To all who hate the stars & bars because "it means slavery"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
st-petersberg-florida-demonstrators-support-segregation-woman-holds-CWCCXB.jpg

Alate_One

Still don't understand why you desecrate the fine black people who fought on the side of the south willingly.
Yes, the tiny minority of people you'd like to hold up to make the south's cause okay. How do you know any of them served willingly?

Though no one knows for sure, the number of slaves who fought and labored for the South was modest, estimated Stauffer. Blacks who shouldered arms for the Confederacy numbered more than 3,000 but fewer than 10,000, he said, among the hundreds of thousands of whites who served. Black laborers for the cause numbered from 20,000 to 50,000.

Those are not big numbers, said Stauffer. Black Confederate soldiers likely represented less than 1 percent of Southern black men of military age during that period, and less than 1 percent of Confederate soldiers. And their motivation for serving isn’t taken into account by the numbers, since some may have been forced into service, and others may have seen fighting as a way out of privation.

But even those small numbers of black soldiers carry immense symbolic meaning for neo-Confederates, who are pressing their case for the central idea that the South was a bastion of states’ rights and not a viper pit of slavery, even though slavery was central to its economy.

But unless readers think that black Confederates were truly enamored of the South’s cause, Stauffer related the case of John Parker, a slave forced to build Confederate barricades and later to join the crew of a cannon firing grapeshot at Union troops at the First Battle of Bull Run. All the while, recalled Parker, he worried about dying, prayed for a Union victory, and dreamed of escaping to the other side.

Source

Secession was a bad idea, based on slavery and more people in the north died to stop the southerners. Why would you want to honor a symbol of a war that resulted in the deaths of more Americans than any other wars combined?

casualties-by-war.jpg

csa-usa-totals.jpg

Quincy

And the people who lived through this, who saw this directed at them firsthand, are told that it doesn't represent or symbolize hate. At all.

Yea, even if a person isn't capable of empathizing with minority races, they should still be able to see that most of those people understand the flag to be a symbol of terrorism. It's just unethical to have it on public grounds, especially if it is raised above the U.S. flag. Minorities pay taxes the same as anyone.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Uh...what?

ISIS is barbarism, savagery, and zealotry run amok. They need to be wiped out.

What other kind of response were you actually expecting from people here?
:up:
Yep precisely. ISIS needs to be wiped out. They are a dark stain on humanity.

musterion

Yea, even if a person isn't capable of empathizing with minority races, they should still be able to see that most of those people understand the flag to be a symbol of terrorism. It's just unethical to have it on public grounds, especially if it is raised above the U.S. flag. Minorities pay taxes the same as anyone.

By that logic, so is the Stars and Stripes.

musterion

Precisely...

I beginning to wonder if all this flack about the Confederate flag is nothing more than a smokescreen, the real target being the US flag.

I won't be at all surprised. One does not lay a new foundation on top of another that he finds flawed. In order to "fundamentally transform" America, the entire foundation that has existed must be torn out. That would of necessity include Old Glory.

Or put into Orwell's words, "...that we should be rid of the last vestiges of Goldsteinism..." when Goldstein and all he was said to represent were complete fabrications by the Party to help it ferret out dissent and crush it.

The same tactic is at play here.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Precisely...

I beginning to wonder if all this flack about the Confederate flag is nothing more than a smokescreen, the real target being the US flag.

Keep dreaming up more reasons and ignoring the real reason.

The Confederate Flag is a symbol of racial hatred.

musterion

Precisely...

I'm also convinced this controversy has a dual purpose: what we've been discussing, as well as a distraction from the complete and total (figurative) sodomizing that conservative voters are receiving from congressional Republicans as we speak. It should now be clear beyond any doubt that we may be (or were) the GOP's voters but most of them do not consider us their constituents. There's little hope of saving the Republic when faced with a situation like this.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Only if you superimpose it.

Nope, it's a symbol of racial hatred by itself.

You're no different from the Klan in that regard

That's a pretty stupid statement. The Klan likes the flag, uses the flag, and wants the flag to fly at the Capital.

I hate the flag, and want it taken down.

do you realize that, lefty?

Like, Iv'e said, everything about the flag is associated with the left, and you're defending the flag, so that makes you the "lefty", not me.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yeah we know, the real reason Dylan Roof murdered those christians was because the Confederate flag told him to do it.

According to Roof's manifesto, his inspiration came from the Council of Conservative Citizens.

Here's a pic of members of the CCC:

lead_960.jpg

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Now that I know Tet is a leftist,

Nope, I'm a Conservative, who along with almost every Republican in office today, is calling for a flag that symbolizes racial hatred to be removed from government property.

he's where I've always said he'd be: permIgnore.

So long, Tet.

See ya, don't let your Confederate Flag hit you in the you know what.

Status
Not open for further replies.