toldailytopic: Do you believe professional athletes are overpaid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 3rd, 2009 10:47 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I actually thought about not drinking beer because I know it helps to pay their salaries

really

I actually thought about it

Son of Jack

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 3rd, 2009 10:47 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Being the husband of a nurse and a former teacher myself, I'm inclined to say, without doubt. But, in our economic system, if your services are in demand, you are entitled to get whatever people are willing to pay for it. Additionally, many of these fellows put their bodies continually in harm's way.

antiknight

Your average school teacher makes about $40,000 per year.
Your average pro athlete makes over a million per year.

Nuff said.

elohiym

Nuff said.

How much income does the average school teacher generate by her performance?

Right. Now compare that to the value an athlete can bring to a sports franchise.

It's a business. Let them earn what someone is willing to pay them. That's fine with me. :thumb:

Son of Jack

How much income does the average school teacher generate by her performance?

Directly or indirectly??

It's not that difficult to argue that the teacher far out-generates the athlete...the fact is that the teacher has a much deeper and long-lasting direct impact than the athlete.

elohiym

Directly or indirectly??

It's not that difficult to argue that the teacher far out-generates the athlete...the fact is that the teacher has a much deeper and long-lasting direct impact than the athlete.

Apples and oranges, in my opinion. But... A pro athlete can generate millions of dollars per year, something a kindergarten teacher can't do. Not only that, but I can teach my own kids at home, making the kindergarten teacher arguably superfluous. I can't sack a quarterback or throw a touchdown pass in a pro-football game.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Apples and oranges, in my opinion. But... A pro athlete can generate millions of dollars per year,
Ironically, mostly off of teachers in need of diversion. :plain:
something a kindergarten teacher can't do.
Jonas Salk was a lousy free throw shooter. Little known fact. If he had been who knows what he might have amounted to.
Not only that, but I can teach my own kids at home, making the kindergarten teacher arguably superfluous.
I'd bet you can at that. I'd go further and say that until most people's kids reach HS they can get a demonstrable lead over the other kids...then lose nearly the whole shebang by missing out on the more specialized preparation in those last four years, if you look at the data.
I can't sack a quarterback or throw a touchdown pass in a pro-football game.
And as we all know, when people fumble snaps, somebody dies. :plain:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

Nuff said.
So if you had the athletic ability and some team owner offered you millions per year, you would turn down that money as a matter of principle?

Status
Not open for further replies.