toldailytopic: Does religion cause division in your family or your extended family?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 7th, 2013 06:00 AM

toldailytopic: Does religion cause division in your family or your extended family?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Pharos

Not so far. Most of them are believers, to some extent. Specific beliefs, however, may cause division if they were ever discussed; but the ones who would most likely be angered over some of my convictions live in another state.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

There are only two things that cause division in my family, when it comes to discussion: religion and politics. So, we tend not to discuss those two topics.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It depends on which family I discuss those issues with. With a few, it can get rather heated.

LKmommy

The lack of religion, amongst things, has caused a division and break of contact on MY extended side, even on the "big holidays" like Easter and Christmas. Sad.

We will *temporarily* come together at our grandmothers funeral one day, but I have little hope or desire to keep contact. Some words and actions can not always be magically erased or continually overlooked.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

[/QUOTE]

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Not really. In my family there's a healthy respect for our own minds and business. We argue points, but it's rarely heated. More humorous and acerbic...I really miss those Sunday table conversations growing up. On religion mother was gently ardent, my father amused and indifferent beyond tradition, my brother skeptical but respectful and, well, me...poor mom. But in the end she had the last laugh on all of us.

bybee

Nope, not at all. I'm very lucky--we're all pretty much on the same page.

We're all over the place but to argue religion? Poor form. Just drives people away or underground or into incivility which we wish to avoid.
Besides, there are so many other topics which are fair game!
My sister hates foreigners. I like to remind her that we were all foreigners once. She has a fairly rounded eschatological vocabulary!:argue: Then there is the filth on TV. I think 3/4's of it not fit to watch. The younger members of the family think differently.
And so on....

Buzzword

Not in general, but it has come close to division between my wife and my parents on a couple of occasions.

My wife is the child of two cops, so when she was growing up Sunday was entirely a rest day (especially when one or both parents had been out on patrol until 7 AM the previous night).
She didn't start attending church until she was a teen, so her exposure to memorizing billions of Bible verses has been minimal.

We thought my parents understood this, until during a visit my mom proposed a rousing game of Bible Trivia.
My wife reminded the room that she'd probably lose horribly (my mom waived it off), and proceeded to do just that.

Again, we thought it was understood that my wife was NOT raised in church.

Afterward, my mom approached me privately and said something to the effect of "You need to get that girl reading her Bible!"

The "that girl" thing infuriated me to no end, not only because we were ALREADY MARRIED, but because my wife and my mom have sooo much in common (including favorite color and choice of profession).

We've also had issues with my dad taking every free moment to start preaching (usually a rant of some kind), to the point that unless we actually have a dog in the fight, it becomes a background drone until we can change the subject.

Because our two families rarely if ever interact, there hasn't been much conflict, though her ex-navy-gunner dad has to tone it down around my church-people-for-the-past-ten-generations parents.

Dena

A little bit. My dad and my brother became religious Christians in the last couple years and now of course they think their way is the only way in life and can be a bit obnoxious about it. They don't bug me much, as I guess they figure it won't work. They were bugging my niece about it but she told them off and they have since left her alone. She says my brother talks about me behind my back but that would probably be the case no matter what I did or didn't do.

My husband and I have differences with him being a non-religious atheist but he's very considerate and I'm quite liberal so it doesn't cause much of an issue. Of course, we don't have children either. It may be more of a problem at that time but being Jewish is so cultural that I think he finds it easy to tolerate.

That's about it.

The Berean

My family is mostly nominally Catholic. I became born-again in 1998 at age 30. They noticed some changes in me but they never bothered me with it except one time. For a long time I had a stained relationship with my dad. It seems he would only call me was when he needed money. One time I said no and he went off on some crazy rant about how he heard from the family that I was giving 50% of my income to my church! I have no idea where he got that from. I was annoyed by this and I challenged him to tell me who told him that. I said the next time the entire family is together I will address this lie in front of everybody. I wanted to know if anyone had indeed told my dad that I gave 50% of my income to my church (I do tithe 10%). I suspect he either confused 50% with 10% or he just made it up to try to get me to give him money. Anyway he backed down when I told him he heard wrong.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
When I became an open theist and Mid-Acts Dispie we had some arguments, but actually I converted them for the most part. :) We all have been grace believers all along though, which I consider the most important doctrine. (Talking about my parents' immediate family)

john w

Hall of Fame
Yes. My "biological" family are all Romans. They view me as being in a "cult."

kmoney

Hall of Fame

For the most part no.

If I was more honest about where I'm at there probably would be more. My parents are pretty fundamentalist/Charismatic and I'm not so much anymore. When certain topics are brought up I tend to stay pretty quiet. :eek: Occasionally we'll get into something but it never gets very heated or awkward or tense. And any potential tension would be within Christianity. All my family, immediate and extended, is Christian so there aren't any divisions for other religions or atheism, etc.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Not really. In my family there's a healthy respect for our own minds and business. We argue points, but it's rarely heated. More humorous and acerbic...I really miss those Sunday table conversations growing up. On religion mother was gently ardent, my father amused and indifferent beyond tradition, my brother skeptical but respectful and, well, me...poor mom. But in the end she had the last laugh on all of us.

I can just picture you and Jack sitting at breakfast, debating apologetics. I bet it's already happening. Has he read CS Lewis yet? :eek:

:chuckle: