The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

shima

Yeah, lets talk about this one.

"3 a : a number greater than half of a total b : the excess of a majority over the remainder of the total : MARGIN c : the preponderant quantity or share."

3 a means a NUMBER GREATER THAN 50%. You got it wrong.

RogerB

shima,

I'll break it down for you. I have a 9 year old so I'm used to it.

Let's say your 3rd grade class is having an election. Three children are running for class president. Here are the results of the election:

Roger gets 9 votes
Zakath gets 7 votes
shima gets 4 votes

Who got the majority of the votes?

shima

"Roger gets 9 votes
Zakath gets 7 votes
shima gets 4 votes

Who got the majority of the votes?"

None of them did. This means a clear re-election campaign between Roger and Zakath.

shima

>>Seriously....that's all you can see of the entire entry? Maybe you need glasses.<<

They all mean exactly the same thing, Roger. A NUMBER GREATER THAN 50% OF THE TOTAL.

RogerB

You win.

Someone notify all of the elected officials, class presidents, prom queens, beauty queens, best restaurants, favorite vacation spots, and the prettiest girl on Gilligan's Island that they have been ousted by shima.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Roger,

First, I wasn't involved in the "majority discussion" that was Shima, so your accusation of lying is essentially baseless. :thumb:

But since I'd rather be hung as a goat than a sheep, here goes... :chuckle:

It appears that you are falling into a common English definition trap: mistaking "majority" for "plurality".

Plurality:
  • In a contest of more than two choices, the number of votes cast for the winning choice if this number is not more than one half of the total votes cast.
  • The number by which the vote of the winning choice in such a contest exceeds that of the closest opponent.
  • The larger or greater part.
Majority:
  • The greater number or part; a number more than half of the total.
(Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved. )

Thus, in the ranking you displayed, the Christians are in a position of plurality not majority.

RogerB

:zakath:

There is no possible way you can twist "the preponderant quantity or share" to mean anything other than "the most".

You argument is with Merriam-Webster.

Some religionists on this board have the idea that it is appropriate to make up meanings for words as they go along. It really weakens their apologetic efforts by confusing the communication...

Is that your post? Were you referring to me? Assuming the answer to both questions is "yes", that makes you a liar.

Last edited:

RogerB

Christians 32.88%
Muslims 19.54%
Hindus 13.34%
Buddhists 5.92%
Sikhs 0.38%
Jews 0.24%
other religions 12.6%
non-religious 12.63%
atheists 2.47%

Let's see....

are there more Christians or Muslims in the world? CHRISTIANS!

are there more Christians or Hindus in the world? CHRISTIANS!

are there more Christians or Buddhists in the world? CHRISTIANS!

are there more Christians or Sikhs in the world? CHRISTIANS!

are there more Christians or Jews in the world? CHRISTIANS!

are there more Christians or other religions not specified above in the world? CHRISTIANS!

are there more Christians or non-religious people in the world? CHRISTIANS!

are there more Christians or atheists in the world? CHRISTIANS!

:bannana: :chuckle: :bannana: :chuckle: :bannana: :chuckle: :bannana: :chuckle: :bannana: :chuckle: :bannana: :chuckle: :bannana: :chuckle: :bannana: :chuckle: :bannana:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by RogerB
zakath

There is no possible way you can twist "the preponderant quantity or share" to mean anything other than "the most".

You argument is with Merriam-Webster.
"Preponderant" means "Having superior weight, force, importance, or influence." it imparts a value judgement (superior importance, or superior influence) to the numbers that I do not think is appropriate for mere statistical representations.

I have no argument with any dictionary, per se. Dictionaries are like bible versions. They are based upon opinion and shades of meaning, not absolute fact.

Is that your post?
Yes
Were you referring to me?
Not particularly, no.

Assuming the asnwer to both questions is "yes", that makes you a liar.
Didn't you're momma ever tell you what happens when you "a s s - u - m e" something, Roger?

Stop braying and get on with your discussion.

shima

>>Let's see....

are there more Christians or Muslims in the world? CHRISTIANS!<<

Are there more Christians than non-Christians in the world? NON-CHRISTIANS!

So much for your arguement.

RogerB

"Preponderant" means "Having superior weight, force, importance, or influence." it imparts a value judgement (superior importance, or superior influence) to the numbers that I do not think is appropriate for mere statistical representations.

Main Entry: pre·pon·der·ance
Pronunciation: pri-'pän-d(&-)r&n(t)s
Function: noun
Date: 1681
1 : a superiority in weight, power, importance, or strength
2 a : a superiority or excess in number or quantity b : MAJORITY

Wrong again, :zakath: .

shima

>>2 a : a superiority or excess in number or quantity b : MAJORITY<<

Since Christians don't have superior numbers than non-christians, I don't really get where you get your arguements from.

But perhaps we should get back to the discussion prior to the "Majority" discussion. It doesn't really add anything important, and Roger is obviously convinced of his own correctness......

RogerB

religious = 84.9%
non-religious and atheists = 15.1%

Are there more religious people or atheists in the world?

Can you say MINORITY?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Roger the dodger loves to major on minors since he as nothing of substance to contribute to this particular thread.

I suppose he'll have to start correcting spelling and grammar soon...