toldailytopic: Are the 6 days of creation in the book of Genesis a literal 6 days?

IMJerusha

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 28th, 2013 06:00 AM

toldailytopic: Are the 6 days of creation in the book of Genesis a literal 6 days?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I believe it was a literal 6 days. "And there was evening, and there was morning--the first day."

The Berean

I have a question for those who believe the creation of Genesis 1 is metaphorical. At what point in the Book of Genesis does it become factual/historical? Do you believe that Abraham/Issac/Jacob/Joseph were real historical figures? Or is the entire Book of Genesis metaphorical?

Selaphiel

As opposed to secretely meaning different periods of times or something along those lines, yes it is literal. There is a good chance that the original authors of the Genesis accounts meant 6 literal days, but that really isn't very relevant to Christian theology. What is relevant is how Christian theology read the text and what it considered to be important in it, and it was not considered important because it contained a descriptive account of the origin of the universe (as if these ancient writers even had a conception of a universe like we have today).

It is my contention however that there is not a single person on this forum (that I know of at least), that truly believes in an ancient Hebraic cosmology. They do not believe in a flat disc shaped earth covered by a cheese lid like solid firmament with heavenly bodies ("lights") lodged into it. They do not believe in that there is such a thing as pillars of the earth. If you really want to get technical, one can start doubting that there even is such a thing as creatio ex nihilo in the biblical creation accounts. There is plenty of research that suggests that the original intent of the author (based on very advanced word studies of the Hebrew words used) was to convey that God formed the earth out of a pre-existent "primal matter/chaos" which is similar to the myths in surounding cultures where the creator gods slayed some beast of chaos (Like for example Leviathan, a dragon or a serpent).

The Berean

I believe he was speaking metaphorically to bronze age sheep herder named Moses who had no concept of numbers beyond a large herd or of space and galaxies and stars. I believe that we were created in God's image and as such, we have the capacity to understand God's creation. Science does this. It observes what God created and learns the rules God laid down for creation to follow. We can use those rules to make our lives more comfortable, easier and worse as well. Right now, it looks like God took His time creating the universe. He created it in the order that He described it to Moses which is remarkably consistent with what the Big Bang Theory would predict. Believing that creation took billions of years in no way threatens my belief that God was the one creating.
CM,

I think you are greatly mis-characterizing Moses here. You make it sound as if Moses was some ignorant uneducated sheep herder. Moses wasn't a sheep herder until after he fled from Egypt when was in his 40's. Moses was raised in the house of Pharoh by the daughter . There is no detail about his upbringing but I think it was highly likely Moses was well educated in the Egyptian education system. The Ancient Egyptians were renowned mathematicians, astronomers and engineers.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I have a question for those who believe the creation of Genesis 1 is metaphorical. At what point in the Book of Genesis does it become factual/historical? Do you believe that Abraham/Issac/Jacob/Joseph were real historical figures? Or is the entire Book of Genesis metaphorical?

Good question.

I'd go farther and ask them if they believe that Adam was a real actual living human being as Luke thought, or if Abraham was a real actual living human being as Matthew thought.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
CM,

I think you are greatly mis-characterizing Moses here. You make it sound as if Moses was some ignorant uneducated sheep herder. Moses wasn't a sheep herder until after he fled from Egypt when was in his 40's. Moses was raised in the house of Pharoh by the daughter . There is no detail about his upbringing but I think it was highly likely Moses was well educated in the Egyptian education system. The Ancient Egyptians were renowned mathematicians, astronomers and engineers.
By today's standards, he was ignorant. There is nothing wrong with that, it is just that what we know today was not known then. They know a lot, just not enough.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I believe he was speaking metaphorically to bronze age sheep herder named Moses who had no concept of numbers beyond a large herd or of space and galaxies and stars.

A sheep herder would have no concept of big numbers or of stars? :freak:

What do you suppose he saw when he looked up at night?

Probably stars.

How many, do you suppose?

Probably more than he had sheep.

Unless it was one mighty big flock.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
A sheep herder would have no concept of big numbers or of stars? :freak:

What do you suppose he saw when he looked up at night?

Probably stars.

How many, do you suppose?

Probably more than he had sheep.

Unless it was one mighty big flock.
But he was ignorant of the mathematical concepts used to examine the stars. Numbers such as millions and billions were probably not even conceived at that time for they no use for them.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
They were familiar with grains of sand and grain itself for that matter.

I don't think you've fully thought this through.

These were the guys who built the pyramids after all.

By hand.

The Berean

By today's standards, he was ignorant. There is nothing wrong with that, it is just that what we know today was not known then. They know a lot, just not enough.

What does this have to do God creating in six days? Did it go like this?

God: "Moses is ignorant. I will tell Moses that I created everything in six days (even though I didn't) because he doesn't understand large numbers."

God: "Moses, I created everything in six days."

Moses: 'Wow, God that amazing!" (Moses writes down the Word of God. CleverDan )
God: "I'll wait until the really smart humans of the 19th century to discover the I didn't create everything in six days."

Arthur Brain

Sela. :thumb:

Ditto. Why on earth folk have such a hang up over needing it to be a literal account is just bizarre. People as far back as augustine saw allegory within the chapter. Ironically it's the strain of ardent blind fundamentalism which is the more recent phenomenon, and is pretty much the equivalent of leaving your brain at the door of doctrine....

:plain: