wants to discuss here, which strikes me as very odd.

I totally agree with you.. It is an invitation to pedophiles to harm your kid. There are already incidences in men's bathrooms where young boys have been molested. I would NEVER let my kid go into a bathroom alone, be it the men's or women's bathroom, but many people do this all the time. I think it will just increase the ease by which those who target children can gain access to them.

This past week, the police in my city arrested a guy for sneaking into the women's dressing rooms in the mall and video taping them changing their clothes with his cell phone. He put the phone in his shoe and slipped it under the door. If a sicko can think of doing that in the women's dressing room, for sure he will think of doing the same in a public bathroom. Would your kid know what was happening if someone did that? Would your kid think to tell you? Would you want your kid's image all over the internet? Think about it.... just one reason why you should NEVER let your kid go to a public restroom by themselves, regardless if the restroom is unisex or not.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
The ancient Romans had them, and since our political and jurisprudence system is largely borrowed from theirs, why not?

Are you into all things Roman? Let's copy their vomitoriums too :vomit:

“In The Dirt on Clean, Katherine Ashenburg looks at dirt in Western civilization. She describes the bathing (and nonbathing) practices of the Greeks and Romans, the unwashed Middle Ages and today's lavish bathrooms, which evoke Rome at its gaudiest.

Dispelling one obvious question among clean freaks, Ashenburg, a journalist and lecturer, declares, "There's no evidence that the birth rate ever fell because people were too smelly for copulation."

The ancient Egyptians were fastidious in cleansing, anointing and perfuming themselves. The Greeks and Romans cleaned their bodies with a curved metal scraper called a strigil, then anointed themselves with olive oil.

Most ancient religions included ritual washing, but for reasons now buried with them, early Christians did not preach cleanliness. By the fifth century, being unwashed "became a uniquely Christian badge of holiness." Hermits and saints believed that only baptism was acceptable cleansing. St. Francis of Assisi "revered dirt and was said to have appeared after his death to compliment friars on their grubby cells." In the Middle Ages, dirt caked on the skin was believed to protect against the plague.

It wasn't until the 18th century that John Wesley, founder of Methodism, first preached that "cleanliness is next to Godliness." By the late 19th century, cleanliness began to take hold, and public baths appeared again in Western Europe and England. In the United States, Procter & Gamble developed a white soap. Sales manager Harley Procter found the perfect name in Psalm 45: "All thy garments smell like myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces... ." When the Ivory soap machine was left on too long, the lather hardened into cakes that floated.

And so were born the modern advertising age and the age of cleanliness, linked inseparably."

The Dirt on Clean: An Unsanitized History

Source Citation:Wagman, Jules. "HOW HUMANS CLEANED UP THEIR ACT." The St. Petersburg Times (St. Petersburg, FL). (Nov 18, 2007).

Just for fun...

Is cleanliness next to godliness? Is being clean a part of being godly?
URL: http://www.gotquestions.org/cleanliness-next-godliness.html

Last edited:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Do you have anything other than baseless insults to add to this thread, SD?
It’s just the whole dress thing and then you said “some of you guys have horrible aim…” It’s all so terribly confusing. Please forgive me. I’m having a hard time keeping up with the trends. :shocked:

Arthur Brain

How dim are you? Is it an act? You're the one who made the remark of your own volition. You don't get to speak on behalf of others or to even presume as much. I think you're a petty obnoxious troll. People may or may not agree but it is "my" opinion, not "ours".

Get a grip.

Arthur Brain

It’s just the whole dress thing and then you said “some of you guys have horrible aim…” It’s all so terribly confusing. Please forgive me. I’m having a hard time keeping up with the trends. :shocked:

Some guys do have horrible aim. I've been in many a gents loo where people seem to project at the floor rather than the urinal....

Confusion seems to be a particular "forte" of yours. :plain:

GeneCosta

The stereotype that male bathrooms are dirtier, I think, is somewhat a myth (I'll explain below). While men have less quality in their aim due to physical constraints, I've had to clean up girls' bathrooms before and I ran into unflushed sanitary napkins.

Returning to the myth of dirtiness, we were told to clean the female bathrooms more often because of that very same expectation. I wonder how many other companies mandate similar practices. (I wasn't a janitor. It was just a side duty that came with being a cashier.)

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
Gender neutral bathrooms with multiple stalls? :vomit:

Gender neutral single bathrooms? :idunno: They don't bother me.

KingLouie

My definition of a gender-neutral rest room is an open room with multiple stalls that are used simultaneously by both sexes.

The main issue of course is "modesty", which seems to be dependent on culture. Given the sexualization of our American culture, I belive that the concept of gender-neutral rest rooms is inappropriate.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Don’t you think more perverts would be inclined to use gender neutral bathrooms? We’re not talking about family bathrooms (toilets as the Brits like to say). I bet the pervs would use these as meeting places.

Generally, I think you're an idiot. And a post like this pretty much proves my point.

If perverts want to troll, they will, no matter what a sign says.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
My definition of a gender-neutral rest room is an open room with multiple stalls that are used simultaneously by both sexes.

The main issue of course is "modesty", which seems to be dependent on culture. Given the sexualization of our American culture, I belive that the concept of gender-neutral rest rooms is inappropriate.

:think: Actually.....I would think that would defeat a main purpose of "gender neutral" bathrooms. The reason womens rooms are so overcrowded is because they have to have "stalls" which take up more room...therefore; less toilets.
Men can use urinals in most cases which take up way less room and can line the walls.

Real Sorceror

If its just one person at a time, sure, go ahead. But I wouldn't use a multi-person unisex unless I had to. I'd just feel awkward. I already don't like being in the same restroom with other men, why would I want ladies in there, too?

As for "exposing the kids", thats a nonissue. Every parent with a child of the opposite gender is going to one day have to make a decision - either take them into the restroom with you, or wait outside and hope everything goes ok (Did they get kidnapped? Did they wipe?). Personally, if I had a daughter, shes going into the men's room with me until I feel shes old enough to handle things in her own.

Egbert

toldailytopic: Gender neutral bathrooms: would you use one? What do you think of the movement to make gender neutral public bathrooms?

Only if the "ladies first" policy is disregarded.

While I'm not generally a fan of established gender roles and separations, I think our culture is just not well suited to unisex bathrooms. Males and females appreciate having a place to go where they are hidden from those of the opposite sex. In unisex bathrooms, the guys would have little patience for women applying makeup, and many women would feel quite awkward standing near men using open-sided urinals. I personally prefer to keep them as they are, though it wouldn't hurt to be a little less rigid about the distinction when there are crowds and small children.

Status
Not open for further replies.