The Late Great Urantia Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Did Jesus Believe The Old Testament Books?

Did Jesus Believe The Old Testament Books?

What did Jesus say about the OT scriptures in private?

4. THE TALK WITH NATHANIEL

159:4.1 And then went Jesus over to Abila, where Nathaniel and his associates labored. Nathaniel was much bothered by some of Jesus’ pronouncements which seemed to detract from the authority of the recognized Hebrew scriptures. Accordingly, on this night, after the usual period of questions and answers, Nathaniel took Jesus away from the others and asked: “Master, could you trust me to know the truth about the Scriptures? I observe that you teach us only a portion of the sacred writings—the best as I view it—and I infer that you reject the teachings of the rabbis to the effect that the words of the law are the very words of God, having been with God in heaven even before the times of Abraham and Moses. What is the truth about the Scriptures?” When Jesus heard the question of his bewildered apostle, he answered:

159:4.2 "Nathaniel, you have rightly judged; I do not regard the Scriptures as do the rabbis. I will talk with you about this matter on condition that you do not relate these things to your brethren, who are not all prepared to receive this teaching. The words of the law of Moses and the teachings of the Scriptures were not in existence before Abraham. Only in recent times have the Scriptures been gathered together as we now have them. While they contain the best of the higher thoughts and longings of the Jewish people, they also contain much that is far from being representative of the character and teachings of the Father in heaven; wherefore must I choose from among the better teachings those truths which are to be gleaned for the gospel of the kingdom.

159:4.3 “These writings are the work of men, some of them holy men, others not so holy. The teachings of these books represent the views and extent of enlightenment of the time in which they had their origin. As a revelation of truth, the last are more dependable than the first. The Scriptures are faulty and altogether human in origin, but mistake not, they do constitute the best collection of religious wisdom and spiritual truth to be found in all the world at this time.

159:4.4 “Many of these books were not written by the persons whose names they bear, but that in no way detracts from the value of the truths which they contain. If the story of Jonah should not be a fact, even if Jonah had never lived, still would the profound truth of this narrative, the love of God for Nineveh and the so-called heathen, be none the less precious in the eyes of all those who love their fellow men. The Scriptures are sacred because they present the thoughts and acts of men who were searching for God, and who in these writings left on record their highest concepts of righteousness, truth, and holiness. The Scriptures contain much that is true, very much, but in the light of your present teaching, you know that these writings also contain much that is misrepresentative of the Father in heaven, the loving God I have come to reveal to all the worlds.

159:4.5 "Nathaniel, never permit yourself for one moment to believe the Scripture records which tell you that the God of love directed your forefathers to go forth in battle to slay all their enemies—men, women, and children. Such records are the words of men, not very holy men, and they are not the word of God. The Scriptures always have, and always will, reflect the intellectual, moral, and spiritual status of those who create them. Have you not noted that the concepts of Yahweh grow in beauty and glory as the prophets make their records from Samuel to Isaiah? And you should remember that the Scriptures are intended for religious instruction and spiritual guidance. They are not the works of either historians or philosophers.

159:4.6 “The thing most deplorable is not merely this erroneous idea of the absolute perfection of the Scripture record and the infallibility of its teachings, but rather the confusing misinterpretation of these sacred writings by the tradition-enslaved scribes and Pharisees at Jerusalem. And now will they employ both the doctrine of the inspiration of the Scriptures and their misinterpretations thereof in their determined effort to withstand these newer teachings of the gospel of the kingdom. Nathaniel, never forget, the Father does not limit the revelation of truth to any one generation or to any one people. Many earnest seekers after the truth have been, and will continue to be, confused and disheartened by these doctrines of the perfection of the Scriptures.

159:4.7 “The authority of truth is the very spirit that indwells its living manifestations, and not the dead words of the less illuminated and supposedly inspired men of another generation. And even if these holy men of old lived inspired and spirit-filled lives, that does not mean that their words were similarly spiritually inspired. Today we make no record of the teachings of this gospel of the kingdom lest, when I have gone, you speedily become divided up into sundry groups of truth contenders as a result of the diversity of your interpretation of my teachings. For this generation it is best that we live these truths while we shun the making of records.

159:4.8 “Mark you well my words, Nathaniel, nothing which human nature has touched can be regarded as infallible. Through the mind of man divine truth may indeed shine forth, but always of relative purity and partial divinity. The creature may crave infallibility, but only the Creators possess it.

159:4.9 “But the greatest error of the teaching about the Scripture is the doctrine of their being sealed books of mystery and wisdom which only the wise minds of the nation dare to interpret. The revelations of divine truth are not sealed except by human ignorance, bigotry, and narrow-minded intolerance. The light of the Scriptures is only dimmed by prejudice and darkened by superstition. A false fear of sacredness has prevented religion from being safeguarded by common sense. The fear of the authority of the sacred writings of the past effectively prevents the honest souls of today from accepting the new light of the gospel, the light which these very God-knowing men of another generation so intensely longed to see.

159:4.10 “But the saddest feature of all is the fact that some of the teachers of the sanctity of this traditionalism know this very truth. They more or less fully understand these limitations of Scripture, but they are moral cowards, intellectually dishonest. They know the truth regarding the sacred writings, but they prefer to withhold such disturbing facts from the people. And thus do they pervert and distort the Scriptures, making them the guide to slavish details of the daily life and an authority in things nonspiritual instead of appealing to the sacred writings as the repository of the moral wisdom, religious inspiration, and the spiritual teaching of the God-knowing men of other generations.”

159:4.11 Nathaniel was enlightened, and shocked, by the Master’s pronouncement. He long pondered this talk in the depths of his soul, but he told no man concerning this conference until after Jesus’ ascension; and even then he feared to impart the full story of the Master’s instruction. UB

Caino

bucksplasher

159:4.11 Nathaniel was enlightened, and shocked, by the Master’s pronouncement. He long pondered this talk in the depths of his soul, but he told no man concerning this conference until after Jesus’ ascension; and even then he feared to impart the full story of the Master’s instruction. UB

Caino[/QUOTE]

Nathaniel wasn't the only one "shocked" by this Master's interpretation. I'm pleased to see that for the most part He agrees with much Catholic exegesis. tWINs

Aimiel

What did Jesus say about the OT scriptures in private?
Since He never changes...

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

... He said in private the SAME thing He said in public...

John 17:17
Sanctify them through Thy Truth: Thy Word is Truth.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Since He never changes...

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

... He said in private the SAME thing He said in public...

John 17:17
Sanctify them through Thy Truth: Thy Word is Truth.

You apparently forgot to read the text of what Jesus was saying about the OT. Review again. Pretty important.

Also did you forget that Jesus taught the crowds with parables, and then in 'private' revealed their meaning to his disciples, as it was given to them to know the mysteries of the kingdom, while the others remained in the dark so to speak. To the crowds was given the 'exoteric' teaching....to the inner circle of disciples....the 'esoteric' :)

pj

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
When heaven and earth pass away, Jesus' Word will still stand, ETERNAL.

Luke 21:33
Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

The Urantia Book of Lies shall pass away and be forgotten.

The words of Jesus as paraphrased in the UB and corraborated by the gospels, will indeed stand,....as any true religious principles in any other volumes of inspired writings as well. Continuing to denigrate the UB from your ignorance of its teachings does not discount the work, but your learning skills.

The path of learning is always open - The UB Fellowship

pj

Caino

BANNED
Banned
The Evolution of God in the Old Testiment

The Evolution of God in the Old Testiment

The Concept of God

(1598.2) 142:3.1 The twelve apostles, most of whom had listened to this discussion of the character of God, that night asked Jesus many questions about the Father in heaven. The Master’s answers to these questions can best be presented by the following summary in modern phraseology:

(1598.3) 142:3.2 Jesus mildly upbraided the twelve, in substance saying: Do you not know the traditions of Israel relating to the growth of the idea of Yahweh, and are you ignorant of the teaching of the Scriptures concerning the doctrine of God? And then did the Master proceed to instruct the apostles about the evolution of the concept of Deity throughout the course of the development of the Jewish people. He called attention to the following phases of the growth of the God idea:

(1598.4) 142:3.3 1. Yahweh — the god of the Sinai clans. This was the primitive concept of Deity which Moses exalted to the higher level of the Lord God of Israel. The Father in heaven never fails to accept the sincere worship of his children on earth, no matter how crude their concept of Deity or by what name they symbolize his divine nature.

(1598.5) 142:3.4 2. The Most High. This concept of the Father in heaven was proclaimed by Melchizedek to Abraham and was carried far from Salem by those who subsequently believed in this enlarged and expanded idea of Deity. Abraham and his brother left Ur because of the establishment of sun worship, and they became believers in Melchizedek’s teaching of El Elyon — the Most High God. Theirs was a composite concept of God, consisting in a blending of their older Mesopotamian ideas and the Most High doctrine.

(1598.6) 142:3.5 3. El Shaddai. During these early days many of the Hebrews worshiped El Shaddai, the Egyptian concept of the God of heaven, which they learned about during their captivity in the land of the Nile. Long after the times of Melchizedek all three of these concepts of God became joined together to form the doctrine of the creator Deity, the Lord God of Israel.

(1598.7) 142:3.6 4. Elohim. From the times of Adam the teaching of the Paradise Trinity has persisted. Do you not recall how the Scriptures begin by asserting that “In the beginning the Gods created the heavens and the earth”? This indicates that when that record was made the Trinity concept of three Gods in one had found lodgment in the religion of our forebears.

(1598.8) 142:3.7 5. The Supreme Yahweh. By the times of Isaiah these beliefs about God had expanded into the concept of a Universal Creator who was simultaneously all-powerful and all-merciful. And this evolving and enlarging concept of God virtually supplanted all previous ideas of Deity in our fathers’ religion.

(1598.9) 142:3.8 6. The Father in heaven. And now do we know God as our Father in heaven. Our teaching provides a religion wherein the believer is a son of God. That is the good news of the gospel of the kingdom of heaven. Coexistent with the Father are the Son and the Spirit, and the revelation of the nature and ministry of these Paradise Deities will continue to enlarge and brighten throughout the endless ages of the eternal spiritual progression of the ascending sons of God. At all times and during all ages the true worship of any human being — as concerns individual spiritual progress — is recognized by the indwelling spirit as homage rendered to the Father in heaven.

(1599.1) 142:3.9 Never before had the apostles been so shocked as they were upon hearing this recounting of the growth of the concept of God in the Jewish minds of previous generations; they were too bewildered to ask questions. As they sat before Jesus in silence, the Master continued: “And you would have known these truths had you read the Scriptures. Have you not read in Samuel where it says: ‘And the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel, so much so that he moved David against them, saying, go number Israel and Judah’? And this was not strange because in the days of Samuel the children of Abraham really believed that Yahweh created both good and evil. But when a later writer narrated these events, subsequent to the enlargement of the Jewish concept of the nature of God, he did not dare attribute evil to Yahweh; therefore he said: ‘And Satan stood up against Israel and provoked David to number Israel.’ Cannot you discern that such records in the Scriptures clearly show how the concept of the nature of God continued to grow from one generation to another?

Caino

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
159:4.2 "Nathaniel, you have rightly judged; I do not regard the Scriptures as do the rabbis. I will talk with you about this matter on condition that you do not relate these things to your brethren, who are not all prepared to receive this teaching. The words of the law of Moses and the teachings of the Scriptures were not in existence before Abraham. Only in recent times have the Scriptures been gathered together as we now have them. While they contain the best of the higher thoughts and longings of the Jewish people, they also contain much that is far from being representative of the character and teachings of the Father in heaven; wherefore must I choose from among the better teachings those truths which are to be gleaned for the gospel of the kingdom.

159:4.3 “These writings are the work of men, some of them holy men, others not so holy.

According to Paul all the writings are inspired by God and profitable for teaching and training in righeousness.

This does sound very much like what I said before, that the difficult teachings of the Bible have been watered down by the UB so as not to give anyone any offence. This obviously is in preparation for the following which occurs only a few verses later:
never permit yourself for one moment to believe the Scripture records which tell you that the God of love directed your forefathers to go forth in battle to slay all their enemies—men, women, and children. Such records are the words of men, not very holy men, and they are not the word of God.

It is clearly the Holy Wars that give the UB authors one of their big problems. Please remember that God is not there for our benefit. If you cross out from the Bible everything you do not like then of what value is any of it? It just becomes another expression of your own views, yet another god invented by man. There have been lots of attempts to change the Bible down the centuries but it all amounts to the same thing: an implicit recognition that the Bible cannot be improved upon. The only thing the jealous can do with is to corrupt it.

Happy Christmas to all.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
brass tacks

brass tacks

According to Paul all the writings are inspired by God and profitable for teaching and training in righeousness.

Note: 'according to Paul' ;)

This does sound very much like what I said before, that the difficult teachings of the Bible have been watered down by the UB so as not to give anyone any offence. This obviously is in preparation for the following which occurs only a few verses later:

I dont see an attempt to water anything down but to present a more 'reasonable' portrayal of God the Father, the God of Jesus. Earlier concepts of men of 'God', did not quite meet the mark.

It is clearly the Holy Wars that give the UB authors one of their big problems. Please remember that God is not there for our benefit. If you cross out from the Bible everything you do not like then of what value is any of it? It just becomes another expression of your own views, yet another god invented by man. There have been lots of attempts to change the Bible down the centuries but it all amounts to the same thing: an implicit recognition that the Bible cannot be improved upon. The only thing the jealous can do with is to corrupt it.

What do you find unreasonable in Jesus' address to Nathaniel about this? If there is something in the Bible or any book that does not corrrespond to reason, logic, spiritual intelligence, sanity, truth, when representing the nature and character of 'God' it ought not be accepted. These would then have to be imperfect, distorted and false representations of 'God'. Did you read the entire address? Seems pretty reasonable to me, unless you have made the bible an idol, and some kind of final representation of reality, which is odd, since some parts of it are rather insane.

Happy Christmas to all.

To you too :)

Paulie

Lost Comet

Happy Christmas to all.
It's a big problem for me, too. So is the idea that an innocent man had to die for our sins.

You should read all of what was said. :D

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's a big problem for me, too. So is the idea that an innocent man had to die for our sins.

You should read all of what was said. :D

I don't object to you having a different view to what the Bible says. (And I have many sympathies with Paulie's concepts) I know it is difficult for many to swallow. Jesus' teachings in his own day were difficult for people and many stopped following him at various points because of this. But if you don't agree with the Bible or with Jesus' teachings, why not just say so instead of dressing up the Bible to make it say something that it doesn't? Wouldn't that gain you more respect?

Caino

BANNED
Banned
I don't object to you having a different view to what the Bible says. (And I have many sympathies with Paulie's concepts) I know it is difficult for many to swallow. Jesus' teachings in his own day were difficult for people and many stopped following him at various points because of this. But if you don't agree with the Bible or with Jesus' teachings, why not just say so instead of dressing up the Bible to make it say something that it doesn't? Wouldn't that gain you more respect?

* Its called The Urantia Book, this thread is about the revelations contained within it.

* Nowhere, in any conical books does the Bible claim to be "the word of God". In fact the Bible says the Son of God is the word of God and as accurately as his words and teachings were preserved in the Bible one could say that they are "the word of God" but the Bible is a collection of various books of varying quality and accuracy and have been edited and redacted over the centuries. Originally there were other books that were considered inspired but those books fell out of favor by the church because they were even more inconsistent then the Bible is now.

* When Paul said the writings are inspired by God and profitable for teaching and training in righteousness, his writings were not even scripture yet.

* The reason religious leaders claim their books to be "the word of God" is so that they can derive their authority from them.

Caino

Caino

BANNED
Banned
[Presented by a Divine Counselor, a member of a group of celestial personalities assigned by the Ancients of Days on Uversa, the headquarters of the seventh superuniverse, to supervise those portions of this forthcoming revelation which have to do with affairs beyond the borders of the local universe of Nebadon. I am commissioned to sponsor those papers portraying the nature and attributes of God because I represent the highest source of information available for such a purpose on any inhabited world. I have served as a Divine Counselor in all seven of the superuniverses and have long resided at the Paradise center of all things. Many times have I enjoyed the supreme pleasure of a sojourn in the immediate personal presence of the Universal Father. I portray the reality and truth of the Father’s nature and attributes with unchallengeable authority; I know whereof I speak.]​

THE UNIVERSAL FATHER
http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1001#U1_7_9

THE NATURE OF GOD
http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1002

THE ATTRIBUTES OF GOD
http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1003

GOD’S RELATION TO THE UNIVERSE
http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1004

GOD’S RELATION TO THE INDIVIDUAL
http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1005

Caino

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
* Its called The Urantia Book, this thread is about the revelations contained within it.

* Nowhere, in any conical books does the Bible claim to be "the word of God". In fact the Bible says the Son of God is the word of God and as accurately as his words and teachings were preserved in the Bible one could say that they are "the word of God" but the Bible is a collection of various books of varying quality and accuracy and have been edited and redacted over the centuries. Originally there were other books that were considered inspired but those books fell out of favor by the church because they were even more inconsistent then the Bible is now.

* When Paul said the writings are inspired by God and profitable for teaching and training in righteousness, his writings were not even scripture yet.

* The reason religious leaders claim their books to be "the word of God" is so that they can derive their authority from them.

Caino

I've never claimed that the Bible was the Word of God. And I agree with you that many Christian leaders do so as a means of administering their authority. I don't believe that the Bible is the Word of God and neither do I believe the protestant doctrine of sola scriptura. But for all that, the Bible is what it is and says what it says.

And when Paul said that all scripture was inspired, etc. he was referring to a commonly held belief of the Jews, namely that God spoke them as a nation through the prophets because they were his called people. Christians expected that he would continue to speak to them and Paul also expected that. As to the canon of the Bible I am perfectly open to the idea that other books were inspired by God and useful for teaching, etc. as Paul says. The settlement by the church on what constituted the inspired scriptures of the Christian church in my view was aimed primarily at eliminating those writings which were deemed to be heretical. This is in my view a perfectly valid reason for settling the canon but it does not detract from the notion that God still speaks to his church through inspired ministries, including writing ministries.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
I've never claimed that the Bible was the Word of God. And I agree with you that many Christian leaders do so as a means of administering their authority. I don't believe that the Bible is the Word of God and neither do I believe the protestant doctrine of sola scriptura. But for all that, the Bible is what it is and says what it says.

And when Paul said that all scripture was inspired, etc. he was referring to a commonly held belief of the Jews, namely that God spoke them as a nation through the prophets because they were his called people. Christians expected that he would continue to speak to them and Paul also expected that. As to the canon of the Bible I am perfectly open to the idea that other books were inspired by God and useful for teaching, etc. as Paul says. The settlement by the church on what constituted the inspired scriptures of the Christian church in my view was aimed primarily at eliminating those writings which were deemed to be heretical. This is in my view a perfectly valid reason for settling the canon but it does not detract from the notion that God still speaks to his church through inspired ministries, including writing ministries.

Thank you for your reply that sounds like a reasonable and healthy approach. I'm also of the mind that revelation is ongoing.

Caino

Lost Comet

I don't see it as "dressing up the Bible" as much as putting it in a refiner's fire. :cool:

Aimiel

The words of Jesus as paraphrased in the UB and corraborated by the gospels...
The UB isn't corroborated by The Gospels, it was plagiarized from The Gospels by demons. :duh:
...as any true religious principles in any other volumes of inspired writings as well.
'Other' gospels are damned...

Galatians 1:8
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
Continuing to denigrate the UB from your ignorance of its teachings does not discount the work, but your learning skills.
I don't have to read a 'dime-store-novel' to know it's trashy nor do I have to read the UB to know it is only demonic doctrine.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
be of good cheer.....

be of good cheer.....

The UB isn't corroborated by The Gospels, it was plagiarized from The Gospels by demons. :duh: 'Other' gospels are damned...

Galatians 1:8
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.I don't have to read a 'dime-store-novel' to know it's trashy nor do I have to read the UB to know it is only demonic doctrine.

All you do is demonize and denigrate. Until you read and understand the what the UB is all about, you might be better suited to judge it, but that would also take lots of religious deprogramming first.

Oh btw.....Merry Christmas!

pj

Aimiel

All you do is demonize and denigrate.
Hardly. I do, however, know and recognize the enemy and attack him wherever he violates God's territory.
Until you read and understand the what the UB is all about, you might be better suited to judge it, but that would also take lots of religious deprogramming first.
The ONLY 'programming' I have had has been at The Feet of The Lord, and He hates the spirit of religion.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Jesus in Rome

Jesus in Rome

TRIPS ABOUT ROME​

132:7.1 Jesus, Gonod, and Ganid made five trips away from Rome to points of interest in the surrounding territory. On their visit to the northern Italian lakes Jesus had the long talk with Ganid concerning the impossibility of teaching a man about God if the man does not desire to know God. They had casually met a thoughtless pagan while on their journey up to the lakes, and Ganid was surprised that Jesus did not follow out his usual practice of enlisting the man in conversation which would naturally lead up to the discussion of spiritual questions. When Ganid asked his teacher why he evinced so little interest in this pagan, Jesus answered:

132:7.2 “Ganid, the man was not hungry for truth. He was not dissatisfied with himself. He was not ready to ask for help, and the eyes of his mind were not open to receive light for the soul. That man was not ripe for the harvest of salvation; he must be allowed more time for the trials and difficulties of life to prepare him for the reception of wisdom and higher learning. Or, if we could have him live with us, we might by our lives show him the Father in heaven, and thus would he become so attracted by our lives as sons of God that he would be constrained to inquire about our Father. You cannot reveal God to those who do not seek for him; you cannot lead unwilling souls into the joys of salvation. Man must become hungry for truth as a result of the experiences of living, or he must desire to know God as the result of contact with the lives of those who are acquainted with the divine Father before another human being can act as the means of leading such a fellow mortal to the Father in heaven. If we know God, our real business on earth is so to live as to permit the Father to reveal himself in our lives, and thus will all God-seeking persons see the Father and ask for our help in finding out more about the God who in this manner finds expression in our lives.”.......cont>

http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1384#U132_7_0

Caino

Status
Not open for further replies.