The Righteousness Which is of God

Jerry Shugart

Here Paul speaks of a "righteousness which is of God" which comes to a person by his "faith":

"And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faithfulness of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith" (Phil.3:9).​

That is the same thing Paul said here when he writes of the grace of God:

"But now the righteousness of God without law is made known, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by the faithfulness of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus"
(Ro.3:21-24).​

The believer's righteousness is not based on his own works of law but instead he receives the righteousness which is of God.

Here Paul speaks of some who were trying to establish their own righteousness:

"For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of law for righteousness to every one that believeth" (Ro.10:2-4).​

What we must realize is the fact that when we try to establish our own righteousness it always comes up short. That is why our own righteousness is described this way:

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away"
(Isa.64:6).​

Last edited:

Robert Pate

Banned
Good article Jerry. The Christians righteousness is in heaven at the right hand of God. He doesn't posses it yet. It is to his account. We are called to live our lives before God as sinners, saved sinners. This is why Paul referred to himself as... "The Chief of sinners" 1 Timothy 1:15. As long as we are in these Adamic bodies we are sinners.

beloved57

Here Paul speaks of a "righteousness which is of God" which comes to a person by his "faith":

"And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faithfulness of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith" (Phil.3:9).​

That is the same thing Paul said here when he writes of the grace of God:

"But now the righteousness of God without law is made known, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by the faithfulness of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus"
(Ro.3:21-24).​

The believer's righteousness is not based on his own works of law but instead he receives the righteousness which is of God.

Here Paul speaks of some who were trying to establish their own righteousness:

"For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of law for righteousness to every one that believeth" (Ro.10:2-4).​

What we must realize is the fact that when we try to establish our own righteousness it always comes up short. That is why our own righteousness is described this way:

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away"
(Isa.64:6).​

Those Christ lived and died for are made righteous by His obedience alone Rom 5:19

Jerry Shugart

Those Christ lived and died for are made righteous by His obedience alone Rom 5:19

Let us look at these two verses:

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;Who gave himself a ransom for (hyper) all, to be testified in due time" (1 Tim.2:6).​

"Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for (anti) many" (Mt.20:28).​

In the first verse it says that He gave His life as a ransom for "all." Then in the second verse it says that He gave His life as a ransom for "many," but not all.

How can this be explained? The key to understanding the difference is understanding the meaning of the Greek words translated "for" in both verses.

In the first verse the Greek word translated "for" is hyper, and one of the meanings of that word is "on behalf of" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon). The Lord Jesus died on "behalf" of ALL MEN.

In the second verse the Greek word anti is translated as "for," and that word means "in place of" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon). So the Lord gave His life a ransom in place of MANY, but not all.

So we can see that the Lord Jesus gave His life as a ransom on behalf of all men but the Lord only gave His life as a ransom "in place of" MANY people but not all.

The Lord Jesus only gave His life as a ransom "in place of" those who believe the gospel of our salvation. But He died on behalf of all men.

Robert Pate

Banned
Thanks, Robert.

Could you explain what you wrote in "bold"?

Thanks!

Christ is our righteousness. He is righteous because he fulfilled all of the demands of God's Holy Law. This righteousness is the only righteousness that God will accept. God does not accept the righteousness or the works of sinners, of which we are all one of.

In the judgment only those that are found to be "In Christ" will be saved. To be "In Christ" means that you are trusting in HIS righteousness and in HIS atonement for your sins. God must see you "In Christ" or you will perish.

beloved57

Let us look at these two verses:

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;Who gave himself a ransom for (hyper) all, to be testified in due time" (1 Tim.2:6).​

"Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for (anti) many" (Mt.20:28).​

In the first verse it says that He gave His life as a ransom for "all." Then in the second verse it says that He gave His life as a ransom for "many," but not all.

How can this be explained? The key to understanding the difference is understanding the meaning of the Greek words translated "for" in both verses.

In the first verse the Greek word translated "for" is hyper, and one of the meanings of that word is "on behalf of" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon). The Lord Jesus died on "behalf" of ALL MEN.

In the second verse the Greek word anti is translated as "for," and that word means "in place of" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon). So the Lord gave His life a ransom in place of MANY, but not all.

So we can see that the Lord Jesus gave His life as a ransom on behalf of all men but the Lord only gave His life as a ransom "in place of" MANY people but not all.

The Lord Jesus only gave His life as a ransom "in place of" those who believe the gospel of our salvation. But He died on behalf of all men.

Huh? Rabbit trail comments. Those Christ died for are made righteous by His obedience alone Rom 5:19 no faith required,except the faith/faithfulness of Christ!

beloved57

Christ is our righteousness. He is righteous because he fulfilled all of the demands of God's Holy Law. This righteousness is the only righteousness that God will accept. God does not accept the righteousness or the works of sinners, of which we are all one of.

In the judgment only those that are found to be "In Christ" will be saved. To be "In Christ" means that you are trusting in HIS righteousness and in HIS atonement for your sins. God must see you "In Christ" or you will perish.

You teach that sinners Christ died for shall still perish in their sins!

Robert Pate

Banned
Huh? Rabbit trail comments. Those Christ died for are made righteous by His obedience alone Rom 5:19 no faith required,except the faith/faithfulness of Christ!

No faith required?

This is why you are lost. You don't have faith in God or his Son Jesus Christ.

"The just (justified) shall live by faith" Romans 1:17.

We live by faith in Christ and his Gospel.

beloved57

No faith required?

This is why you are lost. You don't have faith in God or his Son Jesus Christ.

"The just (justified) shall live by faith" Romans 1:17.

We live by faith in Christ and his Gospel.

Nope, no faith required. According to Rom 5:19 how shall they be made righteous?

I.S.I.T.

The Christians righteousness is in heaven at the right hand of God. He doesn't posses it yet. It is to his account. We are called to live our lives before God as sinners, saved sinners.

This is false hyper grace doctrine,or a form of sin all you want and still be saved doctrine which is common these days. They try to make a disconnect between what Christs imputed righteousness looks like in a believer and the believers actions/works because of their own sinful actions proves them to be reprobate. The word of God teaches under grace sin shall not have dominion over you, but their false grace message says sin still has dominion over you while you are still in this world and in this body.

Be not deceived, if one is made righteous by God through Christ's imputed righteousness they will do righteous deeds. Righteous is as righteous does, evil is as evil does. You will know a tree by it's fruit.

1 John 2:29
If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

1 John 3:7
Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

1 John 3:10
In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Jerry Shugart

This is false hyper grace doctrine,or a form of sin all you want and still be saved doctrine which is common these days.

What did I say in my opening post which you think is in error?

What did the Apostle Paul mean when he wrote the following?:

"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any"
(1 Cor.6:12).​

"All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not" (1 Cor.10:23).​

Thanks!

meshak

BANNED
Banned
If you read what I posted in context it is speaking of believers faith in God not Jesus faith in God.

Hebrews 11:6-8 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith. By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.

Unfortunately for you scripture speaks against what you're claiming. In fact I don't think you will even address this scripture and instead post another scripture like you did. (Which is the case many people do when they don't believe in scripture)

I can give an example of twisting that I see from you. That verse you posted it says many were made sinners. That doesn't say all people. So from a similar logic you give concerning the world like say in 1 John 2:2 doesn't mean all people. (Though it does mean that) I don't see what that has to do with saying that a believer doesn't need faith in God. You're speaking contrary to scripture.

You see what you want to see.

Oh, the irony.

beloved57

If you read what I posted in context it is speaking of believers faith in God not Jesus faith in God.

Hebrews 11:6-8 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith. By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.

Unfortunately for you scripture speaks against what you're claiming. In fact I don't think you will even address this scripture and instead post another scripture like you did. (Which is the case many people do when they don't believe in scripture)

I can give an example of twisting that I see from you. That verse you posted it says many were made sinners. That doesn't say all people. So from a similar logic you give concerning the world like say in 1 John 2:2 doesn't mean all people. (Though it does mean that) I don't see what that has to do with saying that a believer doesn't need faith in God. You're speaking contrary to scripture.

You see what you want to see.

Did Christ please God with Faith ?

Robert Pate

Banned
This is false hyper grace doctrine,or a form of sin all you want and still be saved doctrine which is common these days. They try to make a disconnect between what Christs imputed righteousness looks like in a believer and the believers actions/works because of their own sinful actions proves them to be reprobate. The word of God teaches under grace sin shall not have dominion over you, but their false grace message says sin still has dominion over you while you are still in this world and in this body.

Be not deceived, if one is made righteous by God through Christ's imputed righteousness they will do righteous deeds. Righteous is as righteous does, evil is as evil does. You will know a tree by it's fruit.

1 John 2:29
If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

1 John 3:7
Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

1 John 3:10
In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

You have probably torn the 7th chapter of Romans out of your Bible. Either that or you believe that Paul was lying.

The Christian is not totally sanctified yet. He is still in his Adamic body in the world. The good that he would do, he doesn't do it, instead he does the evil, Romans 7:19.

We struggle with sin just like Paul did in Romans 7. If you don't have this struggle going on in your life it is because you are void of the Holy Spirit.

Holiness theology doesn't work. The more you try to be holy the more you will sin, Romans 7:7-12.