The Reformation Experience - Our 500th Anniversary Celebration

lowellwballard

We celebrated the 500th anniversary of the Reformation back on October 31, 2017 by posting 95 new Theses to the door of almost every church in our city and mailing it to the leading Protestant churches/organizations, for a total of 500 printed copies. We also emailed it to 95,000 protestant churches.

While some of the theses are controversial, and some may be thought to be heretical, at very least they open interesting discussion and debate.

Truster

Absolute truth is not open to discussion or debate. It is either accepted or denied.

The reformation is the work of man. As is all that pours forth from Rome, Canterbury, Geneva and Constantinople. The powerful delusion in action.

lowellwballard

Absolute truth is not open to discussion or debate. It is either accepted or denied.
Agreed in this sense, once something is successfully proven to someone to be most likely true we can say we don't believe it but it doesn't seem possible to actually not believe it. These are the propositions that seem to be at issue here:

47. "To say “I Know” is denying faith, because “faith” implies the possibility that the belief may not be true."

7. "...there is only one valid way to choose beliefs: choose the set of beliefs that are most probably true."

46. "Deductive logic requires inductive logic to support its premises. “Faith” is treating something that is probably true as if it is definitely true. Inductive logic is probabilistic and so requires faith."

48. "As followers of truth, we must be able to say "If a different belief were shown to be true I would reject my current belief, even if my family, friends and community shun or kill me"."

Truster

Agreed in this sense, once something is successfully proven to someone to be most likely true we can say we don't believe it but it doesn't seem possible to actually not believe it. These are the propositions that seem to be at issue here:

47. "To say “I Know” is denying faith, because “faith” implies the possibility that the belief may not be true."

7. "...there is only one valid way to choose beliefs: choose the set of beliefs that are most probably true."

46. "Deductive logic requires inductive logic to support its premises. “Faith” is treating something that is probably true as if it is definitely true. Inductive logic is probabilistic and so requires faith."

48. "As followers of truth, we must be able to say "If a different belief were shown to be true I would reject my current belief, even if my family, friends and community shun or kill me"."

Faith and belief are akin to a positive mental attitude. They are intrinsic to man and as such are not failsafe, but subject to whim and mans darkened understanding. Trust, however, is the abandonment of self into the care of another. Trust can only be understood by the person who has received it and is living by it.