Not open for further replies.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Read, Fire, Aim - Joshua 10

Read, Fire, Aim - Joshua 10

@AskMrReligion, One problem with you even giving credence to the notion that the sun is what stopped moving above the earth is that it doesn't match physics,...
I take the time to extract my comments in another thread in detail related to the Joshua 10 historical (not phenomenological or allegorical) account of a miracle. In response, some merely skim here and there or do not take the time to carefully read what I have pointed to, for if they had, they would already know the answer to their musings, as in "doesn't match physics" have actually been given.

My kingdom for a man who will actually read another carefully, versus knee-jerk reactions and streams of consciousness. :AMR:

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Naturalistic Science vs. Biblical Worldview

Naturalistic Science vs. Biblical Worldview

He means that the earth revolves around itself, of course.
I mean the sun orbits the earth.

What if it were shown that the Bible systematically adopts a geocentric perspective? Would that be something to care about? God created the heaven and the earth on day one. The sun was made on day four. There will be new heavens and a new earth, but there will be no need for the light of the sun. From beginning to end the Bible rejects the natural man’s deification of the sun as the source of light and life. God sets the sun it in its place. God moves it in its course. God can stop it in its course when it serves His purpose.

The Bible systematically presents the same picture of the sun in relation to the earth, and never suggests anything different. History, prophecy, law, poetry, all provide the same uniform view of the matter. Even the poetic descriptions only make sense on the understanding that the sun moves. There is never a hint that this is merely phenomenological language. It is reality as God has revealed it.

That being the case, whence arises the suggestion that it is something other than literal? The suggestion comes from naturalistic science . A changing science at that. A science which self-consciously proclaims its findings in terms of hypothesis and probability. A science which already accepts that alternate models might be just as valid. A science which itself is geocentric, since all its preliminary findings are based on observations of and from the earth. What then? Are we seriously being asked to exchange the reliability of the consistent worldview of the Bible in order to conform to the unreliable and ever-changing probabilities of this so-called “science?

The naturalist believer will claim,
...once that universe was set up by God, everything should work according to a set of laws, for the Universal Lawgiver would have created the universe commensurate with His divine attributes. His unchanging nature means we have a universe that can be understood through unchanging scientific law (and of course the occasional miracle, an addition to natural law).

I answer that a universe commensurate with divine attributes would be invisible, infinite, and incomprehensible. Or, in reverse, it would mean that God, like the universe, is continually in space, time, and motion, and is subject to decay. And the claim to unchanging scientific law would remove the possibility of "the occasional miracle." This is not a sound theological basis on which to approach science.

Scripture definitely speaks about a geocentric universe. It does not address astrophysics in detail, but it does tell us God's focus: In the beginning God created heaven and Earth.

Two basic things. Heaven and Earth. After that, almost all the focus of Scripture is on Earth and, even more to the point, on Man. I take it that divine revelation tells us that God's focus is uniquely on this speck some call "geo." ;)

AMR

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hey Dave can you describe in your own words the shape of the moon according the the Flat Earth Theory?

Is it like a half sphere or half disc or some other shape?

No, I said that in relation to the pictures you re-posted. In the pictures of half of the moon in the day time the blue sky makes it look like half of the moon does not exist.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I tried asking Dave about that a while back, because I don't think he understands just HOW BIG the earth is.
[MENTION=4980]DFT_Dave[/MENTION], Question for you:

Why is it that every time someone posts a video from a camera that gets to a very high altitude, the distance from the camera to the horizon the same in 360 degrees? The only way that is possible on a flat earth is if the camera is directly over the center of the circle, like when you look at a plate face on. Yet we see people launching from an average of halfway to the edge (from the center) of the supposed disk of the earth, yet there's no visible difference when the camera faces one way versus another.

The horizon is the farthest distance we can see, even for a camera. That distance is obviously the same no matter what direction you look.

--Dave

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No, I said that in relation to the pictures you re-posted. In the pictures of half of the moon in the day time the blue sky makes it look like half of the moon does not exist.

--Dave
That's not an answer.

Here, lets try this.... I will answer first and then maybe you can take a whack at it.

I believe the moon is a sphere. What shape do you believe the moon to be?

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Completely round like a disc? And is the disc missing a any portions or is it complete?

You saw the pictures and you understand my point.

The real question is, are moon phases due to the sun's light reflecting off it, or are the moon phases due to the moon's own self illumination.

I have viewed and am still viewing video to see which theory holds up. I see this as a possible test one can perform to determine which view is correct.

--Dave

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You saw the pictures and you understand my point.
Trust me... I do not understand your point in the least.

And what's worse is... why wont you just answer my question??

What shape is the moon? Is it completely round like a disc? And is the disc missing a any portions or is it a complete 360 degree disc?

musterion

The horizon is the farthest distance we can see, even for a camera. That distance is obviously the same no matter what direction you look.

--Dave

Imagine you and are suspended over at 15 foot circular platform, looking downward. You are hanging over a spot marked 3 feet from the left hand edge. That leaves 12 feet running off into the distance to your right while, just three feet to your left, is the dropoff into space where the flat platform ends. That's akin to what high alt cameras would see if the earth were flat.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Trust me... I do not understand your point in the least.

And what's worse is... why wont you just answer my question??

What shape is the moon? Is it completely round like a disc? And is the disc missing a any portions or is it a complete 360 degree disc?

I just told the main point, so why say you don't get it?

If you have a point to make, make it.

I'm exploring this from every angle and perspective.

You, and every one else who thinks there is no controversy here and it's all cut and dried are wrong about that.

You have your view and you are not even examining the other side.

Moon phases are visible to every one and with a Nikon P900 we have a lot of people saying and showing video that seems to indicate the phases of the moon are not consistent with the light coming from the sun, which would mean it is self illuminating. I'm presenting their evidence and if you and others refuse to look at it then you'll never know if they are right or wrong.

If you have absolute certainty about what is true about our planet and our universe then I am happy for you, I have doubts, and I am not the only one.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Imagine you and are suspended over at 15 foot circular platform, looking downward. You are hanging over a spot marked 3 feet from the left hand edge. That leaves 12 feet running off into the distance to your right while, just three feet to your left, is the dropoff into space where the flat platform ends. That's akin to what high alt cameras would see if the earth were flat.

Here is what we see from the ISS and NASA

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Here is what we really see.

I know it's from a different altitude, supposedly.

But there is still a world of difference between what NASA is showing us an what we see.

The rotation from ISS is missing and so is the curvature.

--Dave

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I take the time to extract my comments in another thread in detail related to the Joshua 10 historical (not phenomenological or allegorical) account of a miracle. In response, some merely skim here and there or do not take the time to carefully read what I have pointed to, for if they had, they would already know the answer to their musings, as in "doesn't match physics" have actually been given.

AMR, I fully believe the account of the sun standing still in the Bible recorded in Joshua 10 happened. I also fully believe (arguing philosophically here) that the earth is the center of God's attention, and even that the earth is very close the the center of all of space (kgov.com/axis), but not that the sun orbits the earth, rather the moon orbits the earth, which orbits the sun, which orbits the center of the Milky Way.

My problem lies in your statement that the Bible says that we have a geocentric universe, one where the sun revolves around the earth.

I mean the sun orbits the earth.

What if it were shown that the Bible systematically adopts a geocentric perspective? Would that be something to care about? God created the heaven and the earth on day one. The sun was made on day four. There will be new heavens and a new earth, but there will be no need for the light of the sun. From beginning to end the Bible rejects the natural man’s deification of the sun as the source of light and life. God sets the sun it in its place. God moves it in its course. God can stop it in its course when it serves His purpose.

Ok, And? None of that goes against a heliocentric model. In fact, except for the last three sentences of that paragraph, none of it has anything to do with any specific model, or rather, it could all apply to any model whatsoever.

Let me address those last three sentences:

God sets the sun it in its place.

God placed the sun in the sky to be a light. As far as I'm aware, and if you can give me scripture to show I'm wrong, the Bible doesn't say how God set it in motion.

God moves it in its course.

Does this mean that you think that if God were to build a fence, that he would have to hold it up? That doesn't sound like a very good fence.

AMR, I'm not saying the sun doesn't move, because it very clearly does move around the center of the galaxy, I'm saying that the sun doesn't move like you say it does.

God can stop it in its course when it serves His purpose.

If God wanted to stop the movement of the sun, He would also have to stop the movement of the solar system as a whole (not the orbiting of the planets or objects orbiting it, just the overall movement through space. But why would God do that if He could just stop one planet rotating for a few hours? What would be the point in stopping the entire solar system when He could just stop one or two objects?

The Bible systematically presents the same picture of the sun in relation to the earth, and never suggests anything different. History, prophecy, law, poetry, all provide the same uniform view of the matter. Even the poetic descriptions only make sense on the understanding that the sun moves. There is never a hint that this is merely phenomenological language. It is reality as God has revealed it.

Did I not say that even normal people say that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, as if the sun were the object moving and not the earth? I think that's the third time...

That being the case, whence arises the suggestion that it is something other than literal?

I never said it was anything but literal.

The suggestion comes from naturalistic science . A changing science at that. A science which self-consciously proclaims its findings in terms of hypothesis and probability. A science which already accepts that alternate models might be just as valid. A science which itself is geocentric, since all its preliminary findings are based on observations of and from the earth. What then? Are we seriously being asked to exchange the reliability of the consistent worldview of the Bible in order to conform to the unreliable and ever-changing probabilities of this so-called “science?

So how do you propose to investigate our universe? Hmm?

The naturalist believer will claim,
...once that universe was set up by God, everything should work according to a set of laws,

Again, is a fence considered a good fence if its maker has to hold it up?

for the Universal Lawgiver would have created the universe commensurate with His divine attributes. His unchanging nature means we have a universe that can be understood through unchanging scientific law (and of course the occasional miracle, an addition to natural law).

Miracles would be circumventions of the laws of physics.

I answer that a universe commensurate with divine attributes would be invisible, infinite, and incomprehensible.

I don't think anyone attributes the divinitic attributes of God to the creation. That seems like it would be idolatry...

And clearly, the universe isn't invisible (I can wave my hand behind a wall and not see it through the wall, and God shows us who He is through His creation, so he isn't all that invisible), it isn't incomprehensible (we can understand how the world works, and how God works, for that matter), and as far as we know, it isn't infinite...

Or, in reverse, it would mean that God, like the universe, is continually in space, time, and motion, and is subject to decay.

Pretty sure no one here has made any of those arguments...

And the claim to unchanging scientific law would remove the possibility of "the occasional miracle."

So you're saying the laws of physics are arbitrary at best? Right... Go tell that to a physicist, see how much he laughs at you.

This is not a sound theological basis on which to approach science.

Good thing we're not talking theology, then. Well, at least, I'm not, though it does tie in occasionally...

Scripture definitely speaks about a geocentric universe.

Oh really? You have yet to show where.

It does not address astrophysics in detail, but it does tell us God's focus: In the beginning God created heaven and Earth.

That, as I hinted at above, is a philosophical argument at best. NOT that I disagree with what you said...

Two basic things. Heaven and Earth. After that, almost all the focus of Scripture is on Earth and, even more to the point, on Man. I take it that divine revelation tells us that God's focus is uniquely on this speck some call "geo." ;)

AMR

Again, a philosophical argument which has nothing to do with how the universe is actually set up. Again, not that I disagree with what you said, just pointing out that it's a philosophical argument, and not an observation about the physical universe.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Joshua 10 Is Not Phenomenological "...as if..."

Joshua 10 Is Not Phenomenological "...as if..."

Did I not say that even normal people say that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, as if the sun were the object moving and not the earth? I think that's the third time...
Did I not say the Joshua account is not phenomenological? Why you keep appealing to a phenomenological (as if...) stance eludes me. This is the same reasoning used by those that would deny the miracle in Joshua 10. They would argue what was recorded was but what the writer and the audience at the time thought things merely appeared to them versus the reality that is described in Joshua 10. I explained this in detail.

The miracle described in Joshua is not a matter of mere observation, for his command was instrumental to the miracle—the sun historically, in the time-space continuum, literally stood still. Everyday phenomenological language is to be accepted in the Bible only where it can be proven by internal markers in the text, not from quasi-scientific considerations being imposed on the text.

The miracle described in Joshua 10 was an actual event rather than something the people "apparently" witnessed. The Bible declared what (the sun) stood still and we have no exegetical warrant to deny it. Joshua's prayer is instrumental in the miracle. "And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the LORD hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the LORD fought for Israel."

To cast doubt on the factuality of the prayer or the event is to cast doubt on the miracle. To cast doubt on the narration of these is to cast doubt on the plenary inspiration of the Bible.

What is a miracle? If we define it as a work which transcends the ordinary operations of providence then it is obvious that one must have a correct view of "nature" in order to know when a miracle has taken place. If the biblical writers/readers were mistaken as to the way the world works then there is no way of knowing that something over and above the ordinary course of providence has taken place. Let's be confident God is wise enough to know that if He accommodated errors of "perception" there would be no way for believers to know when He was telling truth and when He was accommodating error, to the point there could be no certainty about any fact.

We investigate our universe by presupposing God and the cosmology described in Scripture. Science will have none of that, for it hypothesizes contrary to Scripture then declares the "facts" of its own hypotheses. The cosmology of biblical revelation as a whole can only be understood as geocentric. There is no necessity to re-evaluate or reformulate biblical revelation in the light of hypotheses which themselves are undergoing continual re-evaluation and reformulation. There is no need to attempt to alter the Bible to make it look credible in the eyes of the scientific community. There are pertinent philosophical considerations which limit the scope of empirical science, and allow us to hold to the biblical view even when it conflicts with the observations of men. Our aim should always be to let the Bible speak for itself, and to accept its message regardless of how it is judged by others.

Both Joshua 10:13 and Matthew 1:25 are narratives describing what actually happened. Both are described as events which took place by means of divine power working in an extraordinary way. Now why should the one statement require qualification and not the other? Gibeon provides the location from Joshua's standpoint while heaven provides the reference point as to the cessation of motion. The text states that the miracle consisted not only in the sun standing still, but in the sun standing still in response to a man's command and that the Lord hearkened to the man.

If the sun did not actually stand still one must wonder wherein the miracle consisted. One must stretch the primae facie meaning of the text to limit the frame of reference to Gibeon, and thereby suppose the miracle takes place entirely in the phenomenological realm; and I would ask why any exegete is motivated to do this. There is nothing in the text to constrain it. There is nothing in the Scriptures themselves which suggest an alternate viewpoint. From where does the alternate viewpoint arise which constrains this exegesis? I have great difficulty conceiving of a miracle which only takes place on a phenomenological level. If the "natural" is merely one of appearance, then the "supernatural" is merely above and beyond the appearance. To make sense of the creation, narrative phenomena, poetical descriptions, prophetic utterances, one must begin with geocentrism as more than merely focusing attention on the earth.

There is only one reality; that is the one God created and reveals to us. Within this one reality there are diverse relationships, and these diversities are complicated by the fall. Christians in general accept that sinful human beings with all their follies are permitted to exercise dominion in this world under a restraining and forbearing Providence, and that this is subservient to the higher redemptive purpose whereby God saves, gathers, and builds up His elect in the world. This worldview should allow us to work in the world and to accredit "scientific observation" according to a temporal perspective without granting ultimate epistemic validity to a fallen worldview.

So where in the Bible do you derive the idea that the earth moves about the sun? If you do not derive it from the Bible then you have no right to impose it on the biblical text.

But then the text is also obviously challenging our assumption that the earth revolves around the sun. Why are we at liberty to disregard this challenge? And if we can disregard this challenge, why could not Joshua's contemporaries disregard certain things which would have challenged them? In the end, we would end up merely reading assumptions and challenges into the text rather than simply reading the text as it stands.

The Joshua 10 account obviously does not teach us physics, astronomy, or any other science; but the passage makes a statement about the sun, that it ordinarily moves, and that a miracle occurred when it stopped moving. Whatever one thinks about physics, astronomy, or any other science, he has no right to impose his unproven, ever advancing scientific explanations on the Bible and make it say something other than what it says

The facts are that there is no shift between (1)Joshua's prayer, (2) God's answer to the prayer, and (3) the inspired narrator's statement of fact. From each and every perspective, the sun stood still. In a fight between the text and the interpreter the text wins every time and those that oppose the text must concede.

AMR

musterion

Here is what we see from the ISS and NASA

--Dave

Stop ignoring points people bring up.

True or false:

You and are suspended over at 15 foot circular platform, looking downward. You are hanging over a spot marked 3 feet from the left hand edge. That leaves 12 feet running off into the distance to your right while, just three feet to your left, is the dropoff into space where the flat platform ends. That's akin to what high alt cameras would have see if the earth were flat, UNLESS they hovered over the direct center of a flat Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.