The Intolerance of 'Tolerance', the Inequality of 'Equality' and Left Wing Hypocrisy

quip

BANNED
Banned
Harms homosexuals...in what way...not allowing you to publicly flaunt your fornicationKJV 1611 ?

No, that's freedom of expression. Are you against homosexuals' right to freedom of expression as well?

I'd say it harms them like it would harm you ....same as if your civil rights were being violated.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Following on from the title of this thread, I have just two questions I would like to ask. I'm interested to see how others answer these questions. Is 'tolerance' intolerant? Is 'equality' unequal?

People who espouse left wing political beliefs often see themselves as shining beacons of tolerance. They see themselves at the forefront of the fight for 'equality'. The problem is, those who see themselves as the most tolerant and enlightened people often seem to be completely intolerant of dissent from their ideals and beliefs. Those who see themselves as soldiers for equality see some people as more equal than others.

Take for example the case of Christianity vs the 'gay rights' movement. In almost all cases, those on the 'tolerant' liberal left side with homosexuals over Christians. In doing this, they become intolerant of those who do not subscribe to homosexual ideology and become complete hypocrites. The believe that equality should be extended to homosexuals at the expense of the rights of others who do not believe the same as them. In doing this, 'equality' treats Christians in an unequal way.

To look more at a case in point, one can look to the case of Asher's Bakery in Northern Ireland. The Christian owners of the bakery refused to bake a cake with the slogan 'Support Gay Marriage'. As a result of refusing to write this political slogan on a cake, the bakery are now being prosecuted in the name of 'equality' under equality laws all at the expense of the taxpayer. According to those on the left, it is unequal treatment to refuse to write such a slogan. Yet you can bet your bottom dollar if a Christian had walked into a bakery owned by homosexuals and asked for a cake saying 'marriage should only be between a man and woman for life', the left would be shouting out for the rights of the homosexual bakers to refuse to bake that cake. This is unbalanced, unfair and downright hypocritical. If those on the left wanted true equality, they would argue for the right of both bakers to refuse to write a slogan with which they disagree.

If those who claim to be tolerant are intolerant of those who they deem to be intolerant, is that not hypocrisy? If those who believe in equality only wish to extend those rights to those who believe how they do to the detriment of those who dissent, is that not hypocrisy?

What are your thoughts?

My first thought is that no hardware store in the world sells a broad enough brush for you.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
If you cannot be accountable for your own intolerance, racism, wrong-headedness and honest mistakes there is no reason to meet with you for a productive dialogue.

Cleekster

People who espouse left wing political beliefs often see themselves as shining beacons of tolerance.
They aren't the only ones who do this

The problem is, those who see themselves as the most tolerant and enlightened people often seem to be completely intolerant of dissent from their ideals and beliefs.
you mean like social conservatives and adherents of Christianity and Islam?
Those who see themselves as soldiers for equality see some people as more equal than others.
homosexuals are discriminated against so it IS equality and you trying to prevent them from having what you enjoy and getting upset about it is privilege.
Take for example the case of Christianity vs the 'gay rights' movement. In almost all cases, those on the 'tolerant' liberal left side with homosexuals over Christians.
and they should, discrimination is wrong....bigotry is wrong. you don't get to dictate peoples relationships just because of what an iron age book says.

they become intolerant of those who do not subscribe to homosexual ideology and become complete hypocrites
...change homosexual to Christian and it works just as well....just saying

The believe that equality should be extended to homosexuals at the expense of the rights of others who do not believe the same as them. In doing this, 'equality' treats Christians in an unequal way.
ok trade places the words homosexual and Christians...

Bakery in Northern Ireland. The Christian owners of the bakery refused to bake a cake with the slogan 'Support Gay Marriage'. As a result of refusing to write this political slogan on a cake, the bakery are now being prosecuted in the name of 'equality' under equality laws all at the expense of the taxpayer. According to those on the left, it is unequal treatment to refuse to write such a slogan. Yet you can bet your bottom dollar if a Christian had walked into a bakery owned by homosexuals and asked for a cake saying 'marriage should only be between a man and woman for life', the left would be shouting out for the rights of the homosexual bakers to refuse to bake that cake. This is unbalanced, unfair and downright hypocritical. If those on the left wanted true equality, they would argue for the right of both bakers to refuse to write a slogan with which they disagree.
There is a BIG difference between support for a cause and defining the rights of an entire segment of the population.

If those who believe in equality only wish to extend those rights to those who believe how they do to the detriment of those who dissent, is that not hypocrisy?
dude ...homosexuals are only asking for rights that you already enjoy

lovemeorhateme

They aren't the only ones who do this

you mean like social conservatives and adherents of Christianity and Islam?

It seems you're missing the point. I don't claim people should be tolerant of everyone or every belief, indeed many Christians aren't and don't claim to be. Yes many of those on the left do claim to be tolerant while being intolerant of anyone who dissents from their views.

homosexuals are discriminated against so it IS equality and you trying to prevent them from having what you enjoy and getting upset about it is privilege.
and they should, discrimination is wrong....bigotry is wrong. you don't get to dictate peoples relationships just because of what an iron age book says.

Homosexuals have never had it better, but many of them do love to play the victim card.

The word 'bigot' seems to have lost its meaning these days, it's used an awful lot against Christians yet some of the most intolerant bigots are homosexual activists, who seem to have a desire that everyone agree with them or be bullied into submission by being treated as a social outcast.

...change homosexual to Christian and it works just as well....just saying

ok trade places the words homosexual and Christians...

I once lived as a homosexual, now I am a Christian. I traded those labels in my own life. I've been on both sides of this one.

There is a BIG difference between support for a cause and defining the rights of an entire segment of the population.

Well it seems to be that if one doesn't support the 'gay rights' cause then ones rights will be taken away as is happening in cases like the bakery refusing to bake a cake with a political slogan on it.

dude ...homosexuals are only asking for rights that you already enjoy

They already have all of the same rights as anyone else, what they want is more rights. Extra rights.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...Homosexuals have never had it better, but many of them do love to play the victim card.
They also never had it nearly as good as heterosexuals. So many of them play the equality before the law card. Would you grant there's a difference between those two?

The word 'bigot' seems to have lost its meaning these days, it's used an awful lot against Christians yet some of the most intolerant bigots are homosexual activists, who seem to have a desire that everyone agree with them or be bullied into submission by being treated as a social outcast.
I tend to favor Merriam Webster, which has bigot as: a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc...especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group).

The trouble spots are "unfairly" and "accept". What constitutes that has a way of shifting from ideology to ideology. At law it's much simpler, provided you found the law in fact and reason.

I once lived as a homosexual, now I am a Christian. I traded those labels in my own life. I've been on both sides of this one.
That gives you a rare perspective, though there's also the ex smoker, ex anything tendency to go more strongly against the former position than someone who hasn't been where you were.

Well it seems to be that if one doesn't support the 'gay rights' cause then ones rights will be taken away as is happening in cases like the bakery refusing to bake a cake with a political slogan on it.
You didn't answer me the first time around, but here it is in a nutshell: you aren't losing a right when someone tells you that you can't discriminate against someone without justification at law. You never should have had the right to do that.

If the baker in question had been asked to write "Archer Bakery Supports Gay Rights" it would be one thing. To simply follow the instructions of a customer isn't an endorsement of the customer's position. You don't have to believe in marriage to make a wedding cake or the Torah to make a dreidel, by way of.

They already have all of the same rights as anyone else, what they want is more rights. Extra rights.
Nothing in that statement is true here. Can they marry where you live and in every legal respect find themselves in the same position as their heterosexual counterparts? I don't know where the law stands across the pond. And what extra rights?

Quincy

I don't think all that well of the way people use term tolerance. It always seems to have a negative connotation in the sense that one person/group has a right to allow another to be who they are or do what they want. I don't really think that's much better than being intolerant, especially with how some use it to try and make themselves seem like a better political choice.

When someone tells me they champion tolerance towards homosexuals or ethnic minorities, for example, I get that they're trying to imply something positive but still comes off as a pompous statement.

It takes me back to being in high school, in the late 90s. My school got it's first student of African descent then. The majority of students avoided him or even went so far as to treat him negatively while most of the rest didn't seem to like him or be all that interested in getting to know him, but they were highly against the haters who they saw as treating someone different wrongly. I remember wondering why none of them were treating like they would any one else they knew. He was another human being, period.

I think as long as people continue to look at others as groups that we either have to tolerate or not, we will always have problems.

lovemeorhateme

They also never had it nearly as good as heterosexuals. So many of them play the equality before the law card. Would you grant there's a difference between those two?

What many homosexual activists call 'equality' is far from that. For as in the example cited in the opening post many would damn that bakery for refusing to make that cake while if the boot was on the other foot they would demand the right to refuse service. Is there any difference between a Christian bakery refusing to write a pro-gay 'marriage' slogan and a homosexual bakery refusing to write an anti-gay 'marriage' slogan? I guarantee you that the homosexual activist when looking at the two situations would advocate unequal treatment before the law, yet dress it up and call it 'equality'.

I tend to favor Merriam Webster, which has bigot as: a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc...especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group).

Indeed, bigots can be of any flavour, belief or ideology. Though if one were to read the rhetoric of homosexual activists then it would be easy to think that bigotry could only ever come from religious people which is simply not the case.

That gives you a rare perspective, though there's also the ex smoker, ex anything tendency to go more strongly against the former position than someone who hasn't been where you were.

Indeed, one could use that analogy. I love others, I love those caught up in that lifestyle and desire to see them come to know Christ. I'm not homophobic, I don't hate.. and yet I've been called a hate-filled, homophobic bigot many times. If there is one thing that really brings on the intolerance and wrath of the homosexual community, it is going from living as an openly homosexual man to living the life I am now.

You didn't answer me the first time around, but here it is in a nutshell: you aren't losing a right when someone tells you that you can't discriminate against someone without justification at law. You never should have had the right to do that.

I cannot agree with that. I believe that any owner of a private business should have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason, at any time.

If the baker in question had been asked to write "Archer Bakery Supports Gay Rights" it would be one thing. To simply follow the instructions of a customer isn't an endorsement of the customer's position. You don't have to believe in marriage to make a wedding cake or the Torah to make a dreidel, by way of.

This wasn't a wedding cake, just to point out. This was a cake for a homosexual event which was a call to people to support homosexual 'marriage'.

Nothing in that statement is true here. Can they marry where you live and in every legal respect find themselves in the same position as their heterosexual counterparts? I don't know where the law stands across the pond. And what extra rights?

As it happens, homosexual 'marriage' is now fully legal in the UK. But yes, before that they had the same rights to enter into a marriage as anyone else. Just not a marriage with someone of the same gender.

As for extra rights, see my above comment about inequality before the law.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What many homosexual activists call 'equality' is far from that.
Having it better isn't the bar. If you were a black man in Selma in the 50s you never had it so good compared to your great grandfather, but better wasn't the bar. If you were a woman the year before Suffrage won the day you never had it so good compared to a women a few generations before that, and so on.

For as in the example cited in the opening post many would damn that bakery for refusing to make that cake while if the boot was on the other foot they would demand the right to refuse service.
Some likely would, but they'd be irrational and the law shouldn't accommodate them.

Is there any difference between a Christian bakery refusing to write a pro-gay 'marriage' slogan and a homosexual bakery refusing to write an anti-gay 'marriage' slogan?
No, they're both wrong it they customarily allow their patrons to have slogans put on their cakes.

I guarantee you that the homosexual activist when looking at the two situations would advocate unequal treatment before the law, yet dress it up and call it 'equality'.
And the opposing activist would declare his conscience being violated and his support being forced and they'd both be wrong to enforce that notion at law. So let's argue against irrational enforcement of subjective value and support a rational rule of law.

Indeed, bigots can be of any flavour, belief or ideology. Though if one were to read the rhetoric of homosexual activists then it would be easy to think that bigotry could only ever come from religious people which is simply not the case.
Same sort of thing from many zealots on the other side of it.

Indeed, one could use that analogy. I love others, I love those caught up in that lifestyle and desire to see them come to know Christ. I'm not homophobic, I don't hate.. and yet I've been called a hate-filled, homophobic bigot many times. If there is one thing that really brings on the intolerance and wrath of the homosexual community, it is going from living as an openly homosexual man to living the life I am now.
Well, those at the radical end are going to call you that. Likely others who aren't might be put off by the "never had it so good" approach and I think you could understand that.

I cannot agree with that. I believe that any owner of a private business should have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason, at any time.
Then you'd have perpetuated a segregated South (and parts elsewhere) for generations. That sort of latitude promotes an unintended tyranny of the majority, which is one reason we're not a democracy. Another problem is your private business will utilize and benefit by public works. That is, you are taking benefit from programs and services and support from tax dollars, many of which will be supplied by people who don't agree with you.

This wasn't a wedding cake, just to point out. This was a cake for a homosexual event which was a call to people to support homosexual 'marriage'.
Same answer. If you don't have a problem writing a Catholic slogan or a Rotarian slogan on your work then you're in the business of putting things on your cake with or without your tacit approval of the ideas or parties.

As it happens, homosexual 'marriage' is now fully legal in the UK.
Then they have the same protections at law.

But yes, before that they had the same rights to enter into a marriage as anyone else. Just not a marriage with someone of the same gender.
:plain: Like suggesting midgets have the same right to make the Air Force height requirement. Why even bother saying that?

As for extra rights, see my above comment about inequality before the law.
But given only the irrational could argue for that inequity and it isn't the actual point of any serious consideration of the actual laws and how they're examined why spend any real time on it? It's a bit like the conspiracy theorists for the most part. We know they're there, understand a lot of what they're saying and it moves and alters nothing at all. So outside of the novelty it gives the impression or can of someone attempting to taint a legitimate point by associating it with something no reasonable person would consider.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
If you were a black man in Selma in the 50s ...

oh for goodness sake - would you stop already with comparing the unjust perversion of the white south in denying justice to a group of people who did not choose the color of their skin to the disgusting perverts who choose to act like disgusting perverts?

or, if not, would you stop pretending that you're anything other than a leftist?

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Spoiler
civil-rights-march.jpg

vs

Spoiler
Gay-Pride-Parade-New-York-2009-294-3160x2759.jpg