Three Men Marry (each other) in Colombia

glassjester

Who's to say it's wrong when same sex isn't wrong? :chew:

Of course - that's what opponents of same-sex marriage have said all along. But its supporters adamantly denied the slippery slope.

Which is why it's especially strange that a same-sex marriage supporter is unwilling to say that same-sex marriage will never lead to polygamy.

He even said, "Why would I say something so stupid?"

Apparently it's "stupid" to say that same-sex marriage will not lead to polygamy.
I agree!

So I guess he's acknowledged the link!

MrDante

Of course - that's what opponents of same-sex marriage have said all along. But its supporters adamantly denied the slippery slope.

Which is why it's especially strange that a same-sex marriage supporter is unwilling to say that same-sex marriage will never lead to polygamy.

He even said, "Why would I say something so stupid?"

Apparently it's "stupid" to say that same-sex marriage will not lead to polygamy.
I agree!

So I guess he's acknowledged the link!

Apparently lying is not something you consider wrong

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I never said it. In fact, I think and thought and wrote it would probably be the next consideration. What I said was that it cannot and will not lead to acceptable pedophilia. And it won't.

"That slippery slope argument is nonsense," they said.
Yeah, that's true. It is nonsense. Polygamy, if it arrives here, won't be because of gay marriage any more than gay marriage was the result of a slipper slope caused by striking anti-miscegenation laws. There's no causal linkage, only the appearance of linkage because of the common topic.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sure there is. The re-definition of marriage from "one man, one woman," to "whoever loves each other," totally allows for polygamy.
No more true than suggesting what allowed for the consideration of gay marriage was redefinition of marriage from "one man of the same race to one woman of the same race" to include race mixing.

What actually happens is that a preclusion is challenged on its Constitutional face and it fails or passes muster. The rest is timing. Gays had other legal hurdles to fight before they got to a point where the larger question could be raised. If you wanted to cobble a slope it would be there.

So, ultimately, it doesn't take gay marriage to make polygamy possible. It only takes the ability to ask, "Why should X be barred from contracting?" and the absence of a rebuttal to it on Constitutional grounds.

glassjester

No more true than suggesting what allowed for the consideration of gay marriage was redefinition of marriage from "one man of the same race to one woman of the same race" to include race mixing.

What actually happens is that a preclusion is challenged on its Constitutional face and it fails or passes muster. The rest is timing. Gays had other legal hurdles to fight before they got to a point where the larger question could be raised. If you wanted to cobble a slope it would be there.

So, ultimately, it doesn't take gay marriage to make polygamy possible. It only takes the ability to ask, "Why should X be barred from contracting?" and the absence of a rebuttal to it on Constitutional grounds.

Why was marriage limited to one man and one woman before?