This sounds cool

drbrumley

COVENANT MARRIAGES ON THE RISE IN ARKANSAS -- More Arkansas couples entered covenant marriages in the first 10 months of 2005 than in the three previous years combined, according to new data released about the popularity of the agreements aimed at curbing the divorce rate. Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee credited the promotion of covenant marriages with the marked increase, according to the Associated Press.

Huckabee and his wife led a celebration at Little Rock’s Alltel Arena on Valentine’s Day last year, when 6,400 people watched them renew their vows and enter a covenant marriage.

Five years ago, the Arkansas state government gave citizens the option of covenant marriages, which require premarital counseling and can be ended only after counseling and only on grounds of adultery, criminal activity, physical or sexual abuse or a two-year separation.

The overall goal of covenant marriage is to lower the state’s divorce rate, which is among the highest in the nation.

“It puts some speed bumps on the divorce process,” Huckabee told AP. “Every marriage isn’t going to survive, but this at least doesn’t make it as easy to give up on marriage.”

By the end of October last year, AP reported, 1,123 couples had either begun marriages as covenant marriages or converted their already existent marriages to covenant marriages, compared to 768 total covenant marriages in Arkansas from 2002 to 2004.

Covenant marriages are not limited to the state of Arkansas. For more information, visit www.covenantmarriage.com.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Everybody who gets married at our church goes through counseling, but the part about the divorce is interesting. It seems like a good idea. :think:

drbrumley

BillyBob said:
Ah, so you understand what 'Hell on Earth' marriage can be.

:cheers:
Sure I do, which is why I have always maintained that the seperation is ok if need be. Which this Arkansas law addresses. What do you think of the law?

drbrumley

BillyBob said:
Ah, so you understand what 'Hell on Earth' marriage can be.

:cheers:
But I also know we reap what we sow and if your in a hell on earth marraige, then either you are not living up to your end of the bargain or she is not. One or the other. And more than likely, God is not the center of the marraige.

drbrumley

BillyBob said:
I don't think the government has the right to impose itself in any way concerning marriage.
Well, I agree there. But this is where it has come to. Surely you agree divorce is rampant in this nation. But someone has to fill the gap if churches do not step up to the plate.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
kmoney said:
People aren't forced into these marriages.

I don't even subscribe to the idea that I need a 'marriage license' or 'permission' from the government to be considered married.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
kmoney said:
People aren't forced into these marriages.
I think he is saying that the goverment should have no part of marriage at all. Is that right BB?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do wonder if there is anything in the Bible that would lend credibility to the state sanctioning of marriage? I, for example, have claimed that a state declaring two gay guys married doesn't make it so!

drbrumley

BillyBob said:
Yes.

Why?
Because the cost involved. Someone can steal a fortune if married to the "right" person. You heard the expression "married for money?" The children too. How many children's lives have been turned upside down because thier parents end up getting a divorce? More than I care to count.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
deardelmar said:
I do wonder if there is anything in the Bible that would lend credibility to the state sanctioning of marriage? I, for example, have claimed that a state declaring two gay guys married doesn't make it so!

Exactly!

I think gays want the government to sanction their 'marriages' because that would somehow lend credibility to homosexuality. I, on the other hand, do not seek the governments approval or permission for my marriage to be considered legitmate.

That is the difference between liberals [who rely on the government for everything] and Conservatives [who prefer to have as little governmental intrusion in their lives as possible].