toldailytopic: Are you less likely to enjoy a movie or watch it at all if one of it's

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Are you less likely to enjoy a movie or watch it at all if one of it's main actors is known to have said negative things about America?

I don't listen to enough of them to know their viewpoints on these issues. I do know of a few idiot liberals, though. But I try to ignore those things when I watch movies. But most of them weren't actors I was interested in before I heard their politics anyway.

What about when a talented actor/actress comes out as a homo?

Isn't it the land of the free ?

Or the free to do anything but criticise it?

There plenty of good and plenty to criticise in most countries, grown ups can cope with people talking about it honestly.
Yes. It's the land where we are free to dislike people who criticize America, thought they are free to do so, to the point we avoid the things in which they are involved if we so choose, moron.

Yes, i am less likely to watch/enjoy it. That includes raving liberal extremist actors as well.
I will admit that I liked Natalie Portman as an actress and thought she was quite attractive until I heard her speak about politics. I don't think it lessened her talent, but I didn't like her as much anymore.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

toldailytopic: Are you less likely to enjoy a movie or watch it at all if one of it's main actors is known to have said negative things about America?

I enjoy watching Sean Penn in his natural habitat.

spicoli.jpg

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 20th, 2012 09:51 AM

A few actors and actresses I've never liked:

• Alec Baldwin
    Danny Glover
    Sean Penn
    Susan Sarandon
    Jane Fonda

I don't watch any of their movies (anymore) because I think they're all terrible actors. Once they opened their mouths in public, about politics, I had another reason not to like them.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't single out political views or anti-American statements but there are certain things that lessen how much I enjoy seeing someone in a movie. For instance, Cruise and his Scientology. Or Travolta and the recent news about his homosexual affairs. And he's a Scientologist too. But I don't think I care much about their political views. :idunno:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I will admit that I liked Natalie Portman as an actress and thought she was quite attractive until I heard her speak about politics. I don't think it lessened her talent, but I didn't like her as much anymore.

She could get an Obama vote out of me. :eek:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I couldn't care less what an actor's politics are--I'm not watching them, I'm watching the character.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
She could get an Obama vote out of me. :eek:
I see you're a "more than" member though. So you aren't as ideologically aligned. I suspect that's why I'm not bothered that much by Selleck's or Hanks' political views, having at least a little in common with both and not being as politically motivated.

And to be clear on my religious reaction, I don't have a problem with the hypocrisy of human foibles expressed in religion being lampooned. It's when the point is to demean God that I don't care for it.

Real Sorceror

I have a lot of issues with Scientologists, which is definitely why I've avoided seeing any Tom Cruise films in the last decade. Travolta used to be one of my favorites until he became associated with the cult.

But as a whole, the actor's offscreen behavior generally doesn't affect me unless I know they're good people. I definitely enjoy a movie more when I like actor as a person.

If I avoided actors for criticizing America I'd be a huge hypocrite.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
Movies are products, and like products I will boycott if a good (or bad) enough reason gets my attention. Conversely, if true repentance came to my attention...I would reconsider.

I liked October Sky but since Brokeback Mountain came out, I can’t watch anything with that Jake What’s-his-name in it.
Watching him play a lady’s man to me now would be like watching Bill Maher play an American bomber pilot...or Howard Stern playing a concerned parent of a Columbine victim...or Cecile Richards playing Tim Tebow’s mother.

This Charming Manc

Yes. It's the land where we are free to dislike people who criticize America, thought they are free to do so, to the point we avoid the things in which they are involved if we so choose, moron.

I see you have been spending more of you hard earned cash at the Nick M school of charm. :)

The point I am alluding to is when you hound, criticise and persecute descenting voices like many on the right here like to do. You make is very easy for people to all kinds of nasty things under the name of patriotism.

I don't know things like start a war on false premises that kills 1000's of american service personnel and hundreds of thousands of Arabs, to suit the policy of small number of oil companies?

Artists who spoke what many would now consider to be a insightful view of that 2nd Gulf war were very badly treated at that start by this patriotic flag waving hysteria.

Strong democracies need to be criticised from the left, the right and the centre. Any attempt to silence or limit this weakens the democracy, to my mind this how dare you criticise america pap does that.

This Charming Manc

Good job of thread crapping and proving for the ten thousandth time that you are a whiny left-wing sissy girl.

yawn ..... nothing to say on the point so abuse, don't you get tired of appearing so limited ?

So... can you answer the OP?

Well in direct answer I don't get offended if actors say sensible things in criticism of that states, but then again I am not american. I get offended by mindless bigotry and prejudice if its aimed at anyone including the good old USA.

Answering the spirit of the question I kinda gave up on Mel Gibson after his anti English film in a run, but he ended up making an arse of himself anyway.

Ps82

I would not go to a theater or rent the movie and would also be less likely to watch it on television for free.

Arthur Brain

Meh, about as much as if an actor held anti British views. If we based film enjoyment on the political views of actors may as well only read books instead, well, as long as the author doesn't hold political views opposed to our own....

Granite

Hall of Fame
You could really apply this across the arts--musicians, painters, and the like.

As a nation, we hate any kind of criticism, period, and certainly aren't good at doing it to ourselves. Maybe we should try listening, every once in a while. Just maybe.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I see you're a "more than" member though. So you aren't as ideologically aligned. I suspect that's why I'm not bothered that much by Selleck's or Hanks' political views, having at least a little in common with both and not being as politically motivated.

I was just joking. :plain: I think. :noid: