toldailytopic: Do you think there are too many reality shows and are you getting tire

Buzzword

It's interesting how the "genre" has evolved from an originally-strict set of parameters.

The Real World and Survivor were considered paradigms of this new type of programming, but nowadays so many shows use elements of the storytelling style those shows pioneered that it's hard to differentiate between "reality TV" and "documentary."

Some examples:

Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs
Snapping Turtle

Guy Fierre's Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives
Triple D

The Ultimate Fighter (which has evolved over the years to shed many of the "reality TV" elements)
TUF Season 1 opening

In effect, this adaptation of storytelling style has made "true" reality TV (Big Brother, Jersey Shore, etc.) seem inane, asinine, or flat-out destructive, with "casts" forced to pull more and more disturbing shenanigans to garner more shock value and keep the programs in the public discourse.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Most human beings are really pretty interesting, so I like the idea of putting "real people" on TV. Unfortunately, TV entertainment is almost exclusively produced by greedy idiots with no interest in doing anything other than shoving as many advertisements in front of our eyes as possible with the least concern for the actual value or effect of their "entertainment", so that they ruin pretty much everything they touch.

I used to watch American Idol because I was genuinely thrilled to see some kid who would not otherwise have a chance stand up in front of millions of people and sing their hearts out. But even that has become too controlled, and has 15 commercials for every 5 minutes of show.
Yes it does! DVR?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 19th, 2012 09:12 AM

toldailytopic: Do you think there are too many reality shows and are you getting tired of them or do you think there are a lot, yet you still like them?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
I guess I don't care. I'm pretty sure there are a lot more shows on TV that I am not aware of than those I know about. I don't need to watch them all.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I think there should be a reality show based on TOL. They could film me as I scream... :sozo: "You are a MORON!!" into my computer monitor.

I think it would be a huge hit.

I think we should set up multiple cameras because I too often scream :sozo: "You are a MORON!!" into my computer monitor. I think it would add to the drama but, the part after you scream :sozo: "You are a MORON!!" would be the most interesting and compelling part when you say "Oh you are soooo Banned" :banned: People would wait on the edge of their seat to see that part and wish to themselves "Man! I wish I had a ban hammer". :chuckle:

I know I would...:D

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 19th, 2012 09:12 AM

toldailytopic: Do you think there are too many reality shows and are you getting tired of them or do you think there are a lot, yet you still like them?

Yes there are too many!! :shocked:

I have gotten into a couple. Last season I got into Syfy's show about movie makeup. Being Syfy, the themes were about creatures and aliens, etc. It was pretty fascinating.

I also watched Duck Dynasty last season. And I enjoy Storage Wars (the LA version). So I can get into them, but I do think there are too many and could easily do without most of them.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I like the talent shows occasionally because I like to see God-given talent that really stands out..

Same here. I watched American Idol a lot during the first several seasons. I enjoyed watching the great singing.

Some of the dancing on So You Think You Can Dance is good too.

You could put the SyFy makeup show I watched in this category too.

Has there ever been an art show? That could be fascinating too.

PureX

Yes it does! DVR?
I don't think it's worth the cost of buying one. I've had my old Roku box for years, and manage to find things on Netflix to watch that don't turn my stomach. So I just stick to that, and an occasional show on PBS or a movie from Amazon.

Aletheia

Yes, and yes. They annoy me to no end. I'm sick of losing quality scripted shows, too. And yet more of this tripe gets the green light?!:doh:

As for a TOL reality show I think some people might need to curb their language when yelling at their monitors. Sometimes I sit speechless because I'm trying not to cuss at someone's ignorance or wickedness.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Yes, and yes. They annoy me to no end. I'm sick of losing quality scripted shows, too. And yet more of this tripe gets the green light?!:doh:

As for a TOL reality show I think some people might need to curb their language when yelling at their monitors. Sometimes I sit speechless because I'm trying not to cuss at someone's ignorance or wickedness.
Agreed

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
I think there should be a reality show based on TOL. They could film me as I scream... :sozo: "You are a MORON!!" into my computer monitor.

I think it would be a huge hit.
:darwinsm: I can see syndicated reruns in your future.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
This post falls under the "Media bias/Reality Show" heading.

In this (biased) video, a left-wing reporter shows only part of what happened to Bristol Palin while in a LA bar.

Entitled "Bristol Palin chased out of an LA bar"

http://tv.yahoo.com/primetime/bristol-palin-breaks-down-over-confrontation-29725263.html

And now for the rest of the story.

WARNING! Typical filth coming out of the mouth of a homosexual.

By the way, the self admitted homosexual is suing Bristol Palin for calling him a homosexual.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/13/bristol-palin-sued-heckler_n_1594442.html

I don't watch reality shows, but I'll make an exception for this one.

(47 years old? That's like 1,000 dog years for a fag).

Dena

We'll watch Out of the Wild on Netflix but that's about it. We don't have cable and we don't watch any of the reality shows on the network stations.