toldailytopic: Assisted suicide. Is it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Assisted Suicide is just immoral. It devalues life. The next step from that is euthanasia at the request of the family.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Assisted Suicide is just immoral. It devalues life. The next step from that is euthanasia at the request of the family.

I guess I don't see the "value" in insisting someone go on in misery and unstoppable agony in order to satisfy the desires and misplaced mercy of somebody else.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Self-injury is not new, Kett. The whole "emo" subculture might be but cutting, burning, and the like wasn't their innovation.

What the heck is 'emo' subculture?

Knight answered his own post, what is more to say.:dizzy:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I guess I don't see the "value" in insisting someone go on in misery and unstoppable agony in order to satisfy the desires and misplaced mercy of somebody else.

:nono: Being that I might face it, there is morphine and more powerful derivatives to keep the pain away. I mean you are on :cloud9: There is no reason for rejecting 'heroic measures', or life support, no wrong in rejecting transplants, or radiation, chemotherapy and other artificial gadgets.

Guess I had something to say.:car:

Newman

Newman would be proud.

:nono:

I remember talking about this with you. Remember? I told you about the time I called 911 because I saw somebody trying to get hit by a car on the highway.

If/When I/'ve see/n somebody try to commit suicide, I will/have try/tried to stop them, even if it means violating pure libertarian self-ownership/non-aggression principles (which is arguable).

Instances of extreme suffering are difficult. As are situations in which one person must sacrifice his/her life so that others may live.

Judges 16 has the account of Samson in such an occasion. He asked God to give him one last burst of strength to bring down the building, and then let him die with the Philistines.

There's also the case that Jesus willingly gave himself over to the Jewish and Roman authorities, knowing that his ultimate fate was death on a cross. They even broke the legs of the other two, which was intended as a way to speed up their death.

Ecclesiastes 3 seems to suggest that there may be a season, or an occasion, for such a thing, but I don't know.

Buuuuut, there's also tons of Scripture passages on the sanctity of life and how God is in control of such things.

Again, it isn't perfectly conclusive in Scripture one way or another, but I lean toward anti-suicide. It's something that I'm not totally convinced one way or another, so in the meantime, I'm going to err on the side of life until I have some sort of epiphany. :plain:

Granite

Hall of Fame
:nono: Being that I might face it, there is morphine and more powerful derivatives to keep the pain away. I mean you are on :cloud9: There is no reason for rejecting 'heroic measures', or life support, no wrong in rejecting transplants, or radiation, chemotherapy and other artificial gadgets.

Guess I had something to say.:car:

There is plenty of reason to reject chemo. And someone may not want to live out the rest of their days in a drug-addled stupor. They may simply wish to go. What you're saying is that your own pet sense of morality is more important than the decision made by the patient who's actually suffering.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
:nono:

I remember talking about this with you. Remember? I told you about the time I called 911 because I saw somebody trying to get hit by a car on the highway.

If/When I/'ve see/n somebody try to commit suicide, I will/have try/tried to stop them, even if it means violating pure libertarian self-ownership/non-aggression principles (which is arguable).

Walter Block you're not Newman (i.e. there's still hope for you yet).

Instances of extreme suffering are difficult. As are situations in which one person must sacrifice his/her life so that others may live.

I fail to see the comparison (the latter being a act of true heroism).

Judges 16 has the account of Samson in such an occasion. He asked God to give him one last burst of strength to bring down the building, and then let him die with the Philistines.

There's also the case that Jesus willingly gave himself over to the Jewish and Roman authorities, knowing that his ultimate fate was death on a cross. They even broke the legs of the other two, which was intended as a way to speed up their death.

Ecclesiastes 3 seems to suggest that there may be a season, or an occasion, for such a thing, but I don't know.

Buuuuut, there's also tons of Scripture passages on the sanctity of life and how God is in control of such things.

Again, it isn't perfectly conclusive in Scripture one way or another, but I lean toward anti-suicide.

I thought that "Thou Shalt Not Murder" (including oneself) was pretty clear.

It's something that I'm not totally convinced one way or another, so in the meantime, I'm going to err on the side of life until I have some sort of epiphany. :plain:

I'll start off with a quote that I frequently use regarding abortion vs birth control measures:

"There's a difference between preventing a pregnancy and terminating one."

There is a difference between having a clause in your will known as "Non Resuscitation", or having medication applied to ease the pain of a terminally ill patient, as opposed to Jack "the grim reaper" Kevorkian coming in and offing a human being at the first sign of a sniffle.

Tyrathca

:nono: Being that I might face it, there is morphine and more powerful derivatives to keep the pain away. I mean you are on :cloud9:
Having seen people die of terminal cancers while receiving being given palliative care (including large doses of various painkillers) I can tell that you certainly are not on :cloud9: during the weeks or months before death. The drugs available are strong but all too often they aren't strong enough to remove the pain without quickly killing the patient.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
How is that different than flamers?

Your average drag queen is incredibly more masculine than just about any emo boy.

Funniest thing I ever saw in the classroom was two emo boys fighting. Two boys that looked more like girls screaming, crying and bumping in to each other. It was probly wrong of me to tell them that one of them needs to throw a punch so I could honestly put "fighting" on the referral. They just cried more. I ended up sending them up to the office for disrupting the class. I heard they cried all the way to the office.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your average drag queen is incredibly more masculine than just about any emo boy.
:hammer: Thread derail.

Back on topic: People wanting to off themselves is wrong. That's been stated a couple of times. The wrong is compounded when the suicidal person tries to draw another person into his actions through assisted suicide.

If someone doesn't want lengthy suffering, he does have the option of refusing treatment.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Originally Posted by Persephone66

:hammer: Thread derail.

While I do my fair share of EXPOSING the homosexual agenda and lifestyle, you must understand Kett, when you're around a homosexual (or a homosexual transvestite, as in the case of P-66), the conversation is bound to return to their IDENTITY.

That is who they are and what they are. They live, eat and breathe their chosen sexual identity. In order to at least try and understand them, you have to ackowledge what I just wrote.

Sorry for the interruption, back to the topic.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I was just answering Nick's question, excuse me.

Any way.

I don't know if it counts as an assisted suicide, but I'd rather be dead than be a vegetable. Same goes for if I fell terminally ill and there was no cure. Once things start going down hill, pull the plug.

I'm reminded of a good friend of mine I lost to cancer some years ago. He and his doctors beat it once. Then it came back. He could have gone on chemo, It would have given him another year, but that year would have been torture. He chose not to and to die on his own terms. It was a decision of quality of life over quantity of life. I respect his decision. Sad to see him go.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Choosing not to go on chemo, is a decision some terminally ill people make. Chemo can make a person very ill.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
There is plenty of reason to reject chemo. And someone may not want to live out the rest of their days in a drug-addled stupor. They may simply wish to go. What you're saying is that your own pet sense of morality is more important than the decision made by the patient who's actually suffering.

I am actually suffering, or didn't you know? Second, my opinion is what I am stating and you are wrong about the 'drug addicted' concept; when someone is that far gone, one would never need to deal with it, they are kept out of pain and it is usually a short time.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

Funniest thing I ever saw in the classroom was two emo boys fighting. Two boys that looked more like girls screaming, crying and bumping in to each other. It was probably wrong of me to tell them that one of them needs to throw a punch so I could honestly put "fighting" on the referral. They just cried more. I ended up sending them up to the office for disrupting the class. I heard they cried all the way to the office.

This is because the 'emo' boys you have described are more like girls than fetish transvestites, who think they should be female. :dizzy: Most of those heterosexual men who at age 35 think they should be have been women have a history if fetish cross-dressing, although they attempt to deny it. No married man, who is a father, is thinking sane when he thinks he is a female, that is an extension of a psychological problem with intimacy.

I seen cases of both and am quite sure on this one; those who are able to slip into mainstream life and never bring up the past, are the little sissy types.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

BabyChristian

Yes, it's wrong. No one owns their own life. We were bought at a price. And even those who reject that and refuse the exchange are wrong to kill themselves, because they are wrong for rejecting the price that was paid.

I so agree. Didn't used to, used to believe we were our own gods and abortion was okay along with suicide.

Boy was my life a mess when I thought I was my own god.

We do not own our bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.