The Heretics Message to the World:Be Baptized to be Saved! (HOF thread)

John Gault

Sorry, Jerry, had some personal items.

Sorry, Jerry, had some personal items.

Jerry:

I've got an eight-month-old and sometimes things get hectic.

Okay, so, by the authority of Scripture you are at liberty to disregard Scripture.

You, see, this is where Calvinism breaks down. You're not being honest with yourself or God. And in case you haven't heard, GOD IS NOT A CALVINIST.

RightIdea

Originally posted by Jerry Shugart
So add all the words to Scripture that you want,but that does not change the answer Paul gave to the question as to how one is saved:

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ,and thou shalt be saved"(Acts16:31).

In His grace,--Jerry

Confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus Christ is Lord, and that God rose Him from the dead, and you shall be saved.

... and if you get baptized? ... and if you go to church? ... and if you tithe? ... and if you follow the "10 Commandments?" (Which 10???)

No. Confess with your mouth and believe in your heart... and you will be saved. Period. Paul said he didn't come to baptize, and was glad he didn't baptize many of them because it would have been a hindrance, not a blessing.

I have never been baptized in water. I have been baptized by the Holy Spirit, and I have eternal life. And nothing can take that away from me.

Freak

Originally posted by RightIdea

Confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus Christ is Lord, and that God rose Him from the dead, and you shall be saved.

... and if you get baptized? ... and if you go to church? ... and if you tithe? ... and if you follow the "10 Commandments?" (Which 10???)

No. Confess with your mouth and believe in your heart... and you will be saved. Period. Paul said he didn't come to baptize, and was glad he didn't baptize many of them because it would have been a hindrance, not a blessing.

I have never been baptized in water. I have been baptized by the Holy Spirit, and I have eternal life. And nothing can take that away from me.

According to JustaChristian you will still go to hell.

But thank God according to the Scriptures you have eternal life.

Jesus was perfectly clear-For God so loved the world that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

John Gault

Myopia.

Myopia.

Let me say that I was attracted to this thread because it labeled me a heretic.

Heretic or not, ONLY GOD WILL JUDGE ME. Moreover, He will not be using a Calvinist compendium at my judgment.

All of this “only” and “period” nonsense just is not in the Scriptures. It is precisely because you are seeing the limitations of your dogma that you use exclusionary or absolute terms like “only” and “period.” But the plain language in Scripture does not afford you that luxury. I wonder, are you all trial lawyers?

Talk about myopic vision. Using Paul’s rebuke of personality cults to explain away Acts 2:38, Acts 8:36 or even Galatians 3:27 is inexcusable. Are we to disregard the Great Commission in Matthew because Paul said he did not come to baptize? Who’s the heretic around here?

Doesn’t it bother you that your dogma pooh-poohs so much Scripture?

If the faith of a child is sufficient to understand the Kingdom of God, why all the systematic theology?

Is the Holy Spirit sufficient as a teacher, or are five hundred year old doctrines preferable?

While I’m sure I sound like a Campbellite, I am not. I am not trying to discredit anyone’s conversion and I am smart enough to know that one’s salvation is not dependent on whether or not I think they met the criteria as I understand it.

Jerry Shugart

John:

Is that the way that you address verses that do not fit your ideas?

Just ignore them and instead of addressing them you call me a Calvinist.Well,ask some of the Calvinsts on this forum,and the will tell you that I am no Calvinist.

Show me the error of my interpretation of the Scriptures which demonstrate that the sinner is born of God,and this birth is not of the will of man.

Then you can give me any verse you want that you thinks support your position that submitting to the rite of water baptism is a condition of eternal salvation.Then I will answer it.

In His grace,--Jerry

Jerry Shugart

JustAChristian,

Does Bibical "faith" come from the efforts of man?Is "believing" a function of the will?

Of couse not.You cannot "will" yourself to believe something that you do not think is true.You know that five plus five is ten.No matter how hard you try,you cannot "will" yourself to believe that five plus five equals nine.

It is impossible to "will" yourself into believing something that you do not think is true.

So when the sinner is born again by the word of God his "will" is not involved.

In His grace,--Jerry

c.moore

You are saved when you believe and with your heart, and water baptism can not save you , this is correct.

But I would like to advice you to get baptized just because you are following Christ, and it is God will to get water baptized but not to gain or earn salvation.
Please don`t get me wrong , you will go to heaven even if you don`t get baptized, but in your walk the Baptism should be in your christian walk praise God , so if you get a chance get baptized just to be in the will of God.

God Bless you my saved brother:thumb:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
BTW...Happy Birthday C. Moore

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Sorry For The Butt-in!

Re: Re: Sorry For The Butt-in!

Originally posted by Freak

JustWorks-

God's Word declares:

Those He justified, He also glorified.

If you have been justified by faith God promises to glorify you. Looks like this is pretty secure to me.

I asked Freak a simple question earlier...

Just have one question. Why did Paul and the other New Testament writers send us so many letters warning us not to be careless with out Christianity? (1 Cor 10:12 et al)

I don't know why Freak didn't answer the question. It is such a simple question. No hard words in it to misunderstand. No unusual sentence structure. I just can't understand why he didn't answer it. Funny, HopeOfGlory wouldn't answer my question either. Hmmm...

JustAChristian :angel:

JustAChristian

You haven't answered my question either...

You haven't answered my question either...

Originally posted by Jerry Shugart
JustAChristian,

Does Bibical "faith" come from the efforts of man?Is "believing" a function of the will?

Of couse not.You cannot "will" yourself to believe something that you do not think is true.You know that five plus five is ten.No matter how hard you try,you cannot "will" yourself to believe that five plus five equals nine.

It is impossible to "will" yourself into believing something that you do not think is true.

In His grace,--Jerry

Then, as I asked you before, what does it mean to "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ?" Does man have a part in his salvation?

JustAChristian
:angel:

JustAChristian

Just Wanting To Help...

Just Wanting To Help...

I have noticed how ignorant you are of organizing your argument. Do you mean that a person never has to repent of sins in order to be saved. You say one is to confess with the mouth and believe in the heart (only) and they will be saved. Isn't that what you say? Well, what about repentance? (Luke 13:3,5). Maybe you believe someone can be saved without being in the family of God. Don't you know that the family of God is the church, and that getting into the church requires one to be baptized? Let's look at this closer.

There are but two passages of Scripture that we can recall, that tells us how one gets into Christ. In Rom. 6:3 Paul wrote, "Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?" Again he wrote, "For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ" (Gal. 3:27). How does one get into Christ? Paul's answer -- one is "baptized into Christ." There is no other way into Christ! We get into Christ in precisely the same way that we get into the one body (1 Cor. 12:13), therefore, being in Christ is the same thing as being in his body, the church.

What about Holy Spirit baptism? It is never used in this term. Do you realize that Holy Spirit baptism was never given as a command? How could it be? It was administered by deity, not men. And it was administered at a time and under circumstances chosen by deity, not by men. Water baptism, on the other hand, was given by command (Acts 2:38; Acts 10:47,48; Acts 22:16). This is a baptism administered by men, and when performed scripturally is approved of God. And it is a baptism men submit to of their own free will. At a time of their choosing, in obedience to the Lord's command.

Just trying to give you something to think about awhile. Untold thousands before you have done so and have been saved by obedience to the scriptures (Heb. 5:8-9).

JustAChristian

Freak

Re: Re: Re: Sorry For The Butt-in!

Re: Re: Re: Sorry For The Butt-in!

Originally posted by JustAChristian

I asked Freak a simple question earlier...

Just have one question. Why did Paul and the other New Testament writers send us so many letters warning us not to be careless with out Christianity? (1 Cor 10:12 et al)

I don't know why Freak didn't answer the question. It is such a simple question. No hard words in it to misunderstand. No unusual sentence structure. I just can't understand why he didn't answer it. Funny, HopeOfGlory wouldn't answer my question either. Hmmm...

JustAChristian :angel:

We ought to be careful for we are witnessess. So, there is your answer. Simple. Not difficult at all.

Again the Scriptures are clear:

Those He justified, He also glorified.

John Gault

You're Kung Fu is better than mine.

You're Kung Fu is better than mine.

Jerry:

You win. I am vanquished.

When the flames of Hell are licking my behind I'll remember that you tried with steer me away from my heretical path. While I sought to cross swords with you you, in turn, responded with humility and without vainglory as all of your posts on TOL can testify.

You tried to save my soul but I only called you names.

Please respond to my post so that everyone can read your acceptance of my surrender. I would never accuse you of trying to have the last word.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

Re: You haven't answered my question either...

Re: You haven't answered my question either...

Originally posted by JustAChristian

Then, as I asked you before, what does it mean to "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ?" Does man have a part in his salvation?

JustAChristian
:angel:

JustAChristian,

What does it mean to believe in Jesus Christ,you ask.

The Apostle John says that he wrote his gospel "that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ,the Son of God;and that believing ye might have life through His Name"(Jn.20:31).

And Scripture also reveals that it is by believing these things that a man is "born of God":

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of GOd...for whatever is born of God overcometh the world;and this is the victory that overcometh the world,EVEN OUR FAITH"(1Jn.5:1,4).

To have Bibical faith is to believe the testimony that has been given to us concerning the Lord Jesus Christ.

And belief in that testimony brings everlasting life.And that is why the "gosep" is called "the power of salvation to everyone who believeth"(Ro.1:16).

Is that so hard to understand?

It is His word concerning the Lord Jesus that saves us.We are "born of God",and that process does not involve the will of man nor does it involve the will of the flesh.

And you ask if man has a part in his salvation?

How plain do the words have to be?

Paul states that the "gospel" is "the power of God unto salvation to EVERYONE WHO BELIEVETH"(Ro.1:16).

A man has a part in his salvation,and that part is BELIEVING!

In His grace,--Jerry

Kevin

Jerry,

The sinner is born again by the word of God, yes. But why? Because when a person hears the gospel of Jesus Christ, they will also, upon belief, hear the command to be baptized, for it was commanded by Christ (Matt. 28:19,20)

The only way for one to be born again is for a death to occur, for one cannot continue to live in sin and be born again into the Spirit at the same time. It's impossible. A death must occur for the new life to begin. If we want to live with Christ, we must also die with Christ (2 Tim 2:11).

Now, the ONLY Biblical way to die with Christ is through baptism, as stated in Romans 6:3-4. Therefore, because one must be reborn to see heaven:

• A death must occur that a new life may begin, or esle, one cannot be reborn, and thus cannot see heaven (John 3:3)
  • The only Biblical method of dying with Christ is through baptism (Romans 6:3-4)
  • Therefore baptism is necessary for salvation because it is the only Biblical example on how one dies with Christ, and one must die with Christ to live with Christ (2 Tim 2:11), and also because one must be reborn (which is necessary for salvation), being dead to sin and alive to God through Christ (Romans 6:11)

And yes, baptism is certainly a willful act for man to do.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

Kevin,

Scripture reveals that it is by the Holy Spirit that one is baptized INTO CHRIST (1Cor.12:13,27).

And Scripture also states that "as many of us as were BAPTIZED INTO JESUS CHRIST were baptized into His death"(Ro.6:3).

We are BAPTIZED into Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit,and we are also baptized into His death by the Holy Spirit.

There are NO VERSES--ZERO,ZILCH--NO VERSES that ever say that anyone is baptized INTO JESUS CHRIST by a "water baptism".

In fact,those who were baptized with water were not baptized INTO JESUS CHRIST,but instead were baptized IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST!

Can you not tell the DIFFERENCE between being baptized INTO Jesus Christ and being baptized IN THE NAME of Jesus Christ?

In the meantime,you do not even address the words that state that the process of being "born of God" has NOTHING at all to do with the "will of man":

"Who were born,not of blood,nor of the will of the flesh,NOR OF THE WILL OF MAN,but of God"(Jn.1:13).

A sinner is "born of God" when he believes the "word of God":

"Being born again,not of corruptible seed,but of incorruptible,BY THE WORD OF GOD"(1Pet.1:23).

The sinner is born again at the very moment when he hears and believes the word of God.Anything which he might do AFTER that,such as submitting to a rite of water baptism,has nothing whatsoever to do with his born again experience.

In His grace,--Jerry

Apollos

With God nothing is impossible. What can God do with WATER ???

With God nothing is impossible. What can God do with WATER ???

Hey Jerry -

Not that Kevin needs any help, but I just need a hit&run tonight!!

1 Corinthians 12:13 tells us that it is by the Holy Spirit (by His direction and this through the word) that we are all (water) baptized in the the body of Christ.

To say otherwise is to ignore...

1.) What started taking place in Acts Chapter 2 when the body/church was begun by the HS - they were baptized (water) when they received the word !!! -and-

2.) To say 1 Cor. 12:13 says otherwise is to TOTALLY ignore both what Paul ws preaching and practicing at the very time !!!

And when Paul penned Romans 6, he was teaching and practicing WATER baptism !!! Paul never commanded HS baptism. No one is ever told to "get" HS baptism. HS baptism happened ONLY in Acts 2 and 10 - this in fulfillment of promise and prophecy. HS baptism is NEVER equated with remission of sins !!!

Every passage that says we are "baptized into Jesus Christ" means WATER baptism !!! There is no other baptism that places one INTO Christ except WATER baptism! The main problem here, beyond the prejudice and preconception given out for years by false teachers and "quick salvation" convenience practioners, is that none of the anti-baptists know what "baptism IN THE NAME of Jesus Christ" IS or what it is FOR or even WHY they should receive it !!!

When man submits his WILL to the WILL of God, then and only then can salvation take place !!! Man must make a mental decision (a willful act) to follow, submit, conform his life to the will of God. All the playful semantics in the world will not change this fact!!

And there is not ONE passage that tells us that "faith (belief) only saves, or that one is saved when he hears and ("truly") believes !! That is also true of that "sinner's prayer" trash - there ain't no such thing !!!

WATER baptism is the means through which man appropriates the salvation (forgiveness of sins) God offers man by His grace and made possible by the blood of Jesus Christ !!!

Ask Naaman if God can put "remission" in water !!!

Ask the blind man of John 9 if God can put "remission" in water !!!

Herein is the marvel, that He is trying to open your eyes, yet you will not see !!!

Kevin

On the contrary...

On the contrary...

Hello Jerry. :)

Scripture reveals that it is by the Holy Spirit that one is baptized INTO CHRIST (1Cor.12:13,27).

Yes, and I agree with this verse. The difference is that you believe that this is referring the literal falling of the Holy Spirit as it happened to the Apostles in Acts 2:4 and the Gentiles in Acts 10:44. You believe that "The sinner is born again at the very moment when he hears and believes the word of God."

I do not believe this. The Holy Spirit is what convicts us of our sins (John 16:9). Did not Peter, when he spoke to the Jews in Acts chapter 2, speak by the authority of Christ through the Holy Spirit? Yes. He spoke through the Holy Spirit, which convicted the Jews of their sins (Acts 2:37), and as a result of that conviction by the Holy Spirit, they obeyed the command of baptism for the remission of their sins (verse 38), thus being alive to God, being reborn. The Jews were baptized into Christ. But if it were not for the Holy Spirit, convicting of them their sins, they would have never been baptized for the remission of their sins. By means of the Holy Spirit, they were baptized into one body, into Christ. So yes, it is by one Spirit that we are baptized into Christ (1Cor.12:13)

Also, for your view to be correct, that a person is baptized by the Holy Spirit upon hearing and believing, then I would invite you to explain why it did not happen to the Samaritans when they believed the gospel (Acts 8:12,15,16). Why didn't the Holy Spirit fall upon them when they believed the gospel, Jerry? The were, however, baptized in the name of the Lord for the remission of their sins (verse 12,16).

We are BAPTIZED into Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit,and we are also baptized into His death by the Holy Spirit.

We are baptized because of the convicting power of the Holy Spirit which leads to belief, repentance, and baptism - just as it happened at Pentacost. We are NOT baptized into His death by the Holy Spirit Himself, but rather by being baptized in Jesus's name for the remission of sins because of the conviction of the Holy Spirit. To be baptized in the name of Christ is to be baptized into Christ, and I will give evidence of this shortly.

There are NO VERSES--ZERO,ZILCH--NO VERSES that ever say that anyone is baptized INTO JESUS CHRIST by a "water baptism".

I have evidence to show that being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, which is done with water, is being baptized into His death (thus into Christ), and is the ONE baptism spoken of in Eph 4:5. Consider the following:

• You rightly say that the baptism spoken of in Romans 6 is speaking of the baptism "into Christ". In that chapter, it stresses that through baptism we die with Him (Romans 6:3-4), putting away our old man of sin, no longer being slaves to sin (verse 6). It is he who has died with Christ through baptism who is "freed from sin". In otherwords, if you have died with Him through baptism, you are free from sins.
  • In Acts 2:38, the Jews were given a command to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for what? The remission of sins. So, in Romans 6, which speaks of being baptized into Christ, we see that it frees us from sin (Romans 6:7). Being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ is also for the remission of sins - that we may be freed from sin! Coincidence? I think not. Acts 2:38 and Romans 6 are speaking of the same baptism... and it would only be appropriate for only ONE baptism was command by Christ, the one in His name (Matt. 28:19-20)! And that's exactly what the apostles preached and practiced. The practiced what they preached.
  • Being baptized in the name of the Lord, which is for the remission of sins, is done with water (Acts 10:47-48), and is for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38), which is exactly what Romans 6 speaks of - being free from sin by dying with Christ through baptism. A person who is dead to sin is alive God through Christ (Romans 6:11) - and that certainly fits the definition of a rebirth.
  • Paul, who wrote about being baptized into Christ in Romans 6, baptized in the name of the Lord (1 Cor. 1:16, Acts 19:5), don't you think that Paul would practice the same baptism that HE wrote about in Romans 6? Yes. Why? Because the Lord commanded it to be so. (Matt 28:19-20)
  • Baptism in the name of Christ is the ONE baptism spoken of in Eph. 4:5. Paul, who practiced baptism in the name of the Lord, did so because it was commanded that all should be baptized in the name of Christ (Matt. 28: 19,20). This commandment was given for man to carry out, not God. Man cannot baptize with the Holy Spirit, but he can baptize with water in the name of the Lord for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38), putting them into Christ and alive to God (Romans 6:11). This is indeed the ONE baptism spoken of, for it is the only one that man could carry out, as commanded by their Lord. Why would Paul write about a ONE baptism in Romans 6 that he didn't practice and wasn't the one that man could fulfill as order by Christ? Don't you think Paul practiced what he preached? He did, just look at Acts 19:5 and 1 Cor 1:16. So Spirit baptism cannot be the ONE baptism because the ONE baptism that was commanded by Christ was commanded that MAN carry out, who CANNOT baptize with the Holy Spirit.
  • Holy Spirit baptism was never commanded of men. Don't you think that if Spirit baptism was the ONE baptism, the one that frees us from sins and puts us into Christ, that it would be command by Christ? It wasn't. There's not ONE verse that commands Spirit baptism.

In fact,those who were baptized with water were not baptized INTO JESUS CHRIST,but instead were baptized IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST!

Can you not tell the DIFFERENCE between being baptized INTO Jesus Christ and being baptized IN THE NAME of Jesus Christ?

See above. I've shown Biblical paralells and reasoning that being baptized in His name is indeed being baptized into Him.

In the meantime,you do not even address the words that state that the process of being "born of God" has NOTHING at all to do with the "will of man":

I'm not sure what scripture you are referring to, but I can tell you without a doubt that you are interpreting that incorrectly. It has nothing to do with man in the sense that it not POSSIBLE to be born again without the grace of God. If God had not sent His Son to die, could we be born again? No. If God had not sent down His Spirit to convict us of our sins and teach us the truth, could we be born again? No. Why? Because conviction wouldn't be there, nor would repentance, and nor could anybody ever be baptized into His death if He wasn't sent to us in the first place. No rebirth would be possible. God did all this, not man. It is not the will of man that made this possible.

However it IS the will of man to accept God's grace. We have free will to decide that. God doesn't want any to perish (2 Peter 3:9), but obviously, some will.

When the Jews in Acts 2 were convicted of their sins, and given the command to repent and be baptized in the name of Christ for the remission of sins, nobody forced them into baptism, they did it out of their own free will.

"Being born again,not of corruptible seed,but of incorruptible,BY THE WORD OF GOD"(1Pet.1:23).

ONLY if that word is obey. You can hear the gospel. You can believe the gospel. But if you don't obey the gospel, hell awaits (2 Thess. 1:8). Christ is the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him (Heb 5:9).

We are born again by the word of God because one hears, believes, repents, and is baptized, just as the Jews in Acts 2 and many many other examples in the book of Acts. Those are examples of obeying the gospel. Without the word, one would never hear, believe, repent, or obey the command of baptism in His name for the remission of sins - thus being dead to sin and alive to God through Christ (Romans 6:11) - thus being reborn!

The sinner is born again at the very moment when he hears and believes the word of God.

Then what happened to the Samaratins in Acts 8, when the HS didn't fall upon them when they believed? Why weren't they Spirit baptized as you say happens upon belief? How did they die with Christ upon belief? They didn't, which is exactly why they were baptized, which is the ONLY Biblical way to die with Christ, in the name of the Lord for the remission of their sins, thus dying so that they may live with Him (2 Tim. 2:11).

And if one is instantly born again after hearing and believing, why did Peter command the Jews to be water baptized in Acts 2:38 and the Gentiles in Acts 10:47-48? What is the purpose of baptism in His name? Why do you think Christ commanded it? Back it with scripture

Anything which he might do AFTER that,such as submitting to a rite of water baptism,has nothing whatsoever to do with his born again experience.

Sure it does. For a death must occur for new life to begin, and baptism is the ONLY Biblical method given for dying with Christ (Romans 6:3-4). And this is not speaking of Spirit baptism for reasons stated above. If we want to live with Christ, we must die with Him also (2 Tim. 2:11). It is water baptism in the name of the Lord, which is what was commanded by Christ, practiced by the apostles, and obeyed by believers for the remission of their sins, thus being dead to sin and alive to God and being reborn.

Freak

Jerry good points!

"There are NO VERSES--ZERO,ZILCH--NO VERSES that ever say that anyone is baptized INTO JESUS CHRIST by a "water baptism"."