The Structure of Scientific Revolutions

Vision in Verse

I have more links to more "surprising" observations that also don't fit current theory.

Their problem is coming up with a new "naturalistic" theory that will fit all the "wild" observations beginning to flood in.
What do you mean "naturalistic?"

baloney

BANNED
Banned
Get it through your head, Bob. Species changing, the tree of life and the age of the earth are not theories. They are observable facts.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Get it through your head, Bob. Species changing, the tree of life and the age of the earth are not theories. They are observable facts.

Species changing - most creation scientists agree that lifeforms change over time.

The tree of life - not observable.

Age of the Earth - not observable.

baloney

BANNED
Banned
The age of earth observable by a number of methods especially decay of radioisotopes.

The tree of life observable by statistical analysis of dna. Math doesn't lie. Your immature attitude towrds the modern world makes other Christians look stupid.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The age of earth observable by a number of methods especially decay of radioisotopes.

The age of the Earth is not "observable" via radioisotopes.

The tree of life observable by statistical analysis of dna. Math doesn't lie.

Math doesn't lie, but it frequently does not reflect the real world.

Your immature attitude towrds the modern world makes other Christians look stupid.

Whatever.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
At the higher level of evolutionary transition between basic morphological designs, gradualism has always been in trouble, though it remains the "official" position of most Western evolutionists. Smooth intermediates between Bauplane are almost impossible to construct, even in thought experiments; there is certainly no evidence for them in the fossil record (curious mosaics like Archaeopteryx do not count). Even so convinced a gradualist as G. G. Simpson (1944) invoked quantum evolution and inadaptive phases to explain these transitions. (Gould, Stephen J. [Professor of Zoology and Geology, Harvard University, USA] & Eldredge, Niles [Chairman and Curator of Invertebrates, American Museum of Natural History], Punctuated equilibria: the tempo and mode of evolution reconsidered, Paleobiology, Vol. 3, 1977, pp.115-147, p.147).

Higher level transitions sudden and discontinuous

In spite of these examples, it remains true, as every paleontologist knows, that most new species, genera, and families and that nearly all new categories above the level of families appear in the record suddenly and are not led up to by known, gradual, completely continuous transitional sequences. (Simpson, George Gaylord [late Professor of Vertebrate Paleontology, Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University], "The Major Features of Evolution," [1953], Columbia University Press: New York, 1955, Second Printing, p.360).

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
This one, presented by bob is, I think, the result of ignorance, not deviousness...

Smooth intermediates between Bauplane are almost impossible to construct, even in thought experiments; there is certainly no evidence for them in the fossil record (curious mosaics like Archaeopteryx do not count). Even so convinced a gradualist as G. G. Simpson (1944) invoked quantum evolution and inadaptive phases to explain these transitions.

"Smooth intermediates between Bauplane" refers to the idea that we should see a smooth and gradual transition of all characteristics in transitionals. In other words, everything changes gradually at the same time. What we see is something quite different, "mosaics" like Archaeopteryx, which show some things evolving before others. So Archaeopteryx has the skull of a dinosaur but complete flight feathers. (there is a Proarchaeopteryix with symmetrical, non-flight feathers, but it is clearly a dinosaur)

It does not in any way contradict Gould's assertion that there are abundant transitionals. It just means that they didn't turn out the way some people expected them to be.

The second quote is now fifty-two years old, and we now have the transitionals between birds and dinosaurs, ungulates and whales, fish and tetrapods, and a great many more. Turns out there are a great many more fossils to be found than Simpson knew. Important new ones turn up monthly.

Gould's observation that transitionals are abundant is confirmed again and again, as the search goes on.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Barb seems to think that one can just "blow off" what famous evolutionists have to say and instead listen to someone who is not a famous evolutionist and has not spent a career in the field in question.

How humble !

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Nomally bob simply snips out his "quotes" to change what they mean. (the faked Gould quote for example)

Other times, because he doesn't understand science, he just didn't understand what "Bauplane" means. I recall reading an article by Gould on his irritation that creationists confused that and "mosaic." I'll see if I can find it for you.

There's a lesson here, bob. You probably should stick to facts, rather than doctored quotes. At least there, you can understand what they are.

Since we proposed punctuated equilibria to explain trends, it is infuriating to be quoted again and again by creationists -- whether through design or stupidity, I do not know -- as admitting that the fossil record includes no transitional forms. Transitional forms are generally lacking at the species level, but they are abundant between larger groups.
- Gould, Stephen Jay 1983. "Evolution as Fact and Theory" in Hens Teeth and Horse's Toes: Further Reflections in Natural History. New York: W. W. Norton & Co., p. 258-260.

In his essay "The Tell-tale Wishbone" Gould specifically states that Archaeopteryx is a transitional.

I'll say it one more time:
Bob, surely you must see how other people perceive your behavior in this matter. You have consistently misrepresented what scientists say about transitionals, even after being shown what they actually said. At some point, we can no longer put this off to ignorance, but must conclude you are intentionally doing so.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nomally bob simply snips out his "quotes" to change what they mean. (the faked Gould quote for example)

If you can prove that I erred please prove it. Calling it "faked" implies I deliberately lied. Not very Christian of you.

Other times, because he doesn't understand science, he just didn't understand what "Bauplane" means. I recall reading an article by Gould on his irritation that creationists confused that and "mosaic." I'll see if I can find it for you.

There's a lesson here, bob. You probably should stick to facts, rather than doctored quotes. At least there, you can understand what they are.

Again you accuse me of deceit. Shame on you.

Since we proposed punctuated equilibria to explain trends, it is infuriating to be quoted again and again by creationists -- whether through design or stupidity, I do not know -- as admitting that the fossil record includes no transitional forms. Transitional forms are generally lacking at the species level, but they are abundant between larger groups.

He does not define either "abundant" or "larger groups".

In his essay "The Tell-tale Wishbone" Gould specifically states that Archaeopteryx is a transitional.

Others like Simpson call it a "mosaic". Didn't you just post that?

"Smooth intermediates between Bauplane are almost impossible to construct, even in thought experiments; there is certainly no evidence for them in the fossil record (curious mosaics like Archaeopteryx do not count). Even so convinced a gradualist as G. G. Simpson (1944) invoked quantum evolution and inadaptive phases to explain these transitions."

Bob, surely you must see how other people perceive your behavior in this matter. You have consistently misrepresented what scientists say about transitionals, even after being shown what they actually said. At some point, we can no longer put this off to ignorance, but must conclude you are intentionally doing so.

Conclude what you will. I stand on what I say.

Others can judge your behavior by what you say also.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
If you can prove that I erred please prove it. Calling it "faked" implies I deliberately lied.

Or, as I suggested, you were gulled by someone dishonest. At any rate, everyone saw that you blatantly misrepresented Gould who said exactly the opposite of what you claimed he did.

Not very Christian of you.

I pointed out the misrepresentation. It's true. Would you like me to post it again, bob?

Barbarian observes:

Again you accuse me of deceit.

I suggested you simply didn't know what you were talking about. Everyone can see that, bob.

Gould writes:

He does not define either "abundant" or "larger groups".

He means there are sufficiently many of them. That's what "abundant" means, bob.

a·bun·dant [uh-buhn-duhnt] Pronunciation Key
–adjective 1. present in great quantity; more than adequate; oversufficient: an abundant supply of water.

And obviously, he defines "larger groups" as those above species level. Why deny what's obviously there, bob?

Barbarian observes:

Others like Simpson call it a "mosaic". Didn't you just post that?

Gould points out that almost all transitionals are mosaics. As I said before, one problem is you don't understand what you're talking about, and this leads you into constant embarassments.

"Smooth intermediates between Bauplane are almost impossible to construct, even in thought experiments; there is certainly no evidence for them in the fossil record (curious mosaics like Archaeopteryx do not count). Even so convinced a gradualist as G. G. Simpson (1944) invoked quantum evolution and inadaptive phases to explain these transitions."

Notice that here, Gould calls mosaics "transitions." Right in front of you, and yet you continue to misrepresent what he said.

Barbarian observes:

(denial by bob)

Pretty much all you have left.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Or, as I suggested, you were gulled by someone dishonest. At any rate, everyone saw that you blatantly misrepresented Gould who said exactly the opposite of what you claimed he did.

Again you misrepresent. Have you no shame?

I pointed out the misrepresentation. It's true. Would you like me to post it again, bob?

Go ahead. Gould said what I quoted him as saying what he did. If he said something else too that's not my problem.

Barbarian observes:

That has little to do with what I think and understand.

I don't "doctor" quotes. Do have anything else but misrepresentations?

I suggested you simply didn't know what you were talking about. Everyone can see that, bob.

Perhaps everyone can see you have failed to make your case and thus resort
to false charges.

Gould writes:

He means there are sufficiently many of them. That's what "abundant" means, bob.

–adjective 1. present in great quantity; more than adequate; oversufficient: an abundant supply of water.

And obviously, he defines "larger groups" as those above species level. Why deny what's obviously there, bob?

They are above the species level I agree. How far above is a matter of opinion.

Barbarian observes:
Gould points out that almost all transitionals are mosaics.

If that is the "official" definition of a mosaic then I would say evolutionists are playing a clever word game to convince people that their ideas are true.

As I said before, one problem is you don't understand what you're talking about, and this leads you into constant embarassments.

Notice that here, Gould calls mosaics "transitions." Right in front of you, and yet you continue to misrepresent what he said.

Your quote also said, "curious mosaics like Archaeopteryx do not count".

Barbarian observes:

And I will say again that your kind of evolutionist must have little to support your idea if you spend so much time accusing an honest person like myself of deceit and ignorance. Such tactics might work with less seasoned people, but I have learned over the years to simply speak the truth and lets the chips fall where they may. I know I am winning the argument when people have to resort to intimidation tactics.

But I know from experience that when I am right I will eventually overcome, if I stick to my guns. And I always do.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:

Again you misrepresent.

C'mon bob. Everyone saw it. You claimed that Gould said that transitionals between major groups didn't exist. That was a complete fabrication. He wrote that such transitionals were abundant.

Barbarian observes:

Go ahead. Gould said what I quoted him as saying what he did. If he said something else too that's not my problem.

Bob says:
It was called a "tradesecret" when Gould and Eldridge revealed the fact of the rarity of transitional fossils in the fossil record.

It's one of the most commonly used scams by creationists. Gould of course, says that transitions between major groups are abundant.

Bob says:
3) the lack of transitional forms between the major groups.

I think you already know that's false. At least, you tuck tail and run every time I challenge you to name one set that lacks transitionals.

Barbarian observes:

That has little to do with what I think and understand.

Little in reality seems to have much to do with what you think. Gould is kind and suggests that it might be stupidity rather than deviousness.

Barbarian observes:

I don't "doctor" quotes. Do have anything else but misrepresentations?

Barbarian observes:

Again you accuse me of deceit. Shame on you.

Barbarian observes:

Perhaps everyone can see you have failed to make your case and thus resort to false charges.

I took the liberty of restoring the context you edited out. As you can see, I suggested that you didn't know what you were talking about. Tell the truth, and this won't happen again.

Gould writes:

They are above the species level I agree. How far above is a matter of opinion.

Sounds like a testable claim. You tell me how far above, and we'll take a look.

Barbarian observes:
In his essay "The Tell-tale Wishbone" Gould specifically states that Archaeopteryx is a transitional. Gould points out that almost all transitionals are mosaics.

If that is the "official" definition of a mosaic then I would say evolutionists are playing a clever word game to convince people that their ideas are true.

Nope. You just got gulled by the guys who sold you those doctored quotes. A transitional is an organism which has apomorphies of two different groups. In other words, a dinosaur with feathers, or a fish with legs. A mosaic is a transitional, in which some features are advanced, and others are not.

As Gould pointed out, almost all transitionals are mosaics.

Barbarian observes:
As I said before, one problem is you don't understand what you're talking about, and this leads you into constant embarassments.

Your quote also said, "curious mosaics like Archaeopteryx do not count".

They do not count as "smooth intermediates between Bauplane." They count, as your own quote indicates, as transitionals. You've been suckered by whoever's been feeding you those quotes, bob.

Barbarian observes:

And I will say again that your kind of evolutionist must have little to support your idea if you spend so much time accusing an honest person like myself of deceit and ignorance.

See above. You accused me of calling you decietful, when I suggested you didn't know what you were talking about. You told us that Gould denied transitions between major taxa when in fact, Gould wrote that such transitions were abundant.

You confused "mosaic" and "transitional" as mutually exclusive, when in fact your own quote says mosaics are transitionals.

You are either very deceptive, or very ignorant, or both.

Such tactics might work with less seasoned people, but I have learned over the years to simply speak the truth and lets the chips fall where they may.

As you see, you didn't speak the truth. Whether you intended to deceive or not, I can't say.

I know I am winning the argument when people have to resort to intimidation tactics.

Your ad hom won't help you, bob. You might attack me, but even if I was a terrible person, your argument fell apart, when your doctored quotes were exposed.

Jukia

The discovery of such a complex and mature structure so early in the history of the Universe is highly surprising. Indeed, until recently it would even have been deemed impossible.

Wow. but think bob b, once upon a time the fact that the earth revolved around the sun was "highly surprising" and thought "impossible".
Nice try.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wow. but think bob b, once upon a time the fact that the earth revolved around the sun was "highly surprising" and thought "impossible".
Nice try.

Yes, but the fact that evolutionists must now hypothesize that complex systems arose prior to the Cambrian Explosion is what was thought surprising, because it now means that the most significant features of the evolutionary hypothesis, the DNA/RNA/protein interlocked system, hoxdomains and sexual reproduction are no longer able to be supported by "just so" stories based on fossils, because these key features now have to be assumed to have arisen prior to the vast majority of the fossil record.

It will still take many years for most evolutionists to throw in the towel, because they will not be able to find an alternative "naturalistic" concept, and that is said to be the final stage prior to the abandonment of one paradigm for another.

Further research in microbiology will undoubtedly make their situation even worse as it has in the past few decades.

As we have already seen, the story in Genesis does not qualify as a scientific paradigm, because it does not permit scientific research into how it happened.

So the true story of the origin of first life must be rejected because it is not "scientific".

Pity.

SUTG

Further research in microbiology will undoubtedly make their situation even worse as it has in the past few decades.

It is amazing how often you declare the results of future research. It is almost as if you don't have to do the research at all! Just tell it like it is!

Jukia

Undoubtedly. Thanks for the advance warning. I'd be concerned if you really understood half of what you read to support statements such as this.