toldailytopic: Can a person reject the divinity of Christ and still be a Christian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic:
Can a person reject the divinity of Christ and still be a Christian?

No.

Christ is the qualifier, the divine qualifier. When a person is genuinely saved, born again, redeemed by the blood of the lamb, and making a confession of such, they know and recognize the Divinity of Christ.

Without believing and accepting Jesus Christ a one's Savior, then Christian is just a name.

How can a person say they believe in Christ and reject His Divinty, and be saved, you can't, either He is or He isn't.

I believe Christ Jesus is divine, and settles it for me...Praise the Lord!

And without Christ Jesus I could do nothing.​

oatmeal

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 3rd, 2011 10:42 AM

toldailytopic: Can a person reject the divinity of Christ and still be a Christian?

Maybe a better question is:

Can a person believe that Jesus christ is God and still be a Christian?

or one of the following:

Or can a person believe that the earth is flat and still be a Christian?

Can a person believe that Moses took two of each kind of animal on the ark and still be a Christian?

Can a person believe that Peter did not have a mother in law and still be a Christian?

Can a person believe that the church is a mother and still be a Christian?

oatmeal

One Eyed Jack

How long, do you suppose God will allow a person to go on denying the deity of Christ? Will He let a person go on denying Christ's deity to the point that they preach anti-trinitarianism and lead others astray with this false teaching?

I don't think I led anybody astray. Then again, I wasn't even sure what I thought. I was really confused. Then I ran into the answer on the last place I'd ever have thought to see it -- the Jews for Jesus website. It explained the Trinity in a way that I could finally understand.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
How long, do you suppose God will allow a person to go on denying the deity of Christ? Will He let a person go on denying Christ's deity to the point that they preach anti-trinitarianism and lead others astray with this false teaching?[/QUOTE

1Co 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Don't misunderstand me. When I came to Christ, I NEVER denied that Jesus is GOD and I never worked against that notion. I submited to Him at that time with all the understanding that I had of Him which was that He is Lord/my master/sovereign and that my salvation is found in no other. I teach the full Deity and humanity of Christ and have for thirty years. I thank Him that I did not have to have a comprehensive understanding of the Nicene and Chalcedonian Creeds in order to be saved. GOD is for us and He doesn't require us to jump through a bunch of intellectual hoops in order to get there. I do question whether people who militantly teach against the full Deity of Christ were ever saved, since I believe that Paul is not merely saying 'Lord/adon/master' in ICo 12:3,but 'LORD/YHVH/GOD.
To answer your question, it seems obvious that He does allow it even til' death, however it seems to me that those who continue to adamantly deny the plain sense of scripture, Jn 1:1, Phil 2:5-11, Col 1:15-19; 2:9 do not have the illumination of the Holy Spirit.

Rom 8:9 You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.

I have known many people whom the LORD delivered out of darkness into His glorious light, who only understood that they were without peace, were weighed down by sin, needed a Saviour and trusted Jesus for that salvation. Thank GOD for His grace.
The question can be raised and I raise it often myself: How do you know that they received the right/true Jesus? I think that it becomes apparent through a changed life, the fruit of the spirit, teachableness, and faithfulness to right doctrine. We grow in understanding. Much of the NT is the admonishment to believers to change their misconceptions and come to a fuller understanding of the truth.

How many people do you know who had a mature comprehensive grasp of trinitarian doctrine when they came to be saved and could express it with exquisite articulation?

I think that sometimes many forget just how little they did know and understand at the point of salvation. We can't take what we know now and project backwards to our moment of salvation and claim that we knew it then.

Last edited:

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Can I get a quarter for every time this question should be asked: who is Jesus?

Last edited:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
How long, do you suppose God will allow a person to go on denying the deity of Christ? Will He let a person go on denying Christ's deity to the point that they preach anti-trinitarianism and lead others astray with this false teaching?

What do you mean God letting a person do those things? Are you suggesting God will stop someone? Or only that that person won't be saved?

And do you think someone who is taught an anti-trinitarian view and believes it will not be saved? Reminds me of my thread about if bad teaching can send someone to hell.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
No...they haven't understood what the NT writers were talking about when they called Jesus Lord.

I guess I'd hope that God looks at the heart instead of what someone understands with their mind.

Good to see ya, SOJ. :wave2:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
:thumb: I agree. At least that way we can have Christians and Christians* :noid: The word is losing its meaning to an extent that is somewhat frustrating. :idunno:

What meaning did it have? What meaning does it have now?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
No, they cannot be a Christian and deny the divinity of Christ. They can call themselves "Christians" all they want, but the non-divine object of their faith is but an idol.

Or perhaps the trinitarians with their deified Jesus worship an idol.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I don't think I led anybody astray. Then again, I wasn't even sure what I thought. I was really confused. Then I ran into the answer on the last place I'd ever have thought to see it -- the Jews for Jesus website. It explained the Trinity in a way that I could finally understand.

What way did they explain the Trinity?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
What did the first gentiles believe about Jesus when GOD saw their hearts and gave them the Holy Spirit, thus sealing them unto the day of redemption of the body?

Act 10:36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all)
Act 10:37 That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;
Act 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
Act 10:39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
Act 10:40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;
Act 10:41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.
Act 10:42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.
Act 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

Act 15:8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
Act 15:9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

2Co 1:21 Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God;
2Co 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 3rd, 2011 10:42 AM

I just signed on today and found this topic of the day. The question should be a duh question. But yet many people don't get it. The divinity of Christ is a core Christian belief as is the Trinity. Yet we have members on here identifying themselves as Christian that deny that Jesus is God. They should be using the 'Other' tag.

oatmeal

No. I think that we ought to distinguish Christians by way of the Nicene Creed:

We believe in one God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, Very God of Very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father by whom all things were made; who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the Virgin Mary, and was made man, and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate. He suffered and was buried, and the third day he rose again according to the Scriptures, and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father. And he shall come again with glory to judge both the quick and the dead, whose kingdom shall have no end.

And we believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life, who proceedeth from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified, who spoke by the prophets. And we believe one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins. And we look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Why?

Based on what scriptures?

oatmeal

Status
Not open for further replies.