toldailytopic: Evangelism. What style of evangelism did you respond to when you becam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My Sunday school teacher told me the truth

As it should be.

and having faith, I believed.

Impossible. Faith comes from God upon believing.

I grew up in the religion of Christianity, then read the Bible myself and learned the gospel. And as stated before, it was watching the TV version of Bob Enyart Live in Denver that made me want to read it. Because he always had the answer.

vnctblzn

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 20th, 2010 10:27 AM

toldailytopic: Evangelism. What style of evangelism did you respond to when you became a Christian? What style do you think is the most effective now?
i was converted to christian doctrine by the text of the bible. however, relational evangelism has failed to convert me to a belief in any modern day church.

zippy2006

Lewis' works, especially The Abolition of Man to knock my atheism loose. Getting my hands on some Augustine, Aquinas, Lewis, and Ratzinger gave me a large appreciation for some brilliant Christian minds in general, opening the door to intellectual Christianity. Then listening/reading about apologetics took me a step closer, and finally realizing this great wisdom through Buddhism of all things (or to be more precise, the failure of Buddhism):

First, show them why they need a Savior.

Which is exactly what I consider to be a very important piece of evangelism today. So many just don't think they need a Savior. This concession changes the entire landscape.

sdgareth

Only been a christian for 10 months
Not sure if the below constitutes Evangelism, but I do enjoy

John Eldridge (wild at heart & walking with God)
Joyce Myers
John Bevere (Bait of Satan)

Currently reading - Experiencing God by blackberry

bybee

Belief

Belief

Only been a christian for 10 months
Not sure if the below constitutes Evangelism, but I do enjoy

John Eldridge (wild at heart & walking with God)
Joyce Myers
John Bevere (Bait of Satan)

Currently reading - Experiencing God by blackberry

One Easter Sunday in church the minister said "He is risen!" and we responded "He is risen indeed!". And it was as if the gates of heaven opened before my eyes. I felt the presence of Christ. I have always believed in God. But this moment changed me. peace, bybee

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Evangelism. What style of evangelism did you respond to when you became a Christian? What style do you think is the most effective now?

Evangelism, I suppose there are as many definitions as there are evangelists.

What style did I respond to when I became a Christian?

I was raised in the church, but realized God doesn't have grandchildren. But it was under a soft spoken evangelist who was to the point, not loud or boisterous; his closing remark was, "If not now, why? If not now, when?" And it was right, the time was right.​

What style do I think is the most effective now?

A very honest and direct approach filled with truth and proof, not brow beating or guilt tripping, since it is the Holy Spirit that shines and shows the light of truth to the lost. A style that has Jesus at the center, the concerns for the lost, and a love for others that shows it.​

Last edited:

Aimiel

1 Corinthians 2:2
For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

The Gospel, in a verse. Christ, crucifed; was preached to me, in a Missionary Baptist Church, when I was twelve, and I got miraculously saved by The Lord.

The same Christ who was crucified is risen, and is preached today. :thumb:

BabyChristian

I never believed anything I was told, well other than when I was a young child.

It took me hitting rock bottom to become humble enough to let go of my egotistical agnosticism and much reading.

CS Lewis had the most to do with my throwing in the towel. :cool:

His approach made the most sense to me, though it took 49 years to get me here.

john w

Hall of Fame
1 Cor. 15:1-4-I had never heard this while I was a Roman.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek." Romans 1:16
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"….preach the gospel…" Romans 1:15, 10:15, 15:20; 1 Cor. 1:17,9:14, 9:18; 2 Cor. 10:16
"…preach the gospel of Christ…." Romans 15:19
"…the gospel which I preached to you…." 1 Cor. 15:1
'"…preach Christ's gospel…." 2 Cor. 2:12
"…preaching the gospel of Christ…." 2 Cor. 10:14
"…preach any other gospel…." Gal. 1:8,9
"…preached the gospel…" Gal. 4:13
"…the gospel ….which was preached…." Col. 1:23

Going to church/church membership or being "religious" will not save anyone. If you are trusting that you can do anything to merit, earn, buy, or help with your salvation, then you are trusting in a "gospel" that is powerless to save you. The good news today that we are to proclaim is that the Lord Jesus Christ came in the world to "...save sinners…."(1 Tim. 1:15), to die for and justify "…the ungodly…."(Romans 5:6,4:5-notice it says you are a sinner/ungodly when you are saved-this precludes any "self-effort" attempt on "improving" your condition prior to salvation). He paid for all your sins in full 2000 years ago by his death, burial, and resurrection(1 Cor. 15:1-4). Only in the gospel of Christ is there "…the power of God unto salvation." The apostle Paul uses the word "preach" continually. At the time of Paul's writing, a person who proclaimed /published in this sense was referred to as a "herald". A herald was one sent by his "boss" to proclaim the boss's message publicly. The herald was charged with delivering this message unaltered because it was not his own. He was charged with the responsibility to proclaim it accurately. This was the "earmark" of Paul's gospel ministry. And I follow Paul, as the Lord Jesus Christ commanded, for following Paul , is following the Lord Jesus Christ in this dispensation of the grace of God.

Aimiel

I believe one of the best preachers today, who evangelizes in every sermon, is Dr. Tony Evans.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I never believed anything I was told, well other than when I was a young child.

It took me hitting rock bottom to become humble enough to let go of my egotistical agnosticism and much reading.

CS Lewis had the most to do with my throwing in the towel. :cool:

His approach made the most sense to me, though it took 49 years to get me here.
I never believed in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. I immediately believed in God when I was told.:idunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.