toldailytopic: Did the Supreme Court make the right call over Obamacare?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 28th, 2012 01:24 PM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

jeffblue101

Only, if you think that Congress should have the power to tax your freedom to not to buy a particular product.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't know if it was the right call but if you follow the dollars the winners are the healthcare industry, insurers and big Pharm. It is a bailout in disguise.

eameece

Of course. The mandate was a tax; perfectly constitutional. And a necessary start for reform, leading eventually to Medicare for all like any civilized country should have.
:)

Alate_One

Yes, it should have been 9-0 if partisan politics were excluded.

The "penalty" is a transparently tax, easily constitutional.

Funny thing is the entire mandate idea was a Republican alternative to "Hillarycare" and Obamacare is essentially identical to Romneycare.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
It must be correct, the opinion was written by Republican Justice John Roberts! What could go wrong?

Granite

Hall of Fame
That Roberts seemed unhappy with the idea of a mandate, and the act itself, strikes me as interesting. He appears to be a man stuck with an idea he feels he must defend constitutionally, even though he doesn't much like the position he's been put in.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Yes, it should have been 9-0 if partisan politics were excluded.

The "penalty" is a transparently tax, easily constitutional.

Funny thing is the entire mandate idea was a Republican alternative to "Hillarycare" and Obamacare is essentially identical to Romneycare.

Which is why I have encouraged people to listen to the following episode from Bob Enyart.

Listen here.

Obama used Romney as a template!

eameece

Stealing is the standard of a "Civilized Country"...?

Most more-civilized countries have taxes. They generally have more taxes than we do, in fact. America is barbaric by comparison. For example, we have not signed onto the international criminal court, anti-mine conventions, or standards for children in prison (which the Supreme Court also addressed this week). We have capital punishment (most civilized countries have abolished); gun control (most countries have more); people in prison (most countries have less than we do); the list goes on and on. It IS time indeed that we became a more civilized country. Given Republican power, it will take far more time than it should-- and has already.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Of course. The mandate was a tax; perfectly constitutional. And a necessary start for reform, leading eventually to Medicare for all like any civilized country should have.

Wrong, unequal protection under the law is not constitutional.

Exempting certain americans from being under it is unequal protection under the law.

Congress and union members are exempt from Obamacare (among others)

eameece

It would be kinda ironic if Romney repeals in the USA the very same thing he passed in Massachusetts.

sesseltheologe

Interestingly, the reform never ends. Here in Germany for example, the health care system is similar to Obamacare (as I understand it all) and there are always problems and ideas to reform the system.

At the end of the day nothing is going to change much really.

eameece

Wrong, unequal protection under the law is not constitutional.

Exempting certain americans from being under it is unequal protection under the law.

Congress and union members are exempt from Obamacare (among others)

I don't think so. Congress has health insurance, so the mandate applies and they pass. Unions are not exempt; they have nothing to do with it. Perhaps that's why your objections were not even considered by the Court.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I don't think so. Congress has health insurance, so the mandate applies and they pass. Unions are not exempt; they have nothing to do with it. Perhaps that's why your objections were not even considered by the Court.

Thats a lie, I know that for a fact. I know people who are in a union and their children are not covered till they are 26, it still ends at 19, because union members have been exempted from it and i have personally seen letters to that effect talking about granted waivers, after employees tried to add their older children back to their plans.

Better check into all the waivers given.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Only if you like being in the poor house and having the government make your healthcare decisions for you...

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

Thats a lie, I know that for a fact. I know people who are in a union and their children are not covered till they are 26, it still ends at 19, because union members have been exempted from it and i have personally seen letters to that effect talking about granted waivers, after employees tried to add their older children back to their plans.

Better check into all the waivers given.

I think you are both not well informed about this as it relates to unions. I am a union employee and what is going to happen is that we are exempt from Obamacare but have to pay basically a luxury tax on what has been named a "cadillac plan". How this exemption effects congress I have no idea but, I am sure they have padded themselves a nice place to land in all this...the crooks that they all are.

Alate_One

Only if you like being in the poor house and having the government make your healthcare decisions for you...

Obamacare does nothing of the sort. It simply asks you to have or buy some kind of insurance. In fact it's biased towards the private insurance industry. Exactly what you'd expect as a republican alternative.