toldailytopic: Do you think there is a suggested cut off line over how many children

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Right after you specifically point me to the verse that says God doesn't mind, computers, cars, medical care, firearms, nuclear weapons/power, genetic modification etc.

You wrote, and I quote, "I don't think so. In general I like Catholics, but on this issue you've accepted traditions of men over any biblical ideas on the subject."

This tells me that you think that there are, in fact, "biblical ideas on the subject." This tells me, furthermore, that you think that these biblical ideas run counter to the Catholic Church's doctrines.

Well great. Produce some verse that contradicts the Church's doctrines.

Within the bonds of marriage?

Chastity and celibacy aren't the same thing. We're all called to chastity, no matter what our station in life. The use of contraceptives is not in line with the virtue of chastity.

Alate_One

You wrote, and I quote, "I don't think so. In general I like Catholics, but on this issue you've accepted traditions of men over any biblical ideas on the subject."

This tells me that you think that there are, in fact, "biblical ideas on the subject." This tells me, furthermore, that you think that these biblical ideas run counter to the Catholic Church's doctrines.
If there's no biblical prohibition against something and you assert it's something that will "cast you into hell" you're turning a tradition of men into doctrine and very serious doctrine at that.

Well great. Produce some verse that contradicts the Church's doctrines.
Produce a verse that equates contraception with hellfire. Protestants in the in the reformed tradition support their doctrines with scripture.

Chastity and celibacy aren't the same thing. We're all called to chastity, no matter what our station in life. The use of contraceptives is not in line with the virtue of chastity.
Because your church says so. This is a gnostic idea the Catholics picked up and incorporated, that sexual acts between even a married man and woman are inherently evil unless the possibility of procreation exists. This is because the physical world is seen as inherently evil. That's the root of your entire issue with contraception.

It has no biblical basis since in scripture we do not find the physical world and sex being portrayed as inherently evil. Sex can be evil when done in ways or at times against God's command, but in and of itself it is a good thing, being part of the original creation.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 12th, 2012 02:18 PM

toldailytopic: Do you think there is a suggested cut off line over how many children a couple can have? If so, how many is too many?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The Bible says that children are gift from God. The more the better according to God.

Alate_One

The Bible says that children are gift from God. The more the better according to God.

Not always.

For behold, the days are coming when they will say, ‘Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bore, and the breasts that never nursed.’

Luke 23:29