The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

LightSon

Originally posted by bmyers
Sorry, but I wasn't the one who said it DID. If you will be so kind as to look a bit earlier in the thread, you will find that this was argued by one apparently firmly in the Christian (and apparently literal-interpretation) camp. I can't presume to speak for that person, but my comment was directed to that original assertion.
Sorry. My aim was clearly off. I stand corrected.
As to "keeping an open mind," I would certainly hope that I always do so, and could only ask that others here do as well. Oddly enough, though, when I find I am being asked to "keep an open mind" about something, the person who is asking me this is themselves not willing to consent to the most fundamental thing required for a truly "open mind" - to constantly admit to the possibility that their own beliefs are in error. I strive to do this; to claim an interest in discussing a topic without the possibility that one's own beliefs can be changed by that discussion has always seemed to me to be the height of insincerity. So I ask - are all here truly keeping an "open mind"?
Fair question. I try to keep an open mind. I have been wrong about many positions. Such leads me to hedge about current positions which may be wrong.

There are different levels of scrutiny in faith and doctrine. There are matters subjective and objective. I am always looking for prejudice within my views.

Even concerning the most fundamental of assumptions, the existence of God, I will admit that there have been moments when my faith has waned sufficiently as to raise the question. This is a dangerous proposition for me for personal reasons. I am alive today because of my faith in God, which I believe to be a gift from Him. For me to reject God is to reject life. If God does not exist, then the best we can hope for is dust and oblivion. To embrace such an eventuality is a non starter for me.
Originally posted by LightSon
I would argue that scripture is usually relevant, provided it is truth. I recognize that to many "the fundamentalist, literal-interpretation" is a joke and the word "fundamentalist" is often used as a pejorative.
I hope that you can accept that I did not intend it as such. My intent was to use it as an accurate description of a given set of beliefs, and indeed those who adhere to such beliefs have often, at least in my experience, applied this label to themselves. If there is a better word, I will certainly use it instead.
I accept your word on that.

Both terms have legitimate and significant meaning to me and I do apply the labels to my worldview as I define them. I stop short of promulgating their usage, due to disparate definitions. Since to many, the terms are a negative epithet, by using them, I put myself under an unnecessary disadvantage before clarification can be possible.
Yes, but to be complete one would have to add "in the opinion of those who believe in the Bible." In short, this claim of veracity by itself will not be sufficient to convince someone who does NOT already believe in the correctness of the Bible to change that opinion. From an "outside," objective position, it is an argument of the form:

"X is true."

"How do we know this?"

"Because X says so!"

...which I hope you will agree is not especially satisfying.
I do agree. If that was all the Bible had to support its claims, I would reject it as an authority.

Curtsibling

Originally posted by taxpayerslavery
Stating it the way I do displays the level of faith I have in the Bible. Since it is faith, I won't need to prove my convictions. Those who disagree would have to prove that I am wrong and I would find it very interesting if they could. I am confident enough to say they could not. This confidence provides a witness of the truth for you, if you want to look at it that way.

As long as you accept you cannot always prove other strong-willed people wrong, then we have equality.

I too am rock-solid in my beliefs, and fighting ten Normandy attacks is easier than getting me to back down on my views.

It is good to see a man of conviction like yourself.
But always be ready for the unexpected!

God doesn't value faith because it is easy. Unbelief is infectious. I am afraid that the atheists will undermine everybody's God given rights by undermining the foundation of the documents which made this country great. I would prefer that they move to France so that we can be one nation under God.
Erik

You will find the men in power only worship one deity - the coin.

America is not the same nation it was in 1776, Erik....:nono:

And there is nothing wrong with the French people, again it is down to greedy, arrogant politicians.

regards,
Curt

Last edited:

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Even concerning the most fundamental of assumptions, the existence of God, I will admit that there have been moments when my faith has waned sufficiently as to raise the question. This is a dangerous proposition for me for personal reasons. I am alive today because of my faith in God, which I believe to be a gift from Him. For me to reject God is to reject life. If God does not exist, then the best we can hope for is dust and oblivion. To embrace such an eventuality is a non starter for me.

While I certainly respect that position, I'd like to offer a slightly different perspective.

I don't see it as in any way "dangerous" to raise the question of God's existence, and in fact I would suggest that everyone would be well advised to very seriously consider that question on a regular basis. To question something is not, in itself, a sign of weakness of belief in that proposition. I see it instead as a means of validating that belief. If a given belief is not strong enough to withstand regular questioning, then I feel that it's best to discover that as soon as possible (and hopefully in the process understand exactly why the belief failed, and find a better option to replace it). If, on the other hand, the belief does withstand the question, I believe that it comes out all the better for the experience. The quote I use in my signature, from Bertrand Russell, sums up this position quite nicely, I think.

If I might be so bold as to borrow a Biblical parable - you no doubt recall the tale of the two houses, one built upon the rock and the other upon the sand. The parable is supposed to show us that a belief which has a firm foundation will withstand anything. But it's also important to keep in mind that you can't tell those two houses apart UNTIL they've been through the storm. Testing before the "real storm" hits is a GOOD thing.

LightSon

While I certainly respect that position, I'd like to offer a slightly different perspective.

I don't see it as in any way "dangerous" to raise the question of God's existence, and in fact I would suggest that everyone would be well advised to very seriously consider that question on a regular basis. To question something is not, in itself, a sign of weakness of belief in that proposition. I see it instead as a means of validating that belief. If a given belief is not strong enough to withstand regular questioning, then I feel that it's best to discover that as soon as possible (and hopefully in the process understand exactly why the belief failed, and find a better option to replace it). If, on the other hand, the belief does withstand the question, I believe that it comes out all the better for the experience. The quote I use in my signature, from Bertrand Russell, sums up this position quite nicely, I think.

If I might be so bold as to borrow a Biblical parable - you no doubt recall the tale of the two houses, one built upon the rock and the other upon the sand. The parable is supposed to show us that a belief which has a firm foundation will withstand anything. But it's also important to keep in mind that you can't tell those two houses apart UNTIL they've been through the storm. Testing before the "real storm" hits is a GOOD thing.
Thanks.
I've often said that the truth should be able to stand up to scrutiny.
I've gotta leave and run some errands, but will consider what you have written. I'm a little uncomfortable about having Christ's words co-opted by Mr. Russell. Nevertheless,,,,,

I'd like you perspective on why not believing in God would be better. Of course if true, then that may be enough.

To me, a sincerely belief in God has lifestyle repercussions. Conversely, to reject God or the possibility of His existence, likewise means something w.r.t. how I behave.

Perhaps I should put on my atheist hat, and paint a picture of my life without God. I can almost assure you it would not be an altruistic approach to life. Without God, there is no reason for me to do anything but what I choose to do. Would you agree?

I am basically a very selfish person. Without the influence of God in my life, any "good"ness you see in me would quickly evaporate.

Christ is the rock on which I've built my life. I have experienced storms, although not as severe as some. What possible storm can blow me down?

Psalm 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Unbelief is infectious.
And I take supreme pleasure in spreading it around...
I am afraid that the atheists will undermine everybody's God given rights by undermining the foundation of the documents which made this country great.
Jumping from the PoA to the ToE; a very big stretch, that.
I would prefer that they move to France so that we can be one nation under God.
The only way your kind will be assured of removing the Atheist Menace™ is by converting them or killing them, and you're better off with the latter, because the former is a fruitless endeavour...

RogerB

Originally posted by Gerald
The only way your kind will be assured of removing the Atheist Menace™ is by converting them or killing them, and you're better off with the latter, because the former is a fruitless endeavour...

:thumb:

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod

I'd like your perspective on why not believing in God would be better. Of course if true, then that may be enough.

To me, a sincerely belief in God has lifestyle repercussions. Conversely, to reject God or the possibility of His existence, likewise means something w.r.t. how I behave.

I'm afraid you may be working under an incorrect assumption. If you'll read my few postings so far carefully, I think you will find that I have NOT at any point claimed to be an atheist. I have merely pointed out some (unfortunately common) errors in certain arguments advanced by theists.

I am, in fact, NOT an atheist. I consider myself an agnostic. Now, many (on both sides of that position!) consider agnosticism to be merely "atheism without conviction," but that is by no means the sense in which I would use the word to identify myself. Simply put, I do not believe that the question "Is there a God?" to be answerable with certainty EITHER WAY. There is, so far as I can tell, insufficient evidence to conclude that there MUST be a God. But conversely, an absence of evidence is not evidence of absence - and it remains completely possible that there IS a being worthy of the title. But it is the nature of most definitions of "God" - including any that I've seen proposed here - that the being they describe could never be proven to exist, while it is at the same time impossible to prove that a God CANNOT exist per ANY definition. So I am forced to mark the question as unanswered, and very likely unanswerable.

Having said that, it's also important to note that very, very few of the discussions here ever have to do with "God" in the broad sense. I think that everyone would agree that any God worthy of the title, if one does exist, would be beyond any possibilility of complete comprehension by humans. If that is so, then we can hardly ever have a meaningful discussion about that being - the best that we can hope for is to discuss a particular human-generated image or "model" of God. And I think that quite a good number of those - the majority, perhaps - can be shown to be incorrect, in that they contain sufficient contradictory notions such that the image of God in question could not possibly be correct. Disproving a particular image of God, though, says little or nothing about whether or not ANY God exists, regardless of how attached any one person might be to that particular image.

Perhaps I should put on my atheist hat, and paint a picture of my life without God. I can almost assure you it would not be an altruistic approach to life. Without God, there is no reason for me to do anything but what I choose to do. Would you agree?

No, I wouldn't. I also believe that it is possible to produce a workable "morality" - a code of behavior - that does not rely on the existence of a God as its basis. (In fact, should it be the case that God does NOT exist after all, that IS exactly what mankind has done. But just as we cannot determine the existence or non-existence of God with certainty, we also could not determine the source of our common beliefs of morality with certainty.) That behavior that we call "moral" or "civilized" tends to line up with what happens when an individual moves from purely self-centered behavior to an understanding that behaviors NOT in one's immediate self-interest will often be better for the family/community/society as a whole. That realization clearly does not depend on a belief in any particular God; people have, for example, been sacrificing themselves for family, homeland, etc., completely independently of their particular religious beliefs. And, if I might run the risk of immodesty here, I would like to think that I behave in a manner generally seen as "good" - but clearly, I do so without the same sort of religious beliefs as others hold. It is also clear that this I can't claim any sort of uniqueness in this - there are a very large number of "good" atheists, agnostics, or believers in other faiths, if one is to judge "good" solely on the basis of behavior and in ignorance of these persons' religious beliefs. And there are, also, any number of "bad" people (in terms of their behavior) who hold a very wide range of religious beliefs or non-beliefs. (You might claim that, in the case of the "bad believers", that they couldn't possibly "really" hold the beliefs that the "good" ones do. But there's no way that anyone can truly judge that on behalf of another.)

I am basically a very selfish person. Without the influence of God in my life, any "good"ness you see in me would quickly evaporate.

And I have no doubt that you are giving a sincere and accurate statement here, as far as it goes relative to your particular case. However, I think you have to at least acknowledge the possibility that this might NOT be the case for everyone else. Is it not at least POSSIBLE, in your opinion, that others would find something else on which to base their "goodness"? The Dalai Lama clearly does not believe as you do - is he, therefore, a "bad" person by necessity?

RogerB

Originally posted by Gerald
Big talk, little britches.

You don't have the stones to cap an atheist just for being an atheist...

Gerald, are you going to be a serial killer when you grow up? You are one sick puppy (to which I'm sure you will agree)....

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by RogerB
Gerald, are you going to be a serial killer when you grow up? You are one sick puppy (to which I'm sure you will agree)....
Flatterer.

Well, to your credit, you didn't say "Yeah hell I do have the stones to cap an unbeliever!"...

Z Man

Originally posted by Zakath
Of course, he's probably got some silly religious taboo against lying... ;)
It's nice to know that lying is just some kind of silly religious taboo. Now I can lie all I want to! Alright!

*Looks away from the computer and shouts, "Honey, your meatloaf was great!!!"*

:thumb:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
There's a number of other reasons not to lie, but relgionists, like Roger, tend to ignore them...

Of course, in your marital example, a few well-placed lies can do much to ensure domestic tranquility. :D

Z Man

Well, what else is just religious taboo? Is adultry? Is killing? Is stealing? Are all these things just something religious freaks make up so they can go to their imaginary heaven? I'd like to know Zakath, because I don't want to follow some made up rule book if these things are just some kind of taboo. Adultry sounds like fun....

:rolleyes:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Z Man
Well, what else is just religious taboo? Is adultry? Is killing? Is stealing? Are all these things just something religious freaks make up so they can go to their imaginary heaven? I'd like to know Zakath, because I don't want to follow some made up rule book if these things are just some kind of taboo. Adultry sounds like fun....
If you're looking for examples of "silly religious taboos" try reading Leviticus or Deuteronomy in your bible. You'll find enough there to keep you busy for quite a while... ;)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Z Man
Name one commandment of the "Big Ten" that you think is taboo?

Which list do you mean, there are two separate ones...
;)

Generally, anything forbidden (usually by law or culture) is a taboo. Thus any of the decalogue that have "thou shalt not" could be considered taboos for the Jews.

Z Man

I know that Leviticus and Deuteronomy have some wierd laws and traditions in them, but I think God knew what He was talking about. All of the things He forbade them to do was in their best interest, so as to protect them and to keep them clean and holy. It's what made them a seperate people from everyone else; it's what made them Jews, a chosen nation for God and His glory and will.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
I always got a chuckle out of Deut. 22:11... as I was watching some pastor preaching in a wool-blend suit. ;)

RogerB

Originally posted by Zakath
I always got a chuckle out of Deut. 22:11... as I was watching some pastor preaching in a wool-blend suit. ;)

Were you sitting on your couch in your underwear with a Bud in one hand and fluorescent orange cheese stains on the other, the big toe of your right foot resting gingerly on the "channel up" button of the remote?