toldailytopic: Christopher Columbus: hero or zero?

Alate_One

Why do people hate Columbus? Because he was a horrible human being and a terrible governor. He enslaved and butchered the native people. There are no pure native people left, the Spanish had to import African slaves because the natives had died out.

First Nations

We celebrate him because he allowed those of us of European ancestry somewhere to spread out in. It just seems it could have been done without so much bloodshed and oppression.

Read the history of Bartolomé de las Casas, a contemporary of Columbus.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's because there's no holiday named after Ericson. Everyone remembers Columbus because he's got a day to his name. :plain:

No. We remember Columbus because they wrote a song about him.

We remember Ericson because there's a cell phone named after him. :chuckle:

Daedalean's_Sun

And he did not share what he knew with others. Columbus is a hero. He proved the Bible right about the earth being a sphere suspended in space, and not flat like the the heathen and RCC claimed.

Actually no. The notion that most commoners, as well as the Roman Catholic Church thought that the earth was flat, was a historical myth started by Washington Irving when he wrote of Christopher Columbus in A History of the Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus in 1828 he took certain artistic liberties, which are not reflected by historical documents. Most historians dismiss the notion of the flat-earth objections to Columbus' voyages. The Roundness of the earth was well known by the 13th century. The argument against funding Columbus' voyage was not over whether the earth was flat or round, but rather how large the earth was making such a voyage not feasible. Even since at least antiquity seafarers had known about the roundness of the earth due to the fact that masts of ships appear on the horizon before the hull. Polynesian peoples knew the earth was round based on the migration patterns of birds, and is in fact how the Hawaiian islands were first discovered.

But I'm sure you'll just call me stupid, and neg rep me like you always do, because you have the intellectual integrity of a carrot.

Last edited:

Paulos

The notion that most commoners, as well as the Roman Catholic Church thought that the earth was flat, was a historical myth started by Washington Irving when he wrote of Christopher Columbus in A History of the Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus in 1828 he took certain artistic liberties, which are not reflected by historical documents...But I'm sure you'll just call me stupid, and neg rep me like you always do, because you have the intellectual integrity of a carrot.

You'll have to excuse Nick M. He learned everything he knows about the history of Western Civilization from watching Loony Tunes, such as this one where Bugs Bunny set sail with Christopher Columbus for the express purpose of proving that the world is round and not flat:

Bugs Bunny - Hare We Go (1951)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Columbus didn't prove the world was round, nor did he intend to. It's a myth.

It is a myth that he also was looking for Eden in the east by going west? I didn't realize you will do or say anything to promote evil.

People already knew the earth was round.

Yep. Bible believing Christians knew, like Columbus.

The RCC didn't claim the earth was flat when Columbus made his trip.

They did. The best theory on why the lie(since they won't admit it) is they knew of the new world from the Ericson and others. Like the RCC created Temple Knights (Knights Templar).

He thought he was in Asia.

Providing evidence to the theory of the RCC hiding that news.

Alate_One

They did. The best theory on why the lie(since they won't admit it) is they knew of the new world from the Ericson and others. Like the RCC created Temple Knights (Knights Templar).
Oh really? Which RCC officials claimed the earth was flat? The sphericity of the earth was widely accepted in the early Christian church (year 200 or so), though they seemed to have an odd fixation with people living at the anitpodes.

Apparently you think telling the truth about someone that enslaved and destroyed the lives of others, makes someone hellbound? Or maybe it's just anyone that disagrees with your nonsensical worldview?

Or maybe you're as racist as Columbus and his cronies who felt it was only right for the advanced and righteous Spanish to force poor backwards non-christian indigenous peoples to dig gold for the Spanish until they died?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Columbus was more a modem man, a emerging class, merchants, the beginning of the bourgeois. He benefited from Spain when Spain was on high water. Later, he did not do as well. He discovered the West Indies and that lead to colonialism by Spain, yet I would bet he was Italian, rather than Spanish, if memory serves me?

zoo22

Yeah, it's quite interesting how that happened. Perhaps he had better PR?

Among other things, he was one of the first to say it was a new land (not Asia). Columbus thought it was Asia. But he actually did have pretty good PR... He'd written letters describing exploring "The New World" and they were printed all through Europe.