The Pathway Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
On the contrary, I am "blessed" with such a good life, that I have the time to listen to wack job theories about magical hair, talking bushes, talking snakes, and zombie saviors. I'm quite content with my life :D

You should be mindful of the house you've been invited to sup in, after a fashion. Skeptics and atheists and people of any number of faiths are welcome and discourse, argument and good natured rough and tumble are as well. But if you approach the Holy (regardless of your particular faith) disrespectfully you'll be shown the door sooner or later. That isn't the purpose of TOL. Change your methodology a bit or at least you can't say you weren't warned well in advance.

As to the sort of dim bulbs who've embraced Christianity--we both know they include some of the finest and most celebrated minds in human history. Yours is a thin sort of attempt to goad, a supercilious preening to no real purpose that anyone of substance should aspire or take any measure of pride in.

Elo has demonstrated over the course of a prolonged stay here that he's a man of intellectual substance and measured consideration. So far, you appear to be about eighty percent posture. An inauspicious beginning.

Last edited:

Freethinker93

You should be mindful of the house you've been invited to sup in, after a fashion. Skeptics and atheists and people of any number of faiths are welcome and discourse, argument and good natured rough and tumble are as well. But if you approach the Holy (regardless of your particular faith) disrespectfully you'll be shown the door sooner or later. That isn't the purpose of TOL. Change your methodology a bit or at least you can't say you weren't warned well in advance.

As to the sort of dim bulbs who've embraced Christianity--we both know they include some of the finest and most celebrated minds in human history. Yours is a thin sort of attempt to goad, a supercilious preening to no real purpose that anyone of substance should aspire or take any measure of pride in.

Elo has demonstrated over the course of a prolonged stay here that he's a man of intellectual substance and measured consideration. So far, you appear to be about eighty percent posture. An inauspicious beginning.

I have no doubt to the measure of his intelligence, but all I asked for was justification in his assertions that by me not accepting Christ that somehow made me ignorant. That is all I pursued. I take things like that personally, and all I did was put the shoe on the other foot. Only I gave my reasons for doing so, something which Elo still has not done.

I apologize for my rude introduction into this forum, sincerely. I have a list of excuses for why I was in such an unpleasant mood, but excuses aren't worth jack. So ok, I apologize and I hope you accept it.

Lehrer

Welcome friend, we seem to think alike. The historical church has done a great job of distorting truth, I am glad you see through it.
When folks start to think of Jesus as God, they have been totally misled.
Welcome to TOL.
Peace

Thanks, Keypurr, I am most pleasantly surprised that I seem to have stumbled upon some people with similar beliefs. That is rare indeed.

Lehrer

Then I must be pretty dumb for believing the scriptures...

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Revelation 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

I deal with all three of these scriptures on the link to my site you give later on in this thread.

What is your response to the fact that Moses was called God, and the Judges of Israel? Dagon was called a god (elohim), anything can be a god.

Lehrer

Evil is a little harsh, but you're entitled to your beliefs.

Elaborate on evil perhaps? You seem to be saying a lot, but saying very little at the same time. At least when I hurled a rude comment your way I was able to give my reasons. I call you dumb for believing in something as outlandish as Jesus being his own father. Or the story of Sampson and his magical hair. Or a man being swallowed by a whale.

If I misstate a christian belief perhaps it is only because they don't present their beliefs in a way that could be understood by a realistic mind.

Rid of me? Should I take that as a threat?

Please. You're all mouth, not all ears.

You guys carry on . . . I'm going to mingle.

Nice meeting you, Freethinker :cheers:

Lehrer

Hi. :)

Yeah .. I think it's time for a change though... :think:

Did you know Sunday is named for the sun?

Is that right . . . now I knew that Tuesday was named after Tyre, son of Odin aka Woden, and Wednesday is Woden's day. Thursday is Thor's day and Friday is Frigga's day.

As for your avatar, at least I got to see it. I enjoy good nature photography.

[ETA: By the way, how many posts do I have to make before I can use my own avatar?]

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I deal with all three of these scriptures on the link to my site you give later on in this thread.
TOL has been around for almost 15 years... we are very keen at spotting folks who wish to use TOL to promote their own website and drive our traffic to theirs.

Please keep the discussion here... rather than there... or we will simply delete your account and everything associated with it.

Oh... and.. welcome to TOL. :D

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I have no doubt to the measure of his intelligence, but all I asked for was justification in his assertions that by me not accepting Christ that somehow made me ignorant.
Well, it rather does make you ignorant of the experience that drives Christendom, the context for the faithful. And a man approaching a consideration absent a grasp of context is like a blind man describing an elephant. That should lead one to a careful and considering inquiry, if the point is to glean as much of that absent experience as you can conceptually. Else, it can look like...well, let me get to that in the next.

That is all I pursued. I take things like that personally, and all I did was put the shoe on the other foot. Only I gave my reasons for doing so, something which Elo still has not done.
Part of being new is not understanding how many people have arrived on this shore ready to "educate" the natives. :chuckle: Past a point you begin to identify certain precursors that almost invariably lead to fruitless involvement and early exits. Not always, of course, but as a general rule. Now the twentieth or thirtieth time you've stepped away from that understanding only to waste additional time and effort on someone who had no intention of hearing, but only came to be heard, it can jade you, make you less likely to except and more likely to rest on that rule.

With that in mind I always advise anyone new to a forum to begin with reasoned, civil and, where possible, amiable objection...sometimes even in the face of a testing crowd. It will stand you better over time, lead to more immediate and substantive engagement and prolong your chance at joining a community many outside of the faithful appear to find worth their investment of time and participation.

I apologize for my rude introduction into this forum, sincerely.
That's the stuff. :cheers:

I have a list of excuses for why I was in such an unpleasant mood, but excuses aren't worth jack. So ok, I apologize and I hope you accept it.
I think you'll be surprised by the harvest an irenic participation will afford you over time and how far an honest apology can go among us.

Welcome to TOL. :e4e:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is that right . . . now I knew that Tuesday was named after Tyre, son of Odin aka Woden, and Wednesday is Woden's day. Thursday is Thor's day and Friday is Frigga's day.

OK... so did you say something about paganism?

[ETA: By the way, how many posts do I have to make before I can use my own avatar?]

50 and 2 weeks. Or you can pay for a subscription. :thumb:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think you'll be surprised by the harvest an irenic participation will afford you over time

Irenic? Is that irony with a missing electron? :D

and how far an honest apology can go among us.

Honest apologies are fantastic. :thumb:

I am waiting on one from the very dishonest and not very smart barbarian. There are a number of other atheists that I would be surprised, but happy to hear from as well. Dumbies.

:think:

I wonder if I need to apologise .. to anyone ... else.... :noid:

elohiym

What is your response to the fact that Moses was called God, and the Judges of Israel? Dagon was called a god (elohim), anything can be a god.

Whoa! I gave you a response to what I read on your site, specifically addressing Revelation 22:13; but you have apparently ignored it. Here it is again:

I noticed you did not address the OT scriptures, so your argument is handicapped right off the bat.

A quick read found this blatant error...

Lehrer said:
Revelation 1:17 - "Fear not; I am the first and the last."

Revelation 22:13 - "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."

Both verses listed here from Revelation are in reference to Jehovah God rather than Jesus Christ.

The speaker of Revelation 22:13 is indicated in Revelation 22:16...

16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

The Bible states that Jesus claimed "I am Alpha and Omega," contrary to your assertion.

Address that.

elohiym

Past a point you begin to identify certain precursors that almost invariably lead to fruitless involvement and early exits. Not always, of course, but as a general rule. Now the twentieth or thirtieth time you've stepped away from that understanding only to waste additional time and effort on someone who had no intention of hearing, but only came to be heard, it can jade you, make you less likely to except and more likely to rest on that rule.

:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.