toldailytopic: Do you think there is a suggested cut off line over how many children

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
One. Anything more increases the total population. We need it to decrease and if it doesn't because of intelligent behavior then natural law will decrease it through disease, war, pollution, hunger and other mechanisms. That may take a few decades but in many places it has already begun.

This is illogical. If 'intelligent' people realised that having fewer children would be beneficial for the world, the result would be a smaller percentage of intelligent people in the population, which would in turn lead to a larger increase in population. The most intelligent people will want to have more children, not fewer, because they are more likely to benefit the population as a whole, for whatever reason, especially if they are Christians.

Granite

Hall of Fame
As far as I'm concerned most people shouldn't have one...

That said, barring some kind of catastrophic turn of events, I'd oppose the state dictating how many we can and cannot have. You should have as many children as you can reasonably love and support.

There's something deeply unsettling and grotesque about people having as many as they can just for the sake of it.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One. Anything more increases the total population. We need it to decrease and if it doesn't because of intelligent behavior then natural law will decrease it through disease, war, pollution, hunger and other mechanisms. That may take a few decades but in many places it has already begun.

If you are so concerned about population, we could line up all the rapists, murderers and perverts and execute them.

As to a cutoff on the number of kids, I don't think there should be any. A child is a gift from God.

Alate_One

What plan do you propose for reducing the population?

Educate women, make contraception more available, improve healthcare and living conditions. Women that are educated tend to have less children. Poverty and poor living conditions tend to increase birth rate, partly because you feel the need to have more kids to make sure a few survive.

Many women especially in the third world don't want to have 10 kids. I'm not an advocate of directly limiting how many kids anyone should have. We know enough about demographics to know what conditions make people want to have smaller families and they're almost all good things in and of themselves.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My Grandfather was a sibling of 14. Plus the parents raised two orphaned kids.
16 children in one household!

My Grandmother was a sibling of 11.

Our family reunions are a major event!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Humans cannot populate indefinitely on a finite earth.

As long as the average children per woman is less than 2.1, we're at replacement value. An individual could have more or less children, the only thing that really matters is what the overall population is doing. The odd person could have 10 or 20 kids without issue so long as it is balanced. Reducing population is probably a better plan given our current rate of resource consumption.

Tipping Point
Translation::blabla:

If you are so concerned about population, we could line up all the rapists, murderers and perverts and execute them.

As to a cutoff on the number of kids, I don't think there should be any. A child is a gift from God.
Amen and amen!

HisServant

As long as you can support them, have as many as you want... but the moment you require public assistance you should be stopped from having more children till you can get back on your feet to support your own brood.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
This is illogical. If 'intelligent' people realised that having fewer children would be beneficial for the world, the result would be a smaller percentage of intelligent people in the population, which would in turn lead to a larger increase in population. The most intelligent people will want to have more children, not fewer, because they are more likely to benefit the population as a whole, for whatever reason, especially if they are Christians.

Do you think that excellence is hereditary? :AMR:

Quincy

You shouldn't have more than you can afford to raise. If I have to pay for them, you have too many.

This x 1000

There shouldn't be a limit on it but people should keep it within their means. If you can only afford none, then keep your pants on. This would help the population decrease as well. I don't know how many kids I see without jobs thinking they can have a child and put it on their parents, grandparents or welfare to take care of them. Then the parents think it's ok and let the child go about creating another. People.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
There shouldn't be a limit on it but people should keep it within their means.

I don't know how many kids I see without jobs thinking they can have a child and put it on their parents, grandparents or welfare to take care of them.

Then the parents think it's ok and let the child go about creating another. People.

God will provide Quincy.

Alate_One

About what?
Education beyond 8th grade is correlated with lower birth rates.

The use of contraceptives is a grave sin. You might have fewer children, but you'll have a substantially higher chance of going to Hell.
Riight. Because your church took this ridiculous position? I don't think so. In general I like Catholics, but on this issue you've accepted traditions of men over any biblical ideas on the subject.

I think it's crazy to think God wants the earth to become so filled with people that they do not have the resources to sustain themselves at a decent standard of living. If God wanted us to reproduce infinitely He would have given us an infinite planet or a series of nearby planets that could sustain us indefinitely.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Riight. Because your church took this ridiculous position? I don't think so. In general I like Catholics, but on this issue you've accepted traditions of men over any biblical ideas on the subject.

Right. So, specifically point me to the Bible verse which says that God doesn't mind contraceptives?

I think it's crazy to think God wants the earth to become so filled with people that they do not have the resources to sustain themselves at a decent standard of living. If God wanted us to reproduce infinitely He would have given us an infinite planet or a series of nearby planets that could sustain us indefinitely.

Perhaps God wants us to exercise ourselves in self-control and chastity?

Alate_One

Right. So, specifically point me to the Bible verse which says that God doesn't mind contraceptives?
Right after you specifically point me to the verse that says God doesn't mind, computers, cars, medical care, firearms, nuclear weapons/power, genetic modification etc.

Perhaps God wants us to exercise ourselves in self-control and chastity?
Within the bonds of marriage?

PureX

toldailytopic: Do you think there is a suggested cut off line over how many children a couple can have? If so, how many is too many?
I would suggest that we stop at two. That way the human population would slowly decrease as some of us will have one or none. I would like to see far fewer humans on the Earth than are here, now.

Granite

Hall of Fame
About what?

The use of contraceptives is a grave sin. You might have fewer children, but you'll have a substantially higher chance of going to Hell.

A Catholic lecturing people about healthy sex. That's so original.:rolleyes: