The earth is flat and we never went to the moon--Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chair

The laws of perspective in drawing are based on geometry not speculation. Plane (not simple) geometry informs us how to draw things accurately. Plane geometry in perspective is drawing the world as we see it, accurately and realistically.

Plane geometry in perspective
We have vanishing points along a vanishing horizon line in reality not in theory. Flat earth model is consistent with the geometry of perspective, globe earth says we see the edge of a curved earth and dismisses plane geometry as art theory. The problem with that is plane geometry works. How can that which works not be a reality?

A small low sun as it meets the horizon line at a vanishing point to the viewer will disappear from sight as do clouds. The distance in elevation will disappear first, obviously, then bottom to top and sides. You all want to image the space in elevation between sun and earth to always be maintained and is why you think the sun should disappear as a round dot. The sun blends into the horizon line it does not stay above it.

We also have land masses that rise above the horizon and are the reason we see the sun more distinctly set bottom first over land. But as my graph shows, we never see the sun hit the horizon line over land anyway.

View attachment 26586

--Dave

1. will the light at the end of the tunnel disappear if you get far enough away?
2. How far away id your physical vanishing point?

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You have avoided the question regarding the horizon. On a flat Earth model, how far away is the horizon? What limits the eye from seeing past the horizon?

How far can the human eye see? Keep in mind that the human eye that the human eye responds to light, not distance. Here is a brief article about the human eye. You might take a look at it.

First your site presumes stars are light years away, the flat earth stars are small and are close as are sun and moon.

The distance we see depends on elevation on flat earth just as on a globe. The difference is we still see the horizon at eye level no matter how high we ascend on flat earth and we would be looking more and more down at the horizon the higher we go on a globe.

Twenty miles high is still not that high which is about as high as I think we have ever gone.

The perspective we see with is the limiting factor, not something outside of us.

Silent Hunter

First your site presumes stars are light years away, the flat earth stars are small and are close as are sun and moon.
Nope. "How far the human eye can see depends on how many particles of light, or photons, a distant object emits."

Do you know how much light the Sun emits and how far away it would have to be before your naked eye would not be able to detect it? The Sun has an absolute magnitude of 4.83 (if it were 32.6 light years away), which is over 60 times brighter than the limit of detectability.

How far away is the Sun supposed to be on a flat Earth again?

The distance we see depends on elevation on flat earth just as on a globe. The difference is we still see the horizon at eye level no matter how high we ascend on flat earth and we would be looking more and more down at the horizon the higher we go on a globe.

Twenty miles high is still not that high which is about as high as I think we have ever gone.
Spoken as if you never conceded the point even though you proved this to yourself by constructing your own room-sized graph :rolleyes:.

The perspective we see with is the limiting factor, not something outside of us.
:liberals:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
This is an unsupported assertion by you that requires you to provide supporting evidence. You claim that NASA is part of a vast conspiracy to hide flat Earth from the populous. Yet flat Earth proponents have provided no evidence that NASA is actually wrong. Claiming that they are lying means nothing. You must provide a testable experiment or analysis that supports what you claim. Unless and until you do that, there is no reason for me to doubt the science that currently explains the universe around us and does so accurately. The globe Earth perfectly explains what we see at sunrise and sunset and you have completely failed to refute those observations with flat Earth theory. A sun going towards a vanishing point does not explain why it never gets smaller and disappears from the bottom up and appears from the top down.

This notion of the horizon always being at eye level is meaningless. Flat or globe Earth, the lens of the human eye determines what we we see and how distance effects what we see.

The highest men have been is 238,900 miles above the Earths surface. The International Space Station is 254 miles above the Earth. You can see the ISS with a good pair of binoculars. I know that you will claim that it is part of a vast NASA considerably. As I said above, support your point with testable evidence, not rhetoric.

This sentence say absolutely nothing. Why do we see the perspective we see?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The highest men have been is 238,900 miles above the Earths surface. The International Space Station is 254 miles above the Earth. You can see the ISS with a good pair of binoculars. I know that you will claim that it is part of a vast NASA considerably.
Actually Dave believes in the ISS. But he thinks it's being held in space by electro magnetism, or balloons, or something.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Nope. "How far the human eye can see depends on how many particles of light, or photons, a distant object emits."

Spoken as if you never conceded th point through your own room-sized graph :rolleyes:

View attachment 26587

Landscapes
How far we see past the horizon is not the same as how far we can see into the sky above us.
Notice in this pic the mountains in the distance fade out more and more the farther way they get.

View attachment 26588

The clouds in the pic are cut off at the bottom because they are hidden behind the mountain range in the same way the sun would be. See how the clouds extend beyond the mountains. The mountains rise above the horizon of the viewer. The setting, or rising, sun would appear or disappear behind the mountains from bottom up but not because of a curved earth but because the horizon line is behind the mountain range. Go to the landscape site and you will see the pictures that confirm my graph.

View attachment 26590 View attachment 26589

--Dave

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
View attachment 26587

Landscapes
How far we see past the horizon is not the same as how far we can see into the sky above us.
Notice in this pic the mountains in the distance fade out more and more the farther way they get.

View attachment 26588

The clouds in the pic are cut off at the bottom because they are hidden behind the mountain range in the same way the sun would be. See how the clouds extend beyond the mountains. The mountains rise above the horizon of the viewer. The setting, or rising, sun would appear or disappear behind the mountains from bottom up but not because of a curved earth but because the horizon line is behind the mountain range. Go to the landscape site and you will see the pictures that confirm my graph.

--Dave

This does not explain why the setting, or rising, sun would appear or disappear from bottom up over an ocean where are no mountains. Once again, your explanation fails to cover all observed data.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This is an unsupported assertion by you that requires you to provide supporting evidence. You claim that NASA is part of a vast conspiracy to hide flat Earth from the populous. Yet flat Earth proponents have provided no evidence that NASA is actually wrong. Claiming that they are lying means nothing. You must provide a testable experiment or analysis that supports what you claim. Unless and until you do that, there is no reason for me to doubt the science that currently explains the universe around us and does so accurately. The globe Earth perfectly explains what we see at sunrise and sunset and you have completely failed to refute those observations with flat Earth theory. A sun going towards a vanishing point does not explain why it never gets smaller and disappears from the bottom up and appears from the top down.

This notion of the horizon always being at eye level is meaningless. Flat or globe Earth, the lens of the human eye determines what we we see and how distance effects what we see.

The highest men have been is 238,900 miles above the Earths surface. The International Space Station is 254 miles above the Earth. You can see the ISS with a good pair of binoculars. I know that you will claim that it is part of a vast NASA considerably. As I said above, support your point with testable evidence, not rhetoric.

This sentence say absolutely nothing. Why do we see the perspective we see?

You're right everything about the size, distance from earth for sun, moon, and stars needs to be established.

Why we see the perspective we see is because we see in perspective. I draw in perspective because I see in perspective. I am free to draw out of perspective but I'm not free to see in any other way.

I hope you see that I'm arguing methodically from ground up. If I don't see a model from perspective that is possible at the start I declare flat earth wrong and all debate ends here. If I can see it possibly being true at this level I can test that at the next level. That does not mean perspective proves flat earth it merely means it's possible. I doubt that any of you will appreciate this but it's important to me even if not to anyone else.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This does not explain why the setting, or rising, sun would appear or disappear from bottom up over an ocean where are no mountains. Once again, your explanation fails to cover all observed data.

I already posted two videos that show my point both for a boat and the sun.

But there are also video and pics that are said to show a curve.

I will compare them and see who is right and who is wrong. But you, and others, will have to leave at this point or just accept my conclusions unless you want to watch and compare some of them with me.

When I stared this debate it was video vs video and we got nowhere fast. Knowing much more about the subject now I can make a written argument and isolate video to a few minutes or a little more to make my point. As the song goes, "Do you see what I see?", is important to me.

Thanks for your posts.

--Dave

Silent Hunter

Do you know how much light the Sun emits and how far away it would have to be before your naked eye would not be able to detect it? The Sun has an absolute magnitude of 4.83 (if it were 32.6 light years away), which is over 60 times brighter than the limit of detectability.

Spoken as if you never conceded the point even though you proved this to yourself by constructing your own room-sized graph :rolleyes:.

View attachment 26587

Landscapes

View attachment 26588

Just once it would be nice if you would actually engage the point instead of blabbering nonsense. You have a very bad habit of insisting exceptions are the rule.

As you see, the "site" does NOT "presume stars are light years away".

... everything about the size, distance from earth for sun, moon, and stars needs to be established.
I though this was already done. Haven't you claimed the Sun is less than 5,000 miles away?

Why we see the perspective we see is because we see in perspective. I draw in perspective because I see in perspective. I am free to draw out of perspective but I'm not free to see in any other way.

I hope you see that I'm arguing methodically from ground up. If I don't see a model from perspective that is possible at the start I declare flat earth wrong and all debate ends here. If I can see it possibly being true at this level I can test that at the next level. That does not mean perspective proves flat earth it merely means it's possible. I doubt that any of you will appreciate this but it's important to me even if not to anyone else.
Your reasoning here is more than a little beyond bizarre. It has been shown a million different ways, none of which you have refuted, that the Earth is a globe.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
You're right everything about the size, distance from earth for sun, moon, and stars needs to be established.

You have yet to explain WHY we see in perspective. I think it is important to understand how the human eye works so that you can determine if the human eye can be trusted to accurately reflect the world around us or if it ha limitations that force us to go beyond what our eyes are telling us.

--Dave
You are not starting from the ground up. Your title to this thread rather demonstrates that. You have stated in your title that the Earth is flat and that we never went to the moon. You have made conclusions and you are trying to support that to the point where you absolutely ignore any question that really forces you to look at the flat Earth model.

Sunrise and sunset - Flat Earth says the sun and moon are rotating above the Earth in a plane parallel to the Earths surface. This path does not explain why the rises from the top down, sets from the bottom up and is always the same size throughout the day. You have been asked to verify this yourself, you have been given methods to do so yet you have not done ANY investigative work of your own. Why?

If the sun is a "spot light" circling above the Earth and only about 3,000 miles up, why can't we see it at night? The sun would always be visible from everyplace on a flat Earth because there is nothing to block it. You may not be under it's light, but you would still be able to see it. If you take a really bright spotlight and suspend it from a pole so that it points at the ground, you can mimic the problem. If you stand under the light, you can see it. If you walk down the block, or even two or three or four blocks, you can still see your spot light but you are not being illuminated by it.

Unless and until flat Earth "science" can produce a repeatable experiment that is peer reviewed and accepted by existing scientific journals, you cannot make any meaningful claims about, well, anything regarding the flat Earth. You may not like the part about submitting to existing scientific journals but that is what every other person who has and idea about how the universe works has to do. I am holding your movement to the same standard.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I already posted two videos that show my point both for a boat and the sun.
But it takes different explanations for you to make a flat Earth argument. That is a failure. Its the same sun, its the same Earth, why are there two different things going on?

Fun sidebar: If the sun is 3000 miles above the Earth, how tall would the mountain ranges have to be so that the sun would appear to sink behind them?

But there are also video and pics that are said to show a curve.

I will compare them and see who is right and who is wrong. But you, and others, will have to leave at this point or just accept my conclusions unless you want to watch and compare some of them with me.
Why do we have to leave or accept your conclusions? It has been shown many times by many different people and approaches that your conclusions are fatally flawed. Post as many videos as you want, keep them short - nobody has an hour to spend watch them, and we will be glad to go through them with you again.

When I stared this debate it was video vs video and we got nowhere fast. Knowing much more about the subject now I can make a written argument and isolate video to a few minutes or a little more to make my point. As the song goes, "Do you see what I see?", is important to me.

Thanks for your posts.

--Dave
Yes, you can do that but that is not enough. You need to engage with the comments made by others. You have a bad habit of ignoring inconvenient truths. You need to tackle those head on. You need to address each and every counter argument raised against your position.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Do you recall what Reagan said, on video, regarding an alien invasion?
It would unite the entire world as one.

Is this not exactly what the anti Christ will initially do?

Flat earthers will not fall for an 'alien invasion'. They know better.

“When the model is recast to represent realistic distributions of uncertainty, we find a substantial ex ante [predicted] probability of there being no other intelligent life in our observable universe, and thus that there should be little surprise when we fail to detect any signs of it.”
- Sandberg, A., Drexler, E. and Ord, T., Dissolving the Fermi Paradox, arxiv.org, 8 June 2018.

Dissolving the Fermi Paradox
Life is unique after all: Copernicus, Enrico Fermi, and Elon Musk weigh in
by Paul Price
Published: 10 July 2018 (GMT+10)

SaulToPaul 2

“When the model is recast to represent realistic distributions of uncertainty, we find a substantial ex ante [predicted] probability of there being no other intelligent life in our observable universe, and thus that there should be little surprise when we fail to detect any signs of it.”
- Sandberg, A., Drexler, E. and Ord, T., Dissolving the Fermi Paradox, arxiv.org, 8 June 2018.

Dissolving the Fermi Paradox
Life is unique after all: Copernicus, Enrico Fermi, and Elon Musk weigh in
by Paul Price
Published: 10 July 2018 (GMT+10)

Have you paid attention to movies, music, and video games for the past half century?
It's everywhere. People are being conditioned to accept it as possible, even normal.

If CNN, MSNBC, and Fox show you breaking NASA "video" of aliens making a trek toward earth. Will you buy it?
If not, why not?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
2757 posts on this thread. Discussing whether or not the earth is flat. July 21, 2018, and this thread goes on. Difficult to believe. Or on TOL, maybe not.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Have you paid attention to movies, music, and video games for the past half century?
It's everywhere. People are being conditioned to accept it as possible, even normal.
The past half century? You mean like the T.V. shows "Star Trek" and "My Favorite Martian"? Is that about when the brain washing started?

This is just conspiracy minded nonsense.

If CNN, MSNBC, and Fox show you breaking NASA "video" of aliens making a trek toward earth. Will you buy it?
If not, why not?
I don't buy anything - ANYTHING - and MSNBC and I doubt every word uttered on CNN and I'm skeptical of much of what FOX says too.

If Rush says they're real, then maybe I'll start listening. Otherwise, I couldn't care less whether they're coming or not nor whether they even exist or not.

How do you suppose the anti-Christ will unite the world as one?
The Bible tells us how. Miracles.

Want the source of modern widespread fooling of Christians? Look no further than the Trinity Broadcasting Network and the abject stupidity that is the Charismatic movement.

Clete

oatmeal

This is why we are debating flat earth

1. Experiments could not detect motion to the earth. "Soon I came to the conclusion that our idea about the motion of the Earth with respect to the ether is incorrect, if we admit Michelson’s null result as a fact. This was the first path which led me to the special theory of relativity...I have come to believe that the motion of the Earth cannot be detected by any optical experiment--Albert Einstein “How I Created the Theory of Relativity,” Dec. 14, 1922

2. The sun, moon, and stars tell us nothing about the shape of the earth. The sun and the moon are not habitations for life. They are lights in the sky that appear much smaller than the earth. They have no atmosphere, water/oceans, or forests. We observe them, along with the clouds and the stars, moving across the sky.

3. The horizon line always appears straight/flat and is never curved. The horizon always rises up to our eye level regardless of how high we go. The higher we go the further into the distance we see the land and water/oceans rise up before us as a flat plane would do, we never see the earth drop away from us as we would if the earth were a globe.

4. Everything we know about a globed earth and heliocentric universe is as "imagined" as Einstein's relative space/time universe. There exists much evidence that NASA faked the moon landings and is now faking space missions to keep us from finding out the earth is flat just as our God given senses and the Bible tell us.

--Dave

The Bible does not say that the earth is flat.

In fact it shows evidence tot the contrary, that it is indeed spherical.

Likewise, just because you might think you see a flat horizon, doesn't mean that you actually see the slight curvature of the earth.

Your vision is not acute enough.

You eyesight is fooling you even as distance makes things look smaller, it does not follow that a person who is 6 ft tall decreases in size if they are distant from you and still visible.

Just because that person appears to the eye to be smaller than 6 ft tall if he is a distance does not make it true.

According to the logic you propound it may seem to be true, but it is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.