toldailytopic: Ethnic Food. Which countries cuisine reigns supreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alate_One

Thai or Indian, the spicy is the wonderful. Curse small town food selection! I really need to learn how to make curry . . . . .

Japanese, I LOVE sushi! Too bad the Blue Fin tuna is almost extinct. :( Salmon is just not as good.

Middle eastern food, it must be the healthiest cuisine there is.

Greek food can be quite good. Some of the best I've had was in Toronto.

Malaysian was wonderful, alas the restaurant closed. Ethiopian was interesting. I wouldn't mind having it again but I think I know of perhaps one Ethiopian restaurant within a 4 hour driving distance of my home.

Mexican is good of course and readily available, so is Italian. I almost don't consider them "ethnic" foods being so common unless they are actually run by people from the appropriate countries. Fortunately our local Mexican restaurant is very authentic.

Hmm I guess it's easier to say what ethnic foods I don't like. Which is hmm . . . . . . hmmm . . . . oh there was a place we went to back in Michigan that was supposedly Eastern European, which frankly I hated. Which is odd since that's a good portion of my ancestry. :p

And now I'm hungry again . . . .arggh!

Also I think this would have been more fun as a poll. :)

nicholsmom

I'm going outside of the box. Southern cuisine is the most varied, delectable and satisfying food on the planet. From unbelievable seafood dishes of the Gulf Coast, to fried chicken, greens and mashed potatoes of the interior, to Texas beef with its chili and barbecue, the South is the true culinary gem of the Americas. And I haven't even gotten to our Sweet Potato or Key Lime pies, just to begin the dessert menu...:TomO: :chew:

You'll get no argument from me on that score :) I love the Southern cooking.

Is fried chicken really Southern? My Grandpa, from Kentucky, had to teach my Grandma how to cook - he taught her how to make everything from fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy to corn bread and bean soup. We call it country food around here. It was my sweet potato pie that changed my husband's opinion of the sweet potato, btw ;) Seafood, now that's another story - fresh water fish only in these parts, so I had to move to Virginia to get some decent seafood :eek:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pork green chili is my vice.

Did you know east of the Mississippi, many people don't even know what green chili is, or the dish chili? Growing up in the midwest, a large preponderance of the people think chili is stewed tomatoes and kidney beans.

Japanese, I LOVE sushi! Too bad the Blue Fin tuna is almost extinct. :( Salmon is just not as good.

What is the difference between blue and a yellow fin? There is no shortage of yellowfin.

Also, for those that pick Italy, is that southern or northern? Ethnic and cultural differences just like the US exist. The northern is much better than southern. But I didn't know that until I ate something other than Fazoli's. If you think Macaroni Grill, that is like northern.

Alate_One

What is the difference between blue and a yellow fin? There is no shortage of yellowfin.
Different species/populations of fish. there are LOTS of tuna species. Some are in trouble, others are not.

A quote from the article linked below.

Bluefin, which have been fished to the brink of extinction in some areas, are the largest tuna. They produce the most succulent sashimi-grade flesh, which is eaten raw either as sushi (together with a dollop of rice) or on its own, as sashimi.

Here's a news article on southern bluefin tuna

Atlantic blue fin is quickly declining in population as well. The scientists keep recommending a fishing ban to allow populations to recover and the fishermen keep avoiding a ban.

gsweet

Also, for those that pick Italy, is that southern or northern? Ethnic and cultural differences just like the US exist. The northern is much better than southern. But I didn't know that until I ate something other than Fazoli's. If you think Macaroni Grill, that is like northern.

You, my good sir, need to have real northern Italian. Macaroni Grill is not... If you are in the greater Boston area ever, let me know and I will steer your towards (or join you in) a true northern Italian meal. I have a few favorites in the area that will bring new meaning to the concept of food! (At least they have for me) :D

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Different species/populations of fish. there are LOTS of tuna species. Some are in trouble, others are not.

A quote from the article linked below.

Bluefin, which have been fished to the brink of extinction in some areas, are the largest tuna. They produce the most succulent sashimi-grade flesh, which is eaten raw either as sushi (together with a dollop of rice) or on its own, as sashimi.

Here's a news article on southern bluefin tuna

Atlantic blue fin is quickly declining in population as well. The scientists keep recommending a fishing ban to allow populations to recover and the fishermen keep avoiding a ban.

Succulent? Considering I have eaten tuna, I don't know if that is the word I would use. But to be fair, I grill it. Sashimi is not for me. Watch locals pluck out....er, nevermind. Have you eaten yellow fin?

You, my good sir, need to have real northern Italian.

I have. Been there, eaten that.

Macaroni Grill is not... If you are in the greater Boston area ever

Oh come on, I used it as an analogy. Boston is not Fasano. And the Grill is pretty close. And if you ever go by Brescia, let me know. I appreciate the offer though.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I'm going outside of the box. Southern cuisine is the most varied, delectable and satisfying food on the planet. From unbelievable seafood dishes of the Gulf Coast, to fried chicken, greens and mashed potatoes of the interior, to Texas beef with its chili and barbecue, the South is the true culinary gem of the Americas. And I haven't even gotten to our Sweet Potato or Key Lime pies, just to begin the dessert menu...:TomO: :chew:

:up:

Yes, an it is ethnic
Love down home cooking:cloud9:

I also like French food when it is the full course with sauces. The best Japanese food, sushi is good. I like Italian and California Mexican food.

I am not much for meat and potatoes, but I do like corned beef and cabbage sometimes.

Last, but not least I like biscuits and ok, if you insist, I would will clarify I am talking about what most consider English cakes biscuits and pastry.

One Eyed Jack

Germany has some really great food. Shoot, their beer is almost a food group by itself.

When you get right down to it, beer is basically just liquid bread. Real beer, anyway. I don't know what you'd call that stuff we have over here.

As far as ethnic cuisine goes, I like a little bit of everything. I draw the line at eating mollusks, though.

bybee

Ole!

Ole!

Mexican is the best

I love Mexican food too! I just returned from San Antonio visiting my son and family. His mother-in-law cooks authentic Mexican food from the heart! Now I have another five pounds to work off! peace, bybee

bybee

Now you've done it!

Now you've done it!

Every post I read makes me drool all over again. Goulash! Yummy! I draw the line at raw meat or fish and "Escargot"? A rubbery thick worm cooked in garlic butter? I'm feeling faint already! Then, of course, there is liver, makes me shiver to think of it. My dad once made me eat liver (it was considered very healthful in those days). I forced it down through tears and desperation. But it was not to be. I puked it up all over his plate! My mother read him the riot act and the subject was never mentioned again. bybee

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Been lots of places and stuffed myself on the local cuisine. Usually good, even if one is not quite sure what it is. :rotfl: Oriental (lots of varieties there), Indian (east or west is fine), European (I can pig out just about anywhere). Guess my fav would be whatever hits the table wherever I happen to be.

God has truly blessed me with a good appetite and an iron stomach. :chuckle:

Alate_One

Succulent? Considering I have eaten tuna, I don't know if that is the word I would use. But to be fair, I grill it. Sashimi is not for me. Watch locals pluck out....er, nevermind. Have you eaten yellow fin?
Sashimi grade bluefin is simply delectable. The consistency and flavor are completely unlike what you'd think of as raw fish, being neither fishy nor slimy but springy and delightfully flavored. I don't think there is a better sort of fish in sashimi. I think if you gave me a good sized block of Sashimi grade tuna I could just eat the block. :p

Alas . . . . I have to drive at least an hour to get any sushi at all. One of my favorite dishes was Hwe dup bap a Korean dish with sashimi.

I think I recall having yellowfin and it wasn't too different from bluefin, though missing some of the wonderfulness. But its a little confusing since restaurants are not always clear about which sort of tuna you're dealing with. I will keep an eye out the next time I can get to a sushi restaurant. :/

Grilling it? Is only marginally better than albacore out of a can (though I get really good albacore from cans).

Four O'Clock

Then, of course, there is liver, makes me shiver to think of it.

Bybee! No breaded chicken livers with cocktail sauce?
Or Thomas Jefferson's favorite, Spagetti w/ chicken livers and Italian tomato/basil (God's greatest union!) sauce?

I love Italian (a recent poll showed Lasagna to be the favorite dish of Americans)
Mexican (my wife is originally from Mexico City so we have receipes galore at home)
Chinese
Greek (Mousakka...umm, chuck full of my beloved eggplant)
Indian (many don't like it but I'm not one of those; many more Indian resturants are cropping up now)
French (only one/two resturants here in Indy)
Thai (sort of a cross between Indian/Chinese IMHO) Note: don't order anything above a #5 in ''spicy''.
German (Sourbraten, Schnitzel, etc...)
Not much I don't love.
My fav homecookin' would be a nice pot roast with the browned carrots/potatoes....
Note: I finished lunch before I posted this, I didn't want to run downtown and hit one of the above resturants...:D

bybee

Doggone

Doggone

Bybee! No breaded chicken livers with cocktail sauce?
Or Thomas Jefferson's favorite, Spagetti w/ chicken livers and Italian tomato/basil (God's greatest union!) sauce?

I love Italian (a recent poll showed Lasagna to be the favorite dish of Americans)
Mexican (my wife is originally from Mexico City so we have receipes galore at home)
Chinese
Greek (Mousakka...umm, chuck full of my beloved eggplant)
Indian (many don't like it but I'm not one of those; many more Indian resturants are cropping up now)
French (only one/two resturants here in Indy)
Thai (sort of a cross between Indian/Chinese IMHO) Note: don't order anything above a #5 in ''spicy''.
German (Sourbraten, Schnitzel, etc...)
Not much I don't love.
My fav homecookin' would be a nice pot roast with the browned carrots/potatoes....
Note: I finished lunch before I posted this, I didn't want to run downtown and hit one of the above resturants...:D

Just call me "Pavlov's canine"! I'll have to get the mop out! I love this thread! peace, bybee

Status
Not open for further replies.