toldailytopic: Animal Rights. What rights (if any) should animals have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'd say animals deserve a relatively comfortable life and a humane death. Whether we kill and eat them or not is irrelevant.
And how do we determine what a "relatively comfortable life and a humane death" is?

As for the more intelligent animals, like primates or cetaceans, those who can be argued to be sapient, I'd feel comfortable to granting them certain rights. Orcas and sperm whales form distinct cultures and languages. Keeping a creature capable of having a culture and a language as a pet for our amusement in an aquatic park seems sorta questionable.
Do you believe we should prosecute a shark if he is guilty of killing a small killer whale?

So does performing horrible experiments on apes, which can be argued to be sapient and are PERFECTLY ABLE to communicate with us if they're taught a symbolic language.
Yet, I am assuming you only wish to stop humans from hurting apes and not other animals that might hurt an ape, correct?

Tico

As for the more intelligent animals, like primates or cetaceans, those who can be argued to be sapient, I'd feel comfortable to granting them certain rights.

So, who´s in charge of granting them rights? Where do those in charge get the right to grant animals rights?

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
So, who´s in charge of granting them rights? Where do those in charge get the right to grant animals rights?

Theres an idea!! Lets divert 6 billion of stimulus money and ask the President for an Animal Rights Czar!!! :Commie:

It does get subjective. One of those situations where you know it when you see it.

I saw it the first time when Peter fought that chicken for like 12 minutes, he hit that smelly chicken with a frying pan!

In some cases—the outright sadism of, say, dog fighting—the issue is a lot more black and white.

Like the time Stewie beat you black and blue??

:chuckle:

Nydhogg

I'm not a big proponent of animal rights.

Still, certain animals ARE sapient and there's no way around that.

If chimps are capable of symbolic communication with humans, are self-aware, and capable of using and making tools, it's obvious that they should be treated with at least a modicum of dignity more than a goldfish or a hamster.

I'm not speaking of prosecuting sharks, or of giving those animals full human rights. That would be asinine.

I'm speaking more along the lines of never torturing sapient animals, avoiding invasive testing on them, and generally leaving them free and alone instead of kept captive for show and entertainment if at all possible.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If chimps are capable of symbolic communication with humans, are self-aware, and capable of using and making tools, it's obvious that they should be treated with at least a modicum of dignity more than a goldfish or a hamster.
Not only that but chimpanzee's taste really "gamey".

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Animals are a gift from God to us. Animals provide both companionship and food.

How does companionship fit in with this?

Genesis 9

2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be on every beast of the earth, on every bird of the air, on all that move on the earth, and on all the fish of the sea. They are given into your hand. 3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs.

Do you think we domesticated animals in a way that God did not intend? Not that we are not allowed to do it, they are given into our hand. Because I know that you know we should not observe food laws.

And so that means when a farmer keeps a calf in a stall that is too small for him to sit or turn around to keep him tender, I don't care. He was bred for the purpose of being my meal. How is that against God's protocol of them being given into our hand?

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Genesis 9

2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be on every beast of the earth, on every bird of the air, on all that move on the earth, and on all the fish of the sea. They are given into your hand. 3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs.

Do you think we domesticated animals in a way that God did not intend? Not that we are not allowed to do it, they are given into our hand. Because I know that you know we should not observe food laws.

And so that means when a farmer keeps a calf in a stall that is too small for him to sit or turn around to keep him tender, I don't care. He was bred for the purpose of being my meal. How is that against God's protocol of them being given into our hand?

Proverbs 12:10: The righteous knows the life of his animal, but the mercies of the wicked are cruel.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Knowing the herding culture of the time, clearly this is to what he is speaking. Your sheep might run away if you beat him.

And how do we determine what a "relatively comfortable life and a humane death" is?

You never thought of just asking the monkey if that lipstick bothers him? So much for common sense.

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

Genesis 9

It's against the protocols of common decency and compassion. Unless you're a 'Trad' who thinks animals don't actually suffer or feel pain then it's pretty darn obvious that inflicting or causing suffering through intent or neglect is flat out morally and ethically wrong. If anyone needs a rulebook to explain that they're brainless morons. Breeding animals for consumption doesn't mean they're simply objects that can be treat like dirt, and thankfully we have agricultural laws that prosecute those found maltreating their livestock.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Breeding animals for consumption doesn't mean they're simply objects that can be treat like dirt, and thankfully we have agricultural laws that prosecute those found maltreating their livestock.

Is it right or wrong to breed animals for consumption?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'm not a big proponent of animal rights.

Still, certain animals ARE sapient and there's no way around that.

I'm not speaking of prosecuting sharks, or of giving those animals full human rights. That would be asinine.

I'm speaking more along the lines of never torturing sapient animals, avoiding invasive testing on them, and generally leaving them free and alone instead of kept captive for show and entertainment if at all possible.

I absolutely agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.