toldailytopic: Cat or dog? Which animal is the most intelligent?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 18th, 2011 07:35 AM

toldailytopic: Cat or dog? Which animal is the most intelligent?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I don't think it is a matter of which one is smarter

how can you respect an animal that will do anything to please its master?

at least the cat can pretend it doesn't need you

SaulToPaul 2

Dogs love you no matter how much attention you give them.

Cats are like women, you have to ignore them part of the time if you want them to like you. They'll come to you when they are good and ready. :D

Granite

Hall of Fame
Totally depends on the breed. The labs I grew up with were sweet but (with one exception) not the sharpest knives in the drawer. My pitbull is incredibly bright--as are the wife's cats. Quite clever. Sometimes too clever...

HisServant

My Jack Russell (Parsons) terrier is the smartest animal I have ever had. We keep joking that if he ever had opposable thumbs we would all be in big trouble.

Cats on the other hand.. the ones I have had have been pretty much dumb as a box of rocks.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dogs love you no matter how much attention you give them.

Cats are like women, you have to ignore them part of the time if you want them to like you. They'll come to you when they are good and ready. :D

Lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of the car for 2 hours. Then open it. See which one is happier to see you.

:eek:

MrRadish

I seem to remember reading that dogs do better than cats in animal intelligence tests.

Suffice to say this surprised me. Maybe it's because these tests often revolve around in the animals doing what they're told...

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dogs

Cat's just like to think they're intelligent.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How does it go....Dogs think they are people. Cats think they are God.

Buzzword

I'd much rather have an animal which worships the ground I walk on than one who just takes up space, demands I pay for its right to poop indoors, and demands I buy food for the descendant of a great predator.

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

So yeah. Dogs.
Preferably a dog which is reasonably calm, like my brother's brindled dachshund.
Still wouldn't want to have to train them and clean up after them, though.

So basically, I love OTHER PEOPLE'S dogs.

MrRadish

Interesting. I'd find it uncomfortable and borderline embarrassing if a pet 'worshipped the ground I walked on'. I find with cats the relationship seems a lot more equal, although maybe that's because the one I had was quite an affectionate one.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Intelligence tests don't work all that well for dogs. They keep asking the scientists for help.

"Hey, you! Yeah, you with the thumbs. Come over here. We need this box opened."

On the other hand, that's probably not so dumb, is it? I don't know which is smarter, but the dogs have been tuning their intelligence to that of humans for at least tens of thousands of years. So their intelligence is likely a lot closer to ours.

This weekend, I was putting in some stones for a path, and digging with small rakelike instrument to fit the hole for a rock when noticed being hit with dirt. Behind me, my dog had walked up and begun digging in the same area. She doesn't usually dig, so she likely realized what I was doing, and was copying me.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
How does it go....Dogs think they are people. Cats think they are God.

The dog thinks:
"The human feeds me, houses me, and looks after my every need. He must be God."

The cat thinks:
"The human feeds me, houses me, and looks after my every need. I must be God."

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Old joke...but it bears repeating. :plain:

Adam said, "Lord, when I was in the garden, you walked with me every day.

Now I do not see you anymore. I am lonesome here and it is difficult for me to remember how much you love me."

And God said, "No problem! I will create a companion for you that will be with you forever and who will be a reflection of my love for you, so that you will love me even when you cannot see me.

Regardless of how selfish or childish or unlovable you may be, this new companion will accept you as you are and will love you as I do, in spite of yourself."

And God created a new animal to be a companion for Adam. And it was a good animal.

And God was pleased. And the new animal was pleased to be with Adam and he wagged his tail.

And Adam said, "Lord, I have already named all the animals in the Kingdom and I cannot think of a name for this new animal."

And God said, "No problem! Because I have created this new animal to be a reflection of my love for you, his name will be a reflection of my own name, "and you will call him DOG."

And Dog lived with Adam and was a companion to him and loved him.

And Adam was comforted.

And God was pleased.

And Dog was content and wagged his tail.

After a while, it came to pass that Adam's guardian angel came to the Lord and said, "Lord, Adam has become filled with pride.

He struts and preens like a peacock and he believes he is worthy of adoration.

Dog has indeed taught him that he is loved, but perhaps too well."

And the Lord said, "No problem! I will create for him a companion who will be with him forever and who will see him as he is.

The companion will remind him of his limitations, so he will know that he is not always worthy of adoration."

And God created Cat to be a companion to Adam.

And Cat would not obey Adam.

And when Adam gazed into Cat's eyes, he was reminded that he was not the supreme being.

And Adam learned humility.

And God was pleased.

And Adam was greatly improved.

And Dog was happy.

And Cat didn't give a damn one way or the other.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Old joke...but it bears repeating. :plain:

Adam said, "Lord, when I was in the garden, you walked with me every day.

Now I do not see you anymore. I am lonesome here and it is difficult for me to remember how much you love me."

And God said, "No problem! I will create a companion for you that will be with you forever and who will be a reflection of my love for you, so that you will love me even when you cannot see me.

Regardless of how selfish or childish or unlovable you may be, this new companion will accept you as you are and will love you as I do, in spite of yourself."

And God created a new animal to be a companion for Adam. And it was a good animal.

And God was pleased. And the new animal was pleased to be with Adam and he wagged his tail.

And Adam said, "Lord, I have already named all the animals in the Kingdom and I cannot think of a name for this new animal."

And God said, "No problem! Because I have created this new animal to be a reflection of my love for you, his name will be a reflection of my own name, "and you will call him DOG."

And Dog lived with Adam and was a companion to him and loved him.

And Adam was comforted.

And God was pleased.

And Dog was content and wagged his tail.

After a while, it came to pass that Adam's guardian angel came to the Lord and said, "Lord, Adam has become filled with pride.

He struts and preens like a peacock and he believes he is worthy of adoration.

Dog has indeed taught him that he is loved, but perhaps too well."

And the Lord said, "No problem! I will create for him a companion who will be with him forever and who will see him as he is.

The companion will remind him of his limitations, so he will know that he is not always worthy of adoration."

And God created Cat to be a companion to Adam.

And Cat would not obey Adam.

And when Adam gazed into Cat's eyes, he was reminded that he was not the supreme being.

And Adam learned humility.

And God was pleased.

And Adam was greatly improved.

And Dog was happy.

And Cat didn't give a damn one way or the other.

:crackup:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am not sure which are more intelligent ... I have three of each, but the dogs seem to be quicker learners. Two of the cats tend to be sneaky and enjoy doing things just to be annoying.

My preference is dogs ... they are much more loyal and loving.

Ted L Glines

Humans always call firemen to rescue cats outta trees. That shows that cats are smarter than humans. You ever see a tree full of cat skeletons?

Intelligence in animals is based upon a simple test: Which one avoids idiotic humans? Dogs lose. Cats win.

When a cat is laughing at us, it sounds like rapid rattling. We call it "purring" and we are dumb enough to think it is the sound of affection.

The Egyptians even built a city named Bubastis "House of Bast" to honor a cat (Bast) who knew she was a goddess, and she was far too aloof to settle for a mere soft bed and a box of kitty-litter.

Yep. Cats rule :thumb:

Last edited: