toldailytopic: BBQ battle: Charcoal vs. Propane? Which do you prefer and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoo22

Is Pittsburgh steak the same as "Black & Blue?" Almost raw inside, but charred on the outside?

The Graphite

Is Pittsburgh steak the same as "Black & Blue?" Almost raw inside, but charred on the outside?

Everywhere I've ever been, "black & blue" in relation to steak has always referred to a healthy dose of black pepper, sauteed mushrooms and blue cheese melted on top (which is my absolute favorite way to have a steak, by the way).

The "pittsburgh" term originates from Pittsburgh steel workers. On paydays, many of them would buy themselves a thick porterhouse steak as a nice self-reward, take it to work, and slap the steak directly on the super-hot iron, and then eat it for lunch. Charred on the outside, bloody rare on the inside.

Of course, it can only be done right with a very thick steak.

Lon

Charcoal for slow even cooking and smokey flavor.

Gas when the job needs to be quicker.

Charcoal for company.

Gas for a quick spur of the moment grill-on hunger.

zoo22

Everywhere I've ever been, "black & blue" in relation to steak has always referred to a healthy dose of black pepper, sauteed mushrooms and blue cheese melted on top (which is my absolute favorite way to have a steak, by the way).

The "pittsburgh" term originates from Pittsburgh steel workers. On paydays, many of them would buy themselves a thick porterhouse steak as a nice self-reward, take it to work, and slap the steak directly on the super-hot iron, and then eat it for lunch. Charred on the outside, bloody rare on the inside.

Of course, it can only be done right with a very thick steak.

I looked it up... "Black & Blue" is a Pittsburgh steak... It's what they call a Pittsburgh steak in Pittsburgh. :plain:

But I've never lived in Pittsburgh, and I'd always called a Pittsburgh steak "Black & Blue." Maybe it's more east coast or something...

I like the term "Black & Blue." ...But "Fred"'ll do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.