ECT The Holy Con Artists

God's Truth

Yep this was me 100%. I ended up doing the very things I judged other people of doing. Legalism is deadly.
The only thing I would say is that I wasn't out to con people. I was conned.

For me it was motivated out of fear of being displeasing to God, that's how I was. The thought that God could not be pleased with me, was a horrible thought. And so the motivation of love is replaced with fear, and fear has torment. The desire to please God is so strong, that you are conned into thinking that, if your obedient life measures up to what you think God expects, then God will pour out blessings on you, and your acceptance is confirmed. In the words of Admiral Ackbar, "it's a trap". This kind of walk with God is miserable, because the more your desire is to measure up to God's expectations, the more weaknesses you see in yourself that need to be ruthlessly dealt with.
After being so ruthless with my own lifestyle, and pleased with my performance, I started to look over the fence at other peoples dirty washing, and frowning. The pharisee was out of the box. Inevitably it all leads to shipwreck, despair, failure, and disgrace, followed by the assumption that God could never love me again, because the fall is to great. Time for a new dose of God's love and grace, and a NEW CHURCH.

Ephesians 5:10 and find out what pleases the Lord.

Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Colossians 1:10
so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God,

God's Truth

If you will not accept what the bible says about the law with regards to salvation why should my feeble reasonings be of any interest to you?

What I have is the life of Christ in my soul, He lives in me.

If He dwells in YOU you will certainly be saved.

Jesus lives through us when we obey him.

We live through Jesus when we obey him.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
You are disobedient in the matter of submission to elders and even gathering with an assembly.

You despise the brethren

Right Divider

Body part
Jesus made me a part of his body.

We are put in Christ and live through him by obeying him.
You are a poser. Get saved.
Tit 3:4-8 KJV But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, (5) Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; (6) Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; (7) That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. (8) This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

God's Truth

You are a poser. Get saved.
Tit 3:4-8 KJV But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, (5) Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us,

The works of righteousness that Paul is speaking of is the ceremonial works. The ceremonial works were the works of righteousness that the Jews had, and the Gentiles did not obey.

by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
(6) Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; (7)

When we are saved, we are given the Holy Spirit, and at that time, the Holy Spirit regenerates us.

The Holy Spirit is given to those who OBEY. See Acts 5:32.

That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

No one has access to that grace until they have faith that Jesus' blood cleans them of their repented sins.

See Romans 5:2.

(8) This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

Be careful to maintain good works is proof that we have to keep obeying.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Please do not marginalize TOL threads or TOL members, the topics and threads that interest some TOL members might not interest you. Just ignore threads and TOL members that do not interest you.

GT you are marginalizing this thread with your trolling comments. I am going to ask you nicely to stop. The next time I ask, you are going to the penalty box.

Right Divider

Body part
The works of righteousness that Paul is speaking of is the ceremonial works. The ceremonial works were the works of righteousness that the Jews had, and the Gentiles did not obey.
Titus was a GENTILE that was NEVER under the CEREMONIAL laws, you false teacher.

When we are saved, we are given the Holy Spirit, and at that time, the Holy Spirit regenerates us.
That's NOT what Paul says.

The Holy Spirit is given to those who OBEY. See Acts 5:32.
Why don't you actually try reading the scripture IN CONTEXT?
Act 5:31-32 KJV Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins. (32) And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.
You are a scripture twister, which make you a liar. Get saved!

No one has access to that grace until they have faith that Jesus' blood cleans them of their repented sins.

See Romans 5:2.
In Romans 4 Paul goes to great length to prove that Abraham was justified by his FAITH and NOT his WORKS. How did you miss that?

Also, why don't you go ahead and read the REST of Romans 5?
Rom 5:12-21 KJV Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (13) (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. (14) Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come. (15) But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many. (16) And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification. (17) For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) (18) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. (19) For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. (20) Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: (21) That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
The Lord Jesus Christ is the ONE righteous, not you!
The free gift of salvation comes by the obedience of ONE, not you!

You are NOT the Savior. Jesus Christ the Savior!

Be careful to maintain good works is proof that we have to keep obeying.
If "keep obeying" was a requirement to "keep saved", it would say something FAR stronger than "be careful".

God's Truth

GT you are marginalizing this thread with your trolling comments. I am going to ask you nicely to stop. The next time I ask, you are going to the penalty box.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I am discussing this topic, and answering questions that are asked of me.

What exactly do you not want me to do?

God's Truth

Titus was a GENTILE that was NEVER under the CEREMONIAL laws, you false teacher.

Gentiles were separated from God because they did not obey the ceremonial works.

That's NOT what Paul says.

Why don't you actually try reading the scripture IN CONTEXT?
Act 5:31-32 KJV Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins. (32) And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.
You are a scripture twister, which make you a liar. Get saved!

The scripture plainly says the Holy Spirit is given to those who obey.

In Romans 4 Paul goes to great length to prove that Abraham was justified by his FAITH and NOT his WORKS. How did you miss that?

Circumcision is the work spoken of.

Circumcision is mentioned like nine times in that Chapter. How can you miss it?
Also, why don't you go ahead and read the REST of Romans 5?
Rom 5:12-21 KJV Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (13) (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. (14) Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come. (15) But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many. (16) And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification. (17) For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) (18) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. (19) For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. (20) Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: (21) That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
The Lord Jesus Christ is the ONE righteous, not you!

I am righteous for having faith and doing what Jesus says.

Our obedience leads us to righteousness see Romans 6:16.

We are righteous because we obey the perfect law see Romans 2:13.

We do what is right; therefore, we are righteous see 1 John 3:12.

The righteous requirements of the law are fully met in me and all those saved, those who live according to the Spirit, See Romans 8:4.

Righteous acts see Revelation 19:8

We are to offer the parts of our body to Him as instruments of righteousness. Romans 6:13

We are under control of righteousness Romans 6:20

We are to live a righteous life James 1:20

Righteous for what we do James 2:21, 25

Even Noah was a preacher of righteousness before Jesus came and died for sinners. 2 Peter 2:5.

Even Abraham, when he offered his son as a sacrifice, see James 2:21.

Even Rahab the prostitute, see James 2:25.

By faith Abel offered God a better sacrifice than Cain did. By faith he was commended as a righteous man, Hebrews 11:4.

1 John 3:12 Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own actions were evil and his brother's were righteous.

The free gift of salvation comes by the obedience of ONE, not you!

You are NOT the Savior. Jesus Christ the Savior!

If "keep obeying" was a requirement to "keep saved", it would say something FAR stronger than "be careful".

Jesus warns us for a reason.

MarcATL

Yep this was me 100%. I ended up doing the very things I judged other people of doing. Legalism is deadly.
The only thing I would say is that I wasn't out to con people. I was conned.

For me it was motivated out of fear of being displeasing to God, that's how I was. The thought that God could not be pleased with me, was a horrible thought. And so the motivation of love is replaced with fear, and fear has torment. The desire to please God is so strong, that you are conned into thinking that, if your obedient life measures up to what you think God expects, then God will pour out blessings on you, and your acceptance is confirmed. In the words of Admiral Ackbar, "it's a trap". This kind of walk with God is miserable, because the more your desire is to measure up to God's expectations, the more weaknesses you see in yourself that need to be ruthlessly dealt with.
After being so ruthless with my own lifestyle, and pleased with my performance, I started to look over the fence at other peoples dirty washing, and frowning. The pharisee was out of the box. Inevitably it all leads to shipwreck, despair, failure, and disgrace, followed by the assumption that God could never love me again, because the fall is to great. Time for a new dose of God's love and grace, and a NEW CHURCH.
What church was that?