"Therefore, Abortion Must Remain Legal"

gcthomas

Just like a human infant. Thanks for playing.

You don't understand why there is emotional cost. Hint: it's because of morals. Thanks for playing.

Biology fail. Thanks for playing.

That's why it's easy for you to decide which humans to kill, and it has nothing to do with innocents. Thanks for playing.

I can't stop you from believing what you do, but it is good to know which people will follow the next Hitler.

I am shocked that you think that a human infant is OF a human but NOT human. Are you suggesting we can morally kill infants? really? Unlike you, I believe that infants are human and deserve the full protection of the law. How can you misread what I said without deliberately misrepresenting what I wrote? English comprehension fail.

Emotions are not all related directly caused by morals. I can have an emotional response that would be immoral if played out, and moral behaviour that don't elicit emotions. Surely you could work that out for yourself? Philosophy fail.

Biology fail? You need to explain which bit of biology I got wrong. I am confident I am right on the biology. Science fail.

If you think that a lack of god in my life means I have no morals then your understanding is so limited that I must feel sorry for your restricted and limited life experience. Life fail.

quip

BANNED
Banned
And thus, you reject universal human rights, and reduce them to human rights granted by the government (or the strongest person at the moment, whichever the case may be).

Yet you'd no doubt support this same government in establishing laws restricting the reproductive liberties of women. A classic black-kettle/pot tale.
-------------------------------------------------

I'm not rejecting human rights on two counts.

1. I don't grant the unborn unimpeded equality of human rights because.....

2. ...no human-being (post or pre-born) has any right to another person's DNA, blood, organs, womb...etc. without explicit consent or due process.

This does not imply that I approve of (morally) or desire the act of every abortion, it simply means that I support the right to retain this very option for female American citizens.

gcthomas

Which is what i asking for too, since they made the claim the "fetus" feels no pain.

Evidence on how they would know they feel no pain.

No response yet.

No response? There has been endless responses on the question. We KNOW how people feel pain, we know the physiology and psychology of pain. That knowledge, along with a knowledge of an early foetus's nervous system (non-existent to incomplete) and psychology (none), leads us to a conclusion that an early foetus can feel no pain.

The question returns to you. Since there is physical mechanism for a foetus to feel pain, WHY DO YOU think that one can?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
No response? There has been endless responses on the question. We KNOW how people feel pain, we know the physiology and psychology of pain. That knowledge, along with a knowledge of an early foetus's nervous system (non-existent to incomplete) and psychology (none), leads us to a conclusion that an early foetus can feel no pain.

The question returns to you. Since there is physical mechanism for a foetus to feel pain, WHY DO YOU think that one can?

In other words, you do not know if they feel pain or not, you assume. They have a nervous system and brain pretty early on.

alwight

:liberals: No, I’m the pro-choice one here, therefore by default, I only need to satisfy myself about “personhood” and don't seek to compel others as you seem to.
Too ignorant to understand how this is relevant in matters of life and death... no surprise there.
I seem to be more concerned with the lives of extant persons rather than of potential ones than you are apparently. I also don’t require that others adhere to my thinking if they don’t want to, as you do.

You can of course try to convince me otherwise but you don’t get to impose your views on me or indeed a recently pregnant woman by use of bald assertions.
What's the point? You reject any notion that you might be incorrect as to when one becomes a person. So much so that you actually refuse to take a stand on when that point is actually reached, rather relying on the cop out of "nuance."
I’ve given you my reasoning based in actual evidence of the CNS but you seem to think that your assertions carry more weight for no apparent reason. Why should I change my thinking based on your beliefs and assertions?

No perhaps I can’t define a “person” to your satisfaction, or be clear on exactly when “personhood” begins, however I only need to conclude for myself, from the evidence, when a person clearly does not exist, just as you can too.
Not at all the issue; but I assume this is simply just more of your usual runaround as you have refused to actually just show what defines one as a person from a source outside your own opinion.
I’ve already given you my reasoning for a “person” based on a reasonably functioning CNS and that DNA is not the “person” factor that you seem to think it is, while you otoh have nothing but bald assertion with which you seem to expect civil law to be founded on.

If, as it seems, you want your views to be enforced generally by secular laws then it is plainly up to you to find better evidence and a more convincing argument than my one and the lack of a functioning CNS, not me.
That's not the point of this discussion. Wiz asked for you and your ilk to provide an argument as to why it should remain legal.

So, it is up to you to show why a functioning CNS is what defines one as a person and separates them from before they had a functioning CNS and were thus, according to you, not yet a person.
Why, when I have already done this many times? You simply won’t accept the physical evidence that a CNS is where the person exists and does not exist when it stops functioning. What evidence have you got that it is otherwise?
It’s a moral choice, and without evidence even either way then civil laws have no place imposing a particular morality on those who disagree.

Well, my albeit lay understanding is that the autonomic system (ANS) is one of the functions of the peripheral nervous system (PNS) which in turn is connected to the CNS. However I think it’s true to say that just without the “person” element of the CNS being present it will more often than not simply “stand alone” so to speak, requiring no actual conscious input from the “person”. Typically however it will be shut down or become damaged along with the CNS imo.
In your opinion? What kind of an argument is that?
I simply presented my understanding of the evidence and that my conclusions are based on it. I’ll await any evidence from you of why or how a “person” could exist outside of a functioning CNS.

Perhaps but not decided on by the prosecution obviously, but if they aimed too high then they would risk acquittal altogether, so they need be realistic and un-dogmatic about it and perhaps go for a lesser charge.
What do you think would lead them to lose on the charge of homicide?
The law tries hard to consider the relevant facts when passing appropriate judgment while your dogma doesn’t.

Then I can’t imagine why I would be getting involved at all :idunno:, do you think that I might simply enjoy killing people or indeed the unborn for some obscure reason?
Are you seriously too stupid to understand a hypothetical?
Red herring more like.

Unless I am somewhat mistaken you simply conclude that any abortion is murder and want that view imposed on others within secular law without exception perhaps? Imo the very rational impossibility of a “person” existing while there is a clear lack of any apparent physical means, is never considered within your thinking and dogma. You don’t want to make sometimes tough human choices, so you don’t, and then you don’t think that others should be allowed to choose either.
Is there a physical, living cell that if allowed to follow its programming with all the necessities will live and develop, eventually, into what you would consider to be a person?
A potential person is has some value perhaps but I see no reason not to consider the whole specific situation and let the woman choose at least until a “person” might reasonably exist in the foetus.

All know is what I personally might choose. Sometimes I too might well support an abortion where a “person” is likely to be present, depending on the particular circumstances. However any doctors who routinely have more interest in personal profit yes of course probably do exist, I would agree, but is also not really the point here.
You seemed to have missed the point; they all agree that it is a person, at every stage wherein an abortion might be performed. PP even put out a brochure wherein they admitted so much in print.
I’d need to know the specific details first whether I would agree with what they do in each case. I may not agree sometimes, but it is the woman’s choice in the end afaic.

So a functioning or otherwise CNS is not good enough evidence for you, while it remains pretty good and convincing evidence afaic.
However even if neither of us actually does have any evidence then what gives you the right to make others comply with your beliefs?
:doh:

If the existence of the living zygote prior to an extant CNS is good enough for me then why would an extant CNS not be? Or did you just word this ambiguously?
I have offered you my reasoning based on at least some evidence, if you don’t like it that’s fine but imo you shouldn’t seek to impose your morality on those who may disagree.

What exactly then makes “brand new” DNA any more “a” "person" or special over any other similar DNA, when many or none “persons” may be the result?
The fact that it is distinct from anyone else makes it a separate entity, regardless of its DNA, actually. It is simply that DNA unique from the mother's is a way to show this.

And even if its DNA code were the same as the mother's as gcthomas has suggested is possible it is still a distinct, separate entity.
As we’ve already discussed a unique DNA does not necessarily mean a unique person, a unique CNS seems to have that honour, and do you really think that most “persons” that have ever been have only existed for a few short hours and never get past the zygote stage? I don’t.

Are you actually thinking "soul" or maybe the supernatural, but would rather not say that kind of thing to a non-believer?
While I believe the spirit is present at that point I don't see the point of arguing that with someone who doesn't believe a spirit exists.
If you simply want to wave your faith at me then perhaps you could be rather more honest here and not even try to bring in physical facts at all since you will probably never accept any I nor anyone else could offer should it contradict your beliefs. Instead you would need to convince me and others of your God’s existence and that your God’s morality is true and absolute, good luck with that btw.

A unique original DNA is clearly not what then defines a “person” imo, but a unique functioning CNS rather seems to.
How so? You have yet to support this argument.
The same DNA does produce different "persons" (monozygotic twins).
But again you simply don’t want to see even the rather clear evidence from a previously functioning CNS that a person existed in it and that when damaged or worse that person is also damaged or worse similarly. It should indicate something to you LH about when a CNS is yet to develop, but apparently it doesn’t perhaps because you don’t want it to.

gcthomas

In other words, you do not know if they feel pain or not, you assume. They have a nervous system and brain pretty early on.
Not functioning ones. It is known, not unknown. The pain responses of organisms are well understood.

You are assuming a lot here, with no vidence or reason even offered for consideration. Just assertion that since no one knows, then assume day one for safety?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yet you'd no doubt support this same government in establishing laws restricting the reproductive liberties of women. A classic black-kettle/pot tale.
-------------------------------------------------
But the opposing view isn't a matter of which might makes right, but if might makes makes right or if right and wrong exist because of God.

I'll only continued spending time on your posts if you show improved ability to comprehend what is being said.

I'm not rejecting human rights on two counts.
Ok. Let's look at your reasons:

1. I don't grant the unborn unimpeded equality of human rights because.....
This isn't a reason.

2. ...no human-being (post or pre-born) has any right to another person's DNA, blood, organs, womb...etc. without explicit consent or due process.
This can only be a reason if you support universal human rights.

Figure out which one is true, and stick with it.

This does not imply that I approve of (morally) or desire the act of every abortion, it simply means that I support the right to retain this very option for female American citizens.
Ok. Which abortions are wrong? The ones where it isn't an option for females?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am shocked that you think that a human infant is OF a human but NOT human. Are you suggesting we can morally kill infants? really? Unlike you, I believe that infants are human and deserve the full protection of the law. How can you misread what I said without deliberately misrepresenting what I wrote? English comprehension fail.
LOL. Dude, you sure know how to double-down on your mistakes.

Emotions are not all related directly caused by morals. I can have an emotional response that would be immoral if played out, and moral behaviour that don't elicit emotions. Surely you could work that out for yourself? Philosophy fail.
You aren't even answering my quote.

Biology fail? You need to explain which bit of biology I got wrong. I am confident I am right on the biology. Science fail.
Yes. Biology fail. Start with Wiki! :darwinsm:

If you think that a lack of god in my life means I have no morals then your understanding is so limited that I must feel sorry for your restricted and limited life experience. Life fail.
Your sorrow for me makes me feel so much better. Thank you. Life is worth living again.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I seem to be more concerned with the lives of extant persons rather than of potential ones than you are apparently. I also don’t require that others adhere to my thinking if they don’t want to, as you do.
:blabla:

I’ve given you my reasoning based in actual evidence of the CNS but you seem to think that your assertions carry more weight for no apparent reason. Why should I change my thinking based on your beliefs and assertions?
No you haven't. At best you've argued for sticking with the current legal definitions, but have given no evidence these are correct.

I’ve already given you my reasoning for a “person” based on a reasonably functioning CNS and that DNA is not the “person” factor that you seem to think it is, while you otoh have nothing but bald assertion with which you seem to expect civil law to be founded on.
Your reasoning is faulty and unsupported.

Why, when I have already done this many times? You simply won’t accept the physical evidence that a CNS is where the person exists and does not exist when it stops functioning. What evidence have you got that it is otherwise?
You have given no evidence that a person is as you define one, and therefore only present with a functioning CNS; or that the CNS is where "the person" resides.

It’s a moral choice, and without evidence even either way then civil laws have no place imposing a particular morality on those who disagree.
With no evidence laws have no place erring on the side of caution?

Your brains are on display under a microscope, aren't they?

I simply presented my understanding of the evidence and that my conclusions are based on it.
What evidence?

I’ll await any evidence from you of why or how a “person” could exist outside of a functioning CNS.
Personhood is not based on self-awareness, it is based on existence and life. If there exists a living human organism there exists a person.

The law tries hard to consider the relevant facts when passing appropriate judgment while your dogma doesn’t.
The relevant fact is there is a living human being that doesn't deserve to be killed; in fact it deserves the opposite: a chance at life.

Red herring more like.
Tartar sauce for brains.

A potential person is has some value perhaps but I see no reason not to consider the whole specific situation and let the woman choose at least until a “person” might reasonably exist in the foetus.
So, kill 'em all? Because, hey, they're not people anyway...

Where have I heard similar arguments before?:think:

I’d need to know the specific details first whether I would agree with what they do in each case. I may not agree sometimes, but it is the woman’s choice in the end afaic.
Is it the rapist's choice to victimize a woman?

I have offered you my reasoning based on at least some evidence, if you don’t like it that’s fine but imo you shouldn’t seek to impose your morality on those who may disagree.
I shouldn't seek to stop what I deeply believe to be the murder of the most innocent among us?

As we’ve already discussed a unique DNA does not necessarily mean a unique person, a unique CNS seems to have that honour, and do you really think that most “persons” that have ever been have only existed for a few short hours and never get past the zygote stage? I don’t.
You haven't proven DNA unique from the mother's doesn't mean a unique person.

And so what if some, or many, don't survive through no fault of anyone else? Such is life. The issue at hand is the intentional taking of innocent life, i.e. murder.

If you simply want to wave your faith at me then perhaps you could be rather more honest here and not even try to bring in physical facts at all since you will probably never accept any I nor anyone else could offer should it contradict your beliefs. Instead you would need to convince me and others of your God’s existence and that your God’s morality is true and absolute, good luck with that btw.
Fool.

The same DNA does produce different "persons" (monozygotic twins).
We've been over this. I know for a fact I agreed.

But again you simply don’t want to see even the rather clear evidence from a previously functioning CNS that a person existed in it and that when damaged or worse that person is also damaged or worse similarly. It should indicate something to you LH about when a CNS is yet to develop, but apparently it doesn’t perhaps because you don’t want it to.
I never said a person wasn't damaged when their CNS is. A person is damaged when any part of their body is damaged.

The issue is whether or not the person ceases to exist when that happens, or rather if they are yet to exist before there is a CNS to damage.

I don't see a brain dead person as no longer being a person.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Not functioning ones. It is known, not unknown. The pain responses of organisms are well understood.

You are assuming a lot here, with no vidence or reason even offered for consideration. Just assertion that since no one knows, then assume day one for safety?

You are asserting they feel no pain, something you cannot measure, so its you who assume much.

Im thinking these could feel pain even if you claim they could not:

babyboyA-small.jpg

Spoiler
nancy.jpg.jpg

gcthomas

You are asserting they feel no pain, something you cannot measure, so its you who assume much.

Well, surprise, surprise. I am thinking these would be able to feel pain too.

I have been consistent with my statements. The images you show are of 32 week old foetuses, and if they were aborted for social reasons then that would be an abomination and also a criminal offense here.

Why would you want to claim that I have argued for such late term abortions when I have been VERY clear about which abortions I would regretfully approve of?

doloresistere

babyboyA-small.jpg

Spoiler
nancy.jpg.jpg

It is a simple matter to determine. All you have to do is see whether there are pain sensing nerve endings in fetuses. If they are present, the fetus certainly senses pain.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Well, surprise, surprise. I am thinking these would be able to feel pain too.

I have been consistent with my statements. The images you show are of 32 week old foetuses, and if they were aborted for social reasons then that would be an abomination and also a criminal offense here.

Why would you want to claim that I have argued for such late term abortions when I have been VERY clear about which abortions I would regretfully approve of?

A fetus is a fetus.

gcthomas

A fetus is a fetus.

So you're criticising me for accepting late term abortions when I have been clearly AGAINST late term abortions? That is a silly debating strategy.

:think:

It would make for a much more interesting argument if you criticised me for something we disagree on.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
So you're criticising me for accepting late term abortions when I have been clearly AGAINST late term abortions? That is a silly debating strategy.

:think:

It would make for a much more interesting argument if you criticised me for something we disagree on.

You said they can have a nervous system and brain yet feel no pain.

We both know there is no way you can know that for a fact.

gcthomas

You said they can have a nervous system and brain yet feel no pain.

We both know there is no way you can know that for a fact.

No, that's not true. I have repeatedly said that up to about 18-22 weeks there is not physiologically active system for mediating pain and suffering, but after that date it is not so clear, with the conclusion that I support abortions UP TO 18-22 weeks.

You showed a 32 week aborted foetus, so it doesn't relate to my suggestions, AT ALL.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
No, that's not true. I have repeatedly said that up to about 18-22 weeks there is not physiologically active system for mediating pain and suffering, but after that date it is not so clear, with the conclusion that I support abortions UP TO 18-22 weeks.

You showed a 32 week aborted foetus, so it doesn't relate to my suggestions, AT ALL.

You cannot prove your claim before 22 weeks either, you are only guessing. If a nervous system is present and a brain, then yes, they can feel pain, even if you dont want to admit it.

A fetus is a fetus, at 1 week all the way up to birth. A fetus is a baby. Killing it is murder.

gcthomas

You cannot prove your claim before 22 weeks either, you are only guessing. If a nervous system is present and a brain, then yes, they can feel pain, even if you dont want to admit it.

A fetus is a fetus, at 1 week all the way up to birth. A fetus is a baby. Killing it is murder.

I am not trying to change your opinion, but only to have you understand why you need to try to give a reasoned position in addition to an impassioned one. Most people don't agree with you, and they do not share your religious perspective, so to gain a change in the law (which I'm sure you'd like to see) reasons will be necessary in addition to the absolute certainty you have.

Our Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists published a report called "Fetal Awareness - Review of Research and Recommendations for Practice", here.

A quote from the summary:

In reviewing the neuroanatomical and physiological evidence in the fetus, it was apparent that connections from the periphery to the cortex are not intact before 24 weeks of gestation and, as most neuroscientists believe that the cortex is necessary for pain perception, it can be concluded that the fetus cannot experience pain in any sense prior to this gestation. After 24 weeks there is continuing development and elaboration of intracortical networks such that noxious stimuli in newborn preterm infants produce cortical responses. Such connections to the cortex are necessary for pain experience but not sufficient, as experience of external stimuli requires consciousness. Furthermore, there is increasing evidence that the fetus never experiences a state of true wakefulness in utero and is kept, by the presence of its chemical environment, in a continuous sleep-like unconsciousness or sedation. This state can suppress higher cortical activation in the presence of intrusive external stimuli. This observation highlights the important differences between fetal and neonatal life and the difficulties of extrapolating from observations made in newborn preterm infants to the fetus.

You don't agree with their findings, but if I had to choose between an evangelical Christian or a research clinician body, I know who I'll trust to make statements of biology. If you want to persuade me otherwise, just asserting your position will get you nowhere. Except that I'll know where you stand on the issue.

If you really want to change opinions then, please, read some of the report and think about the issues.

Holding the position you do is fine, of course, but you will be powerless to change anything unless you pay attention to what the biologists say.

Last edited: