The reason why Christ was baptized in water.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It was not a baptism of repentance, but was a washing under the law for His service as a Priest.

and it is required of all NT priests after Him to do the same. (Baptism in water)

The privilege of Priests under the new covenant is that they enter the Holy Place, which those believers without have no intimate knowledge of, nor is it lawful that they should know it.--

Heb 10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
Heb 10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
Heb 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
Heb 10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
Heb 10:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
Heb 10:20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
Heb 10:21 And having an high priest over the house of God;
Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

LA

Robert Pate

Banned
It was not a baptism of repentance, but was a washing under the law for His service as a Priest.

and it is required of all NT priests after Him to do the same. (Baptism in water)

The privilege of Priests under the new covenant is that they enter the Holy Place, which those believers without have no intimate knowledge of, nor is it lawful that they should know it.--

Heb 10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
Heb 10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
Heb 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
Heb 10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
Heb 10:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
Heb 10:20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
Heb 10:21 And having an high priest over the house of God;
Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

LA

Jesus was baptized in water so that I don't have to be.

beameup

Last part: True

Not true

The ceremonial washing of John the Baptizer was to fulfill Exodus 19:5-6:
Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

National Priesthood of Israel will be of the Order of Melchizedek
*Levites excepted - they will serve Messiah @ the Temple (see Ezekiel 40-48)

TrevorL

Greetings LA,
There may be some echo of the Law and priesthood, but Jesus introduces some important concepts based upon his own death and resurrection.
Matthew 3:17 KJV: 13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. 14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
The baptism of Jesus pointed forward to his death and resurrection, and both his baptism and his death were voluntary declarations of God’s righteousness. Jesus acknowledged that God was right in condemning Adam and his descendants to death, and that the flesh that Jesus and mankind possess which is prone to sin and under the sentence of death needs to be put to death, and Jesus did this voluntarily, thus laying the basis for the resurrection. Because he had done no sin, and because of the Father's love and fellowship with His Son, the grave could not hold him.

This principle is reflected in our baptism and the day to day living of the crucified and resurrected way of life.
Galatians 2:20 KJV: I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Kind regards
Trevor

Ben Masada

Jesus was not baptized in water but circumcised when he was 8 days old and, what happened to him in the Jordan River with the assistance of John the Immerser was the mikveh that every Jew undergoes before he gets married. Exactly the same happened to me here in Israel when I got married. Unless you are implying that Jesus was not a Jew.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Greetings LA,
There may be some echo of the Law and priesthood, but Jesus introduces some important concepts based upon his own death and resurrection.
Matthew 3:17 KJV: 13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. 14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
The baptism of Jesus pointed forward to his death and resurrection, and both his baptism and his death were voluntary declarations of God’s righteousness. Jesus acknowledged that God was right in condemning Adam and his descendants to death, and that the flesh that Jesus and mankind possess which is prone to sin and under the sentence of death needs to be put to death, and Jesus did this voluntarily, thus laying the basis for the resurrection. Because he had done no sin, and because of the Father's love and fellowship with His Son, the grave could not hold him.

This principle is reflected in our baptism and the day to day living of the crucified and resurrected way of life.
Galatians 2:20 KJV: I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Kind regards
Trevor

You no doubt know that Israelites in coming out of Egypt were baptized in the reed sea and in the Jordan before entering the promised land to begin inheriting the Kingdom.

John was baptizing the red sea crossing before and after Christ came to him to fulfill all righteousness in being baptized in water, which paralleled the Jordan crossing of the Israelites.

LA

Rivers

Jesus was not baptized in water but circumcised when he was 8 days old and, what happened to him in the Jordan River with the assistance of John the Immerser was the mikveh that every Jew undergoes before he gets married. Exactly the same happened to me here in Israel when I got married. Unless you are implying that Jesus was not a Jew.

John the baptizing in watered areas in the wilderness beyond the Jordan River (John 3:23). There aren't any mikveh mentioned in scripture either.

chair

"Baptism" in water is a Jewish purity custom that goes back thousands of years and continues to this day. Don't get all tied up in knots over the Christian theological significance of this.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Deep enough that unless God held back the waters they would have died in it.

The waters were held back to a town called Adam.

1 Kings 9:26 says, "King Solomon also built a fleet of ships at Ezion Geber, which is near Elath on the shore of the Red Sea, in the land of Edom."

Elath [N] [H] grove; trees, ( Deuteronomy 2:8 ), also in plural form Eloth ( 1 Kings 9:26 , etc.); called by the Greeks and Romans Elana; a city of Idumea, on the east, i.e., the Elanitic, gulf, or the Gulf of Akabah, of the Red Sea. It is first mentioned in Deuteronomy 2:8 . It is also mentioned along with Ezion-geber in 1 Kings 9:26 . It was within the limits of Solomon's dominion, but afterwards revolted. It was, however, recovered and held for a time under king Uzziah ( 2 Kings 14:22 ). Now the ruin Aila.(http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/elath/)​

Isaiah 51:10 says, "Are You not the One who dried up the sea, the waters of the great deep; that made the depths of the sea a road for the redeemed to cross over?

Isaiah 51:15, "But I am the LORD your God, who divided the sea whose waves roared — the LORD of hosts is His name."

Do the waves roar in the body of water you are referring to?

Jerry Shugart

Here is what we read about the Lord Jesus:

"For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law" (Heb.8:4).​

Here is why the Lord was baptized with water:

"Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors" (Isa.53:12).​

Last edited:

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
1 Kings 9:26 says, "King Solomon also built a fleet of ships at Ezion Geber, which is near Elath on the shore of the Red Sea, in the land of Edom."

Elath [N] [H] grove; trees, ( Deuteronomy 2:8 ), also in plural form Eloth ( 1 Kings 9:26 , etc.); called by the Greeks and Romans Elana; a city of Idumea, on the east, i.e., the Elanitic, gulf, or the Gulf of Akabah, of the Red Sea. It is first mentioned in Deuteronomy 2:8 . It is also mentioned along with Ezion-geber in 1 Kings 9:26 . It was within the limits of Solomon's dominion, but afterwards revolted. It was, however, recovered and held for a time under king Uzziah ( 2 Kings 14:22 ). Now the ruin Aila.(http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/elath/)​

Isaiah 51:10 says, "Are You not the One who dried up the sea, the waters of the great deep; that made the depths of the sea a road for the redeemed to cross over?

Isaiah 51:15, "But I am the LORD your God, who divided the sea whose waves roared — the LORD of hosts is His name."

Do the waves roar in the body of water you are referring to?

When I mentioned the Red sea, I was referring to its spiritual place in salvation which John was doing, and which the disciples of Jesus were doing.

However when Jesus was baptized, He was crossing the Jordan spiritually and beginning His ministry in beginning to conquer Canaan as the Israelites did when they first crossed the Jordan.

Can you grasp that?

Jos 1:10 Then Joshua commanded the officers of the people, saying,
Jos 1:11 Pass through the host, and command the people, saying, Prepare you victuals; for within three days ye shall pass over this Jordan, to go in to possess the land, which the LORD your God giveth you to possess it.

Jos 5:13 And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries?
Jos 5:14 And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?
Jos 5:15 And the captain of the LORD'S host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.

Jdg 2:1 And an angel of the LORD came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you unto the land which I sware unto your fathers; and I said, I will never break my covenant with you.
Jdg 2:2 And ye shall make no league with the inhabitants of this land; ye shall throw down their altars: but ye have not obeyed my voice: why have ye done this?
Jdg 2:3 Wherefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be as thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare unto you.
Jdg 2:4 And it came to pass, when the angel of the LORD spake these words unto all the children of Israel, that the people lifted up their voice, and wept.
Jdg 2:5 And they called the name of that place Bochim: and they sacrificed there unto the LORD.
Jdg 2:6 And when Joshua had let the people go, the children of Israel went every man unto his inheritance to possess the land.
Jdg 2:7 And the people served the LORD all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders that outlived Joshua, who had seen all the great works of the LORD, that he did for Israel.

Jdg 2:10 And also all that generation were gathered unto their fathers: and there arose another generation after them, which knew not the LORD, nor yet the works which he had done for Israel.
Jdg 2:11 And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD, and served Baalim:
Jdg 2:12 And they forsook the LORD God of their fathers, which brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods, of the gods of the people that were round about them, and bowed themselves unto them, and provoked the LORD to anger.
Jdg 2:13 And they forsook the LORD, and served Baal and Ashtaroth.
Jdg 2:14 And the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel, and he delivered them into the hands of spoilers that spoiled them, and he sold them into the hands of their enemies round about, so that they could not any longer stand before their enemies.
Jdg 2:15 Whithersoever they went out, the hand of the LORD was against them for evil, as the LORD had said, and as the LORD had sworn unto them: and they were greatly distressed.

LA

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
When I mentioned the Red sea, I was referring to its spiritual place in salvation which John was doing, and which the disciples of Jesus were doing.

So why did you refer to the Red Sea as the Reed Sea?

John was preparing the way for Jesus.

Jdorman

Christ’s very first words in this Gospel occur in the context of baptism. Righteousness is more than a state of mere sinlessness. Jesus submitted to baptism not because He had sinned, but for the sake of righteousness. In the New Testament, “righteousness” serves as a technical, theological term conveying the notion of God’s approval. The voice that spoke from Heaven after Christ’s baptism embodied this approval. The Son of Man earned God’s approval by His uniquely perfect obedience to the will of the Father, thus “fulfill[ing]” the Law (Matt. 5:17).

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So why did you refer to the Red Sea as the Reed Sea?

John was preparing the way for Jesus.

The Reed sea is its proper name.

John was preparing the people to hear the Lord , which is as the Israelies came into the wilderness and the LORD came down to speak to them at Mt Sinai.

2Co 3:7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
2Co 3:8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
2Co 3:9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
2Co 3:10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
2Co 3:11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.
2Co 3:12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:
2Co 3:13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
2Co 3:14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
2Co 3:15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
2Co 3:16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
2Co 3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
2Co 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Christ’s very first words in this Gospel occur in the context of baptism. Righteousness is more than a state of mere sinlessness. Jesus submitted to baptism not because He had sinned, but for the sake of righteousness. In the New Testament, “righteousness” serves as a technical, theological term conveying the notion of God’s approval. The voice that spoke from Heaven after Christ’s baptism embodied this approval. The Son of Man earned God’s approval by His uniquely perfect obedience to the will of the Father, thus “fulfill[ing]” the Law (Matt. 5:17).

It was needful that Christ be baptized becuse He was a mortal man, and the LORD by His Spirit was about to enter Him.

It equates to the sea before the Holy Place.

LA