Status
Not open for further replies.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIke I just showed in the other thread on this, the contrasting connector 'de' is used, not the continuing connector 'kai.'

Technically, "de" can mean "and."

f2bbdca7970f7224692289f439b96875.jpg

14d1a16cff16b5bdcc7b09cd6efa0d34.jpg

Stop building your life on 'fav' English versions and see what professionals say. They are in commentaries and you need to at least find the best of three.

Or, instead of using commentaries, which you seem to have such high regard of, just take Scripture at face value and forget the commentaries. Because, at the very least, the ones that you are reading do not say what the Bible is saying.

It is in the context anyway. It was outreach to non Jews. The apostles came and were amazed that it was all happening--the outreach to non Jews. You are a fool.

IP, what are "Hellenists"?

c5dfa06dd4c0cbe51ba964abb51eb036.jpg

A Hellenist is a Greek-speaking Jew.

The NASB is the most stiffly literal of all trans out there, and has the contrastive But, as it should.

The Koine Greek has "de." Which can be translated as shown above in the first image in this post, and that's including "but" and "and."

It was also about the speakers--the 'some of them.' THose were locals who could explain the Gospel to those around them who were non-Jews. And so they did.

The New King James Version (which imho is the closes to the original Greek as far as translations go) reads thusly:

Now those who were scattered after the persecution that arose over Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to no one but the Jews only.But some of them were men from Cyprus and Cyrene, who, when they had come to Antioch, spoke to the Hellenists, preaching the Lord Jesus.And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number believed and turned to the Lord. - Acts 11:19-21 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts11:19-21&version=NKJV

musterion

It's like a lunatic on the sidewalk repeatedly trying to argue with passersby that leprechauns are not real and you'd damn well better believe they're not. If there's no point in believing in leprechauns, why get so wound up about it? There isn't. Unless you're insane...or secretly fear that they just might be real.

SaulToPaul 2

It's like a lunatic on the sidewalk repeatedly trying to argue with passersby that leprechauns are not real and you'd damn well better believe they're not. If there's no point in believing in leprechauns, why get so wound up about it? There isn't. Unless you're insane...or secretly fear that they just might be real.

He has a guilty conscience for his widespread unbelief, and the obsession with dispensationalism is to soothe his conscience.

musterion

Which is why I think he's a troll, insane, or both. Nothing he posts ever makes a positive case for preterism; and even if he tried, most reasonable people (no matter what they believe or don't believe) will be put off by his obsessive lunacy. If he doesn't realize that, he's insane. If he does realize it, he clearly doesn't care, indicating he's a fake and only uses preterism as a prop to keep himself in the spotlight on a MAD site.

Makes me wonder if he has a similar presence at Acts 2 dispie sites, which are FAR more numerous than MAD. Then again, I've found Acts 2 folks to be somewhat less patient so he's probably already been banned by them.

Interplanner

Technically, "de" can mean "and."

f2bbdca7970f7224692289f439b96875.jpg

14d1a16cff16b5bdcc7b09cd6efa0d34.jpg

Or, instead of using commentaries, which you seem to have such high regard of, just take Scripture at face value and forget the commentaries. Because, at the very least, the ones that you are reading do not say what the Bible is saying.

IP, what are "Hellenists"?

c5dfa06dd4c0cbe51ba964abb51eb036.jpg

A Hellenist is a Greek-speaking Jew.

The Koine Greek has "de." Which can be translated as shown above in the first image in this post, and that's including "but" and "and."

The New King James Version (which imho is the closes to the original Greek as far as translations go) reads thusly:

Now those who were scattered after the persecution that arose over Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to no one but the Jews only.But some of them were men from Cyprus and Cyrene, who, when they had come to Antioch, spoke to the Hellenists, preaching the Lord Jesus.And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number believed and turned to the Lord. - Acts 11:19-21 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts11:19-21&version=NKJV

The face value of the account is that those people went to other Gentiles. I didn't need a commentary for that, just the total story. I did want to show that even the connector was in the contrasting sense. As you can see your NKJV quote shows it to be contrasting.

Interplanner

Once again he demands to be taken literally about a book that he insists cannot be taken literally.

No, I was taking it plainly, and the glom of some theory about not speaking to Gentiles was being imposed on it. Even though the guy RD says he has no problem with Gentiles being spoken to there. 'de' was contrastive so I get the literal prize.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You are just here to smear, put down, discredit sources first before hearing what is to be said. You have no ability to agree, that I can see.

Interplanner

Once again he demands to be taken literally about a book that he insists cannot be taken literally.

No, I was taking it plainly, and the glom of some theory about not speaking to Gentiles was being imposed on it. Even though the guy RD says he has no problem with Gentiles being spoken to there. 'de' was contrastive so I get the literal prize.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You are just here to smear, put down, discredit sources first before hearing what is to be said. You have no ability to agree, that I can see.

Interplanner

And now where are the criticisms by Must, Tam, STP, RD to the person who used Greek tools? There should be PAGES OF CRITICISMS now that he's done that.

Interplanner

The people who are losers about the plain meaning of the text are the ones who won't come to terms with:

1, the resurrection is the enthronement on David's throne that David foresaw, Acts 2:30
2, the resurrection completes the things promised to the fathers--the gift of a blessing to all the nations through the Gospel. Just yesterday STP said Gal 3:14 was made up (that familiar mindless catch-all response)
3, the 'raised fallen tent' of David is the incoming Gentiles (Acts 15 referring to Amos 9)

Those who have a fit about literalism here, are total failures on these three passages, as far as I know from what they have posted.

Interplanner

I am also not here "to make a case for preterism." I am here to express what was there historically, and to help people express the historic Gospel now in the power it had when the Spirit was at work through the apostles originally. D'ism takes it apart so badly, being the false knowledge that it is, that I have very little hope that these people will get back to their job. For starters, D'ism insists on making an industry out of the thing Christ said was none of our business.

WHoever said the preterism thing is rubbish at generalizing, and so pretty bad at organizing the Bible, as well as knowing preterism, and theologies in general.

Interplanner

Until the next line. You always search for soundbytes instead of really seeing what is happening.

Reminder to all how dishonest these D'ists can get. It's #205. Instead of reading the whole account, let alone the next line, he is full of his sound byte 'to Jews only' which is how people rewrite history at CNN and PBS and MSNBC. They scour transcripts and find something to make it look like it was all heading the other direction.

the exact same tactic.

And they are happy to talk about me landing on my head as a child.

SaulToPaul 2

Reminder to all how dishonest these D'ists can get. It's #205. Instead of reading the whole account, let alone the next line, he is full of his sound byte 'to Jews only' which is how people rewrite history at CNN and PBS and MSNBC. They scour transcripts and find something to make it look like it was all heading the other direction.

the exact same tactic.

And they are happy to talk about me landing on my head as a child.

Made up.

Danoh

The incompetence of some on here is glaring

Fact of the matter - a Hellenist or Grecian, was far more than "a Greek speaking Jew."

He was a Jew who in every way but one - birth - was "Greek" - who but in that one aspect, reflected every aspect of that GENTILE culture.

And such "other nation culturized" Jews and it's resulting conflict with "Jewish Jews" is depicted as a conflict in one form or another, throughout the Scripture...

The result being that they were viewed as Greeks and as such, had to submit to Circumcision and the Law for acceptance with God as Jews.

Until that changed for the Gentile, in general, in Acts 10 and into the early part of Acts 11.

The thing to do is to look at things through principles, rather then through the much narrow lens that is looking at a thing through content.

RD, STP, et al - no thanks; you can keep your ever full of holes in both study methods and resulting fringe version of actual Mid-Acts Dispensationalism :chuckle:

SaulToPaul 2

RD, STP, et al - no thanks; you can keep your ever full of holes in both study methods and resulting fringe version of actual Mid-Acts Dispensationalism :chuckle:

I haven't commented on Grecians, sir.
But I have used Grecian Formula on my temples.

Status
Not open for further replies.