toldailytopic: Do you think there are too many reality shows and are you getting tire

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 19th, 2012 09:12 AM

toldailytopic: Do you think there are too many reality shows and are you getting tired of them or do you think there are a lot, yet you still like them?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Silent Hunter

One reality show is too many!

Get rid of ALL of them!!

. . . all that is except Maury and Springer . . . :chuckle:

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
I watched the real world until 01 ish. Now the only reality tv I watch is Top Shot and The Walking Dead. All the others are just attention whores with no talent. Just my $0.02

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I watched the real world until 01 ish. Now the only reality tv I watch is Top Shot and The Walking Dead. All the others are just attention whores with no talent. Just my $0.02

The Walking Dead is REALITY TV?!?!

I knew it!!

I'm am so glad I purchased my Hornady ZOMBIE killer ammo!

DSC00935.JPG

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Outside of those reality shows that Chef Ramsey hosts, yes, there are too many. Get rid of em!

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
I like the talent shows occasionally because I like to see God-given talent that really stands out...especially when God is openly credited. I of course get disappointed when that talent is used in unGodly ways and will turn the show off.

I used to watch America’s Got Talent once in a while but when I found out they hired Howard Stern, I can’t stomach even a glance.

I enjoyed the Nik Wallenda tight-rope walk across Niagara Falls. They had a mic on him and you could hear him vocally praising Jesus as he did his job. The commentators were noticeably uncomfortable but couldn’t control the situation. That was reality.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 19th, 2012 09:12 AM

toldailytopic: Do you think there are too many reality shows and are you getting tired of them or do you think there are a lot, yet you still like them?

In reality shows there's the good, the bad and the ugly as in any genre. Unfortunately in this genre, the bad and the ugly for out weigh the good. Some shows can be interesting showing what mountaineering, salvage, logging, trucking or fishing for shrimp is like. I may not be interested in some of these shows, but they can be educational.

Part if the reason why this genre has proliferated is that they are cheaper to make than a standard TV series and the public today has a voyeuristic tendency. They want to peep into peoples' personal lives, which leads me to the bad and the ugly of reality TV.

Bad- Parking Wars, Storage Wars. People bickering and fighting over parking spaces and the contents of storage parks. How stupid can a show get?

Ugly - Hoarders. This is the very worst in salacious voyeurism it is pries in the lives of obviously dysfunctional people. The previews make me sick. The worst of the worst is Toddlers and Tiaras --Pedophilia any one?

There are dozens of other reality show out there like these. Here is a listing that I have gleaned, just Googling Reality TV. These are the worst ones out there. Littlest Groom, Married by America, Who's Your Daddy, Temptation Island, Harry Loves Lisa, The Bachelor, Kardashians, Kid Nation, 16 and Pregnant, Jon and Kate Plus 8, Flavor of Love, The Swan, The Real House Wives of Orange County, The Real House Wives of Atlanta, Celebrity Apprentice, Tiny and Toya, Miami Social, bridezillas, Real housewifes of New Jeresy, NYC Prep, Daisey of Love, New York needs a job, The Village (pervert reality show anyone?) I could go on, but this gives you a taste of just how many of the worthless shows that there are out there.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I like the talent shows occasionally because I like to see God-given talent that really stands out...especially when God is openly credited. I of course get disappointed when that talent is used in unGodly ways and will turn the show off.

I used to watch America’s Got Talent once in a while but when I found out they hired Howard Stern, I can’t stomach even a glance.

I enjoyed the Nik Wallenda tight-rope walk across Niagara Falls. They had a mic on him and you could hear him vocally praising Jesus as he did his job. The commentators were noticeably uncomfortable but couldn’t control the situation. That was reality.

:thumb: Examples of the good in reality TV.

PureX

Most human beings are really pretty interesting, so I like the idea of putting "real people" on TV. Unfortunately, TV entertainment is almost exclusively produced by greedy idiots with no interest in doing anything other than shoving as many advertisements in front of our eyes as possible with the least concern for the actual value or effect of their "entertainment", so that they ruin pretty much everything they touch.

I used to watch American Idol because I was genuinely thrilled to see some kid who would not otherwise have a chance stand up in front of millions of people and sing their hearts out. But even that has become too controlled, and has 15 commercials for every 5 minutes of show.

S

Strefanash

I have always detested them as catering to the worst voyeuristic instincts of people. how they can gladly watch others being humiliated is beyond me

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think there should be a reality show based on TOL. They could film me as I scream... :sozo: "You are a MORON!!" into my computer monitor.

I think it would be a huge hit.

OMEGA

Yes, I am getting a spare Tire by sitting around watching all these unreality shows.:chuckle:

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I think there should be a reality show based on TOL. They could film me as I scream... :sozo: "You are a MORON!!" into my computer monitor.

I'd watch :)

I hate the staged/scripted "reality" shows, which is 98% or so of them. Also hate anything with "wives" in the title.

I like the crab fishing one, and the whale wars one. ( I cheer for the Japanese mostly though - evil I know)

If it counts, I love "Bazarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern".

Alate_One

Only if you got someone like me (or several of us) screaming the same thing at the opposite parties. :p

Then you could do cutaways of multiple people screaming at their computer screens at once over completely different views of stupiditiy, it would be awesome. :D

In general I don't watch reality TV of any sort I've seen perhaps one episode of a handful of series all of which I thought were interesting enough for one episode but little more.

Most interesting one I saw recently was Full Metal Jousting. Best critique of reality shows, the south park whale wars episode. :)

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
I like the crab fishing one, and the whale wars one. ( I cheer for the Japanese mostly though - evil I know)

If it counts, I love "Bazarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern".
I cheer for the whalers AND I do like me some Tony Bourdain.

Cruciform

Do you think there are too many reality shows and are you getting tired of them or do you think there are a lot, yet you still like them?
There's nothing "real" about "reality shows." CLUE: They're entirely scripted. So watching them is a bit like watching Saturday afternoon wrestling, and pretending that it's all somehow "real" when you know good-and-well that it isn't. They're a mindless form of self-deception, and a gigantic waste of time. I watch none of them.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+