The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by shima
Ah, you mean the one which I don't believe in but billions of delusional people do?

No, he's talking about the One you and billions of other delusional people don't believe in.

claire

BANNED
Banned
I am a staunch believer that atheists are doing the work of God, by making persons of faith dig into their own beliefs, figure out why they believe what they do, question everything, and come out the other side with a faith stronger than ever....

And it is the rare atheist that was ever "convinced" by words, or by scripture or by anything else that peer review would consider proof...or empirical data....but there are some who were convinced by the example shown in the life of a person of faith....

The complete peace exhibited by a real person of faith, a faith and goodness that touches every aspect of his or her life....can make a non-believer go "I want that".....yes?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by claire
The complete peace exhibited by a real person of faith, a faith and goodness that touches every aspect of his or her life....can make a non-believer go "I want that".....yes?
Er, how many people actually fit that description...? The vast majority of Christians I've encountered are basket cases...

RogerB

Originally posted by Gerald
Er, how many people actually fit that description...? The vast majority of Christians I've encountered are basket cases...

You gotta get out of your cave, man!

claire

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by RogerB
Yes, but, Zak, Skeptic, Gerald, the Erie Witch guy, et al are not non-believers seeking truth.

What they say they are doing, and what they are ACTUALLY doing could be very different...it has been my experience that very few people put measurable effort into anything if they are not seeking something...

Seekers, like people of faith, are cloaked in many different things....and most atheists I know would genuinely like to believe, they just haven't found the key yet....

Good (read: informed) atheists and agnostics are often better than some Christians at "the books" and the "information"....they are generally also logical in their thinking....what rational, logical person would not choose eternity over the dirt nap if he could find the key that unlocks that door?

RogerB

What they say they are doing, and what they are ACTUALLY doing could be very different...it has been my experience that very few people put measurable effort into anything if they are not seeking something...

Seekers, like people of faith, are cloaked in many different things....and most atheists I know would genuinely like to believe, they just haven't found the key yet....

Good (read: informed) atheists and agnostics are often better than some Christians at "the books" and the "information"....they are generally also logical in their thinking....what rational, logical person would not choose eternity over the dirt nap if he could find the key that unlocks that door?

:bow:

LightSon

And it is the rare atheist that was ever "convinced" by words, or by scripture or by anything else that peer review would consider proof...or empirical data....but there are some who were convinced by the example shown in the life of a person of faith....

Yes clair.
The endless debate is exhausting. Perhaps there has been the odd atheist converted via argument, but I haven't seen it.

If our lives are not surrendered to God, then we will be living a lie, a product of double-minded thinking. Such may cause more harm than good to the observer. I am flawed, but desire God to be working in me. I want so much to be a spirit-filled person in whose life Christ can be clearly seen.

shima

claire: What they say they are doing, and what they are ACTUALLY doing could be very different...it has been my experience that very few people put measurable effort into anything if they are not seeking something...

Well, I do seek something. I seek the truth. I am convinced that my belief is right, but given the amount of different beliefs out there I could ofcourse be wrong since I'm not infallible.

Then again, I also believe christianity is not true. Again, I could be wrong so that is why I keep looking for any evidence that it might be true. I haven't found any so far, but I'm keeping my eyes open.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about christians.

RogerB

Well, I do seek something. I seek the truth. I am convinced that my belief is right, but given the amount of different beliefs out there I could ofcourse be wrong since I'm not infallible.

Then again, I also believe christianity is not true. Again, I could be wrong so that is why I keep looking for any evidence that it might be true. I haven't found any so far, but I'm keeping my eyes open.

You concede that you are fallible.

You concede that you might be wrong about Christianity.

If Christians are right, then there is absolutely no reason to look for any other answers. That doesn't mean that I can post a picture of it so you'll believe. Keep searching!

claire

BANNED
Banned

No generalizations, Shima :D

I am a Christian, a Seeker, and a proponent of science which I do not believe to be in conflict with my faith....

So not ALL Christians are close minded and rigid....just like not all Muslims are terrorists...and not all atheists are evil...the label on the package could be wrong....look inside the package before you judge...:)

shima

RogerB: You concede that you are fallible.

Ofcourse I'm fallible, and so are you.

You concede that you might be wrong about Christianity.

Ofcourse I could be wrong, and so could you. There are only two certainties in life: death and taxes. The truth of your beliefs isn't one of them.

If Christians are right, then there is absolutely no reason to look for any other answers.

You don't know christianity is true. You only believe christianity is true. You could be wrong.

claire: I am a Christian, a Seeker, and a proponent of science which I do not believe to be in conflict with my faith....

I'm sorry. I should have said "most christians". There are quite a few, even here on this forum, who think they already know the truth. They therefore do not search anymore.

claire

BANNED
Banned

I'm sorry. I should have said "most christians". There are quite a few, even here on this forum, who think they already know the truth. They therefore do not search anymore.

To cease to search is to lapse into apathy which is worse than refutation or disbelief....I think I know the truth as well, but taking the cue from a scientist I know and respect, I always leave options open for "additional truths"....

I was asked once by an atheist if he could prove to me by empirical data, the answer tp every question of the universe, including why we are here, what our purpose is, and show me the answer to eternity, ...what would I do.....

My answer was "I would look for the flaws in the "proof".....but that of course, was tongue in cheek....the answers wouldn't shake my faith...they would reinforce my belief that God finally saw fit to give man the answers.....so its all relative, yes?

One has to look at it with some sense of perspective....I live a certain way because I am a person of faith....and I accept certain "truths" for the same reason....in the end, if I am right, then I will know a oneness with God...if I am wrong, the worst option available to me is a dirt nap, and in the final analysis it won't change the way that I have lived my life.....

Atheists do not give themselves the best option....they can't because their minds cannot accept what they cannot see or that which can't be empirically proved....