toldailytopic: Did the Supreme Court make the right call over Obamacare?

Quincy

I don't think so. There is bound to be a better and more simple way to reform the healthcare industry not involving the word tax.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
It would be kinda ironic if Romney repeals in the USA the very same thing he passed in Massachusetts.

Yes and no. It might seem kinda funny at first but really it is reasonable to believe that a particular plan is good for a single state but not good for a national policy.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Yes and no. It might seem kinda funny at first but really it is reasonable to believe that a particular plan is good for a single state but not good for a national policy.

and it is kinda funny that others do not understand this

kmoney

Hall of Fame
It's similar to a tax credit, though not written in the exact same way. It achieves the same type of goal. For example, people that buy electric or hybrid vehicles get a tax credit (i.e. don't have to pay as much money on their taxes) than people that don't buy vehicles at all or buy normal vehicles.

Lots of behavior is encouraged and discouraged through the tax code. It's a very normal part of the US government. It's also why our tax code is so complex. :p

I understand the government using taxes to encourage of discourage behavior. This seems different though. For instance, they might tax cigarettes to discourage the purchase of it. Or, in your example, they give a tax credit if you buy or do a certain thing. This health insurance mandate would be closer to that latter example, but it's not that someone gets a tax credit if they buy insurance. They have to pay extra taxes/penalties on top of their existing rate. You might call it semantics, whether the person is paying more because of a lack of a tax credit or paying more because they have an extra "tax", but I'm not sure it is. :idunno:

What I find ironic is that the Democrats argued that this wasn't a tax and now that's the way their policy is keeping its life.

bigbang123

I like the one that you don't have to pay for

8 out of 10 americans already have healthcare thru their jobs, so the "tax" penalty for not having health insurance is not an issue for most and our govt will help the poor and small business owners afford healthcare. Now all you have to pray for is that you live in a state where your Governor doesn't turn down the Federal govt's help with additional Medicaid funds.

eameece

So the more taxes you pay the more civilized the society is how you see it?
You think most other countries of the world are uncivilized, is that how you see it?
So allowing murders, kidnappers and alike to live is civilized?
Killing people by state order is uncivilized.
You are an affront to all that is Good and right... You have absolutely no morality... you call good evil and evil good. You are all that is wrong with America..
Thank you. Coming from a "right wing fanatic" that is a compliment! :third:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
You think most other countries of the world are uncivilized, is that how you see it?

Killing people by state order is uncivilized.

Thank you. Coming from a "right wing fanatic" that is a compliment! :third:
You're a fool.

One Eyed Jack

Yes, it should have been 9-0 if partisan politics were excluded.

The "penalty" is a transparently tax, easily constitutional.

Funny thing is the entire mandate idea was a Republican alternative to "Hillarycare" and Obamacare is essentially identical to Romneycare.

Was it over 2,000 pages as well, and did the Massachusetts legislature have to vote on it before they could find out what was in it?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why do evolutionists like being called idiots by Christians? :idunno:

Alate_One

Was it over 2,000 pages as well, and did the Massachusetts legislature have to vote on it before they could find out what was in it?

Why is length of legislation evil? And you really think nobody at all read the bill? Congresspeople have employees that read legislation for them. Precious few read much of anything themselves, heck they often don't even draft legislation themselves.

But all of that is a distraction to the FACT that Romneycare was used as the basis for drafting the healthcare law the Affordable Care Act AKA Obamacare. It is the same thing. It was intended to be more palatable to republicans because it is THEIR IDEA.

Alate_One

Here's a nice infographic to make this point clear.

Do3UG.jpg