The Scourge of White Wealth and Power

rainee

Wow. PureX just when I think it's ok to come back to TOL, you post something as provoking and unfair as this. :dizzy:

And you make some good points in your OP to make matters worse, like is a bias a bias if it is correct? Well I think the answer to that deserves thought and and consideration. I hope some one will have a long enough attention span to answer the question regarding this.

The first line pretty much sounded stupid to me, and I am aware there are problems!
"The pathology of the rich white family is the most dangerous pathology in America." What kind of claim is this?

Did the writer do any research? Were the ones who caused Carnegie Hall or Rockefeller Center always rich or did they climb to the top? And once there at the top did they become philanthropists because they were selfish? I have wondered if they felt guilty.
But Henry Ford wanted every one to have a car and did what he could to make it affordable.

Perhaps the writer meant modern rich people of today?
But Bill Gates may object to that...

Or perhaps he meant the rich people of Mexico, since that is a part of North America?
The writer quoted three men from the U of California who did a study supposedly on this and they should know a lot about the abuses and lack of regard for human life of the government and the rich Hispanics in Mexico.
Our own President intimated they were so greedy and immoral they made drugs just to sell to us and they used and killed any who got in their way to do it..

The men from U of C definitely did not study the poor black community of Ferguson, where the mass numbers were destroying their community and the minority were trying to stop them - like the young black woman or girl who put out the arson caused fire in a grocery store with a jug of milk. She broke my heart. Still makes me want to cry.

No the majority there were not having empathy, were they?

This writer said he opened a church so I guess he is a Christian? If he hadn't been so lop sided and ignorant sounding I might have told him I do want some things made right. I do know there are problems and that they are real.

But when he or ANYONE starts sputtering stupidity I just think they are part of the problem.

So the write just sounds like Azealia Banks and her comments about what she hates about America:

I hate everything about this country. Like, I hate fat white Americans. All the people who are crunched into the middle of America, the real fat and meat of America, are these racist conservative white people who live on their farms. Those little teenage girls who work at Kmart and have a racist grandma—that’s really America.
Sorry! You must look up site yourselves. yikes

Who can tell her she lives in the only country with a black president where she can open her big mouth and complain??

Does she even know she can't live in any other countries where there are black leaders and not be subject to abuse, torture and possible malnutrition? Well, if she talked like this in any of those countries she be beaten, locked up or maybe killed.

She, being an utterly stupid woman, should stay in White People Countries. Or maybe an Asian one? I don't know. But It's either England or the United States for her, unlucky us. And she doesn't even know it.

So the bias you say you saw? Was it correct? Or imbalanced hooey??

Last edited:

bybee

I stumbled on this essay today, and thought it was interesting.

It was interesting because on the one hand, it is clearly a biased assessment of "rich white families". And yet on the other hand, much of the judgment being leveled, here, is right 'on the money', so to speak. So it brings up an odd question: is bias really biased when it happens to be accurate, too?

Anyway, I know most of you won't read past a sentence or two because you have the attention span of gnats. And many of you won't read it because you don't want to know about anything that challenges your own bias. But for the two or three TOL members that actually will read this, I think you'll find it interesting.

Here's the opening paragraph:

I was not born into a rich white family so do not feel qualified to judge. I have been very poor. So I may judge that status.
Today I am comfortable. That could change.

bybee

No, no. Quite right. Maybe people aren't angry enough. Maybe it'll take another burst bubble or yet another meltdown. My fear is that the public will very likely blame the wrong people--or will be told to blame the wrong people.

Sheep may safely graze... only when the Shepherd is on duty 24/7.
Sheep, mostly, like to graze.
A Good Shepherd is on duty 24/7 whether he likes it or not.
I Am that I Am He stated.
And we are, each of us, what we are... mostly sheep.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I stumbled on this essay today, and thought it was interesting.

It was interesting because on the one hand, it is clearly a biased assessment of "rich white families". And yet on the other hand, much of the judgment being leveled, here, is right 'on the money',

:

Don't you tire of being a socially programmed stooge?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I was not born into a rich white family so do not feel qualified to judge. I have been very poor. So I may judge that status.
Today I am comfortable. That could change.

I wasn't born into Scientology but I'm comfortable judging the entire "church" a few cages short of a full puppy farm.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
:plain: Of course they are...In case you haven't noticed Anglo Saxons and various other Western European tribes conquered the whole stinkin' world. This being the case those in the highest power levels are going to be as well. The fact that they are rich and abusive however is not a result of them being white. When other ethnic groups in different parts of the world have held the reigns at different points in history then the result was the same. In this case whitey had done grabbed the whole shebang by about a century ago.
What was cast in place thereafter with the fall of the Royal Families and the rise of the oligarchs has formulated the death of billions of people of color as well as white people.
On Christmas Day, 1066, Edward I (Longshanks) Plantagenet was crowned king of England.

He set about reforming England, building mighty castles, putting his Norman buddies in positions of power and oppressing the Saxons. This didn't sit well with the English. There were rebellions, like the one led by Waltheof, earl of Huntingdon, in 1075. Unlike many versions of the legend, Parke Godwin's Robin Hood was not the earl. In fact, he helped William stop this rebellion. Hereward the Wake, a legendary but also historical hero, also caused trouble for the Normans. Stories of Hereward may have inspired aspects of the Robin Hood legend.

Because whatever ills the "white man" has caused are not germane to the here and now.
The here and now is the oligarchy itself which really doesn't give a rats behind about color but only in maintaining their power base. You wanna formulate an organized revolt against this concept then fine. Hell, I'll even help you set up the :execute:
The cavilers vs the puritans, until they became cavilers in business suits.

....But in the minds of the greater proletariat, so is good old Ol'fay Fred Miller in his $300K house with his wife and two point five children. You may mean the oligarchs, but Fred and his Family are going to be swept up in this too...Family dog, Prius, Suzie's piano recital and all.

:carryon:
The oligarchs say, We do not exist, get Fred!":rolleyes:

PureX

Yeah, but…
The designation of whiteness in this instance really only applies to this instance. In America, as in most of the world at this time, it is white people who have gained control of the wealth and power. And so it is these wealthy, powerful white people who are abusing their wealth and power to maintain it, and to gain even more, at the expense of everyone else.

The comments in the essay aren't really racist except to point out that it is white people, here, and now, that are doing the damage. Nothing in the essay implies that it's BECAUSE they are white. And nothing in the essay implies that the wealthy and powerful are ALWAYS going to be, or have to be white. But right now, these users and abusers of the societal trust ARE white. And so saying that they're white is not racism.

Last edited:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
The designation of whiteness in this instance really only applies to this instance. In America, as in most of the world at this time, is is white people who have gained control of the wealth and power. And so it is these wealthy, powerful white people who are abusing their wealth and power to maintain it, and to gain even more, at the expense of everyone else.

The comments in the essay aren't really racist except to point out that it is white people, here, and now, that are doing the damage. Nothing in the essay implies that it's BECAUSE they are white. And nothing in the essay implies that the wealthy and powerful are ALWAYS going to be, or have to be white. But right now, these users and abusers of the societal trust ARE white. And so saying that they're white is not racism.

:yawn: Yeah....You keep babbbling about the intent.

Go ahead, As long as you are able to own the outcome.

PureX

:yawn: Yeah....You keep babbbling about the intent.

Go ahead, As long as you are able to own the outcome.
The outcome is that he's mostly telling the truth, whether he's 'racist' or not. What matters more, the ugly and dangerous truth of the essay, or the fact that it makes rich white people look bad?

The Berean

Well, at the very least I am going to acknowledge the problem, and the threat it is posing to our nation, rather than blaming the victims.
The problem has been acknowledged a long time ago. You're a little late to the party.

I'm also going to try and bring this problem to the attention of those who have been making a practice of ignoring it. (You call that "ranting", as though it's a bad thing. Why?)
Why would they or anyone else listen to YOU?

And I'm going to keep on doing this in spite of the fact that it annoys you, or whomever.
It doesn't annoy me one bit. It's a bit comical actually.

I'm going to vote for and support any political candidate I see who has the courage to speak out against the sickening influence of these rich white families on our political process, our economic process, and on the well-being of millions of people, and I will continue to vote against any politician who does not.
So you are going to vote for a politician, white most likely, who got into the position to run for office from the very same rich white elites? Really?

I avoid spending money at places like Walmart (owned by a rich white family that exemplifies everything negative that essay revealed), though it's getting more and more difficult to do when so many commercial businesses are now owned and/or controlled by them.
Ok, that is good thing. I never shop at Walmart either. :up:

I do not wish to becomes wealthy and powerful, I don't seek it, and I don't support it or defend it here on TOL, which is more than most TOLers can say of themselves.
So know you know what other people at are really like in real life? You really think you are better than these other people at TOL?

And I'm still wondering why you find this all so annoying.
I am not annoyed.

Why you auto-defend the rich so quickly, without thinking. You try to defend them by claiming that they are inevitable; that they're always around, making everyone else's life difficult, exploiting everyone else, and that they always will be.
You are a LIAR. I challenge you to show in this thread where I defended the "rich". Why do you continue to lie?

So what? We should just accept it? I should stop "ranting" about it? Does inevitability somehow make it OK? Does your assertion of inevitability mean we shouldn't waste our time combatting it?
You are the quintessential Internet keyboard warrior. Instead of just ranting about why don't you try to do something about it? You NEVER talked about possible solutions. EVER. Why is that?

I don't see what your comments about the inevitability of the sickness of wealth and power do for anyone, except give us an excuse to do nothing about it. To accept it. To ignore it. That's why I asked you why you were defending it.
The world is full of sin. Sinful people will always abuse and take advantage of other people. The is the fallen world we live in. We will never have a world of peace. We can work to make out local communities a better place. Do you even do that, PureX? Have you ever feed one homeless person? Teach a child how to read? Clean a local park?

But I don't think you even know why. I think you were auto-defending it. Were you? Or do you want to be one of them, and just don't want to admit it to yourself?
Again you are a LIAR. I really think you have a screw loose somewhere. You are nothing more than a Internet tough guy that doesn't have the courage to actually engage in the world and try to make the world a better place.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
The outcome is that he's mostly telling the truth, whether he's 'racist' or not. What matters more, the ugly and dangerous truth of the essay, or the fact that it makes rich white people look bad?

You'll find out I'm sure, because chances are you will be standing in the same line as OP's author.....Wondering what the hell went wrong.

:carryon:

rainee

I can't believe it, this kind of thinking is about exactly what Charlie Manson and his family wanted...they tried to start a race war so they could come out after the carnage started and take over or at least do as they pleased. Are we going to give in to this kind of thinking? It is probably all from the evil one and if the blacks have been listening to the loser jerks like that writer PureX quoted then they really are stupid. They fight they die, period.
Surely chaos only serves some evil sneaky ones - for a little time - maybe. But so what?

rainee

Who cares. Washington and Wall Street would be a start.

Yeah, like they're holding us down. We stopped being an industrial nation, we stopped being a productive nation in many ways - and we are a consumer and a consumer only nation for the most part now, period.
Granite I think you are just playing devil's advocate - but I don't think you have thought about whether this might really be of a devil's starting.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yeah, like they're holding us down.

You're honestly suggesting robber barons and their schills are doing us a favor? They sold us out and robbed us blind.

:execute:

quip

BANNED
Banned
Why are you working so hard at excusing the truth within these generalizations?

Because conservatives have a pathalogical need to worship a hierarchical system (hence their fervent desire for God's approbation). White, power and money sit atop (by design) such a system...thus, in effect to the self-served conservative mindset: white powerful rich people = :bow: