The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

Nova

Re: Truth or Dare

Re: Truth or Dare

Originally posted by Lion
which God you chose to follow is the question. The true God, or yourself. If you decide that you want to be your God, I would certainly not interfere with your choice. However, if you are instead looking for the truth, then its worth the time to discuss it with you.

I choose to follow no god. 'Course I realize that many here completely ignore and deny the existance of such gray areas, and the only acceptable answer for them is "I am my own god" or somesuch.

And I am very much a seeker of the truth, I just don't happen to categorize subjective beliefs as objective fact as fundamentalists do.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by RogerB
You answered your own question earlier today.
Sadly enough, I didn't think you had a answer.

I don't know why I keep giving you a chance, RogerB. Every time I hope you've got something to contribute, you fail.

Well, I've only got one thing to say to that!

:director: NEXT!

Shaun

Originally posted by Zakath
Oh really? Why do you think this happened?
Because God is God. For God to be God, He must not worship anything else. For God to be God, He must not have anything higher than Himself, lest he be worshiping idols.

Where do you get the idea that one type of sin is more dangerous than another?
Because pride begets other sins. Pride is always in competition with other people's pride. Pride is enmity.

I'm sure you think you do. My Hindu neighbors love their deity, too.
That's great. My beliefs are that they worship a false god. But that is not a debate I will debate in here. So don't ad hominem or pick at me, please.

(Whoo! My first blue star!)

Last edited:

RogerB

Well, I've only got one thing to say to that!

:director: NEXT!

And that, ladies and gentlemen, represents the sum of every argument an atheist has ever managed to regurgitate.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Shaun
Because God is God. For God to be God, He must not worship anything else. For God to be God, He must not have anything higher than Himself, lest he be worshiping idols.
If God had something higher than himself that demanded worship, then he wouldn't be worshipping idols, would he?:think:

...So don't ad hominem or pick at me, please.
I will treat you with the same level of respect that you treat me. No more, no less. Fair enough? :)

(Whoo! My first blue star!)
Congratulations. :)

Z Man

Hang in there, Nova. Someday you'll be an atheist too! :D

Of course someday, so will Z Man! :chuckle:
That would be impossible, given the fact that to be an atheist is to deny your own existence. I don't know about you Zakath, but I'm real, and alive. I exist. Therefor, I can't be an atheist. You must be dilusional to think otherwise... :chuckle:

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Z Man
I don't know about you Zakath, but I'm real, and alive. I exist. Therefor, I can't be an atheist.
That little problem can be solved easily enough.

Now, where did I leave that box of scorpions...?

;) :D

Shaun

If God had something higher than himself that demanded worship, then he wouldn't be worshipping idols, would he?:think:
If God had something higher than Himself, He would not be God. The thing higher than Himself would be God.

I will treat you with the same level of respect that you treat me. No more, no less. Fair enough? :)
Perfectly. Just please don't associate me mistakenly with those that attack you. I have not done so, and don't plan on it. I used to be an Atheist--I know how rude and unloving Christians can be. However, I also know how comforting and loving Christians can be.
Congratulations. :)
Thank you. :D

Zakath

Resident Atheist
If God had something higher than Himself, He would not be God. The thing higher than Himself would be God.
That was one of the the points of the idea that Lucifer was cast from heaven. It's a matter of "There can be only one."

Just please don't associate me mistakenly with those that attack you. I have not done so, and don't plan on it.
Good, then we should get along fine, even if we do not always agree.

I used to be an Atheist--I know how rude and unloving Christians can be. However, I also know how comforting and loving Christians can be.
I've found rude and comforting on both sides. Humans will be human, after all.

Edited to fix typo... - Z

Last edited:

Z Man

Originally posted by Gerald
That little problem can be solved easily enough.

Now, where did I leave that box of scorpions...?

;) :D
:crackup: Funny Gerald...

I don't want to die, and I'm not saying atheist are dead; I'm just saying that to actually claim to be an atheist, one denies purpose in life. Life without a purpose can not exist....

Nova

I'm just saying that to actually claim to be an atheist, one denies purpose in life.

No, they deny inherent religious purpose in life, that doesn't mean they deny ALL purpose. Some believe that the purpose of an individual's life is what they choose to make it.

Shaun

I'm just saying that to actually claim to be an atheist, one denies purpose in life. Life without a purpose can not exist....
Eh, ZMan, I'd disagree here.

One can have a purpose different than the purpose it was designed for--just as a computer gone haywire still exists, even if it isn't doing what it is supposed to do.

Their purpose is different from ours, however wrong we may believe they are. However, to state that they can not exist is a bit ludicrous. They deny their initial, God-given purpose in life--but they do not deny purpose in general.

It's actually impossible to totally deny purpose: even if one made it their intention to not have any purpose in life, therein would be their purpose, and they would have failed.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
... to actually claim to be an atheist, one denies purpose in life. Life without a purpose can not exist....
But I have a purpose. :)

My purpose here on TOL is entertainment! :bannana:

Shaun

Posted by Nova:
Well obviously when I *believed* (emphasis on the subjective) that the good things that happened were a result of God 'blessing' me.
That's not an answer to my question. :rolleyes:

When you were a Christian, which of the two made you happiest? (According to your beliefs at the time)

1) When God blessed you and lifted you up
2) When God ruined you, and made you lift him up

Did you mean #1?

Shaun
just asking

P.S. There you go Zak. ;)

Last edited:

Nova

That's not an answer to my question. :rolleyes:

No, I just don't think it was the kind of answer you wanted, and I suspect this might be a loaded question.

(According to your beliefs at the time)

That is basically re-phrasing how I already answered, I alluded to option 1, I obviously felt happier when I *believed* the reason the good things that happened were a result of 'god blessing me and lifting me up'.

I no longer believe the good things are a direct result of any god, but they bring me no less happiness.