The day of the LORD is at hand; it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty

beameup

Howl ye; for The Day of the LORD is at hand;
it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty.

Isaiah 13:6

Alas for the day! for The Day of the LORD
is at hand, and as a destruction from the
Almighty shall it come.
-
Joel 1:15

Woe unto you that desire The Day of the LORD!
to what end is it for you? The Day of the LORD
is darkness, and not light.
-
Amos 5:18

The great Day of the LORD is near,
it is near, and hasteth greatly,
even the voice of The Day of the LORD:
the mighty man shall cry there bitterly.
-
Zephaniah 1:14

Behold, The Day of the LORD cometh,
and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.
-
Zechariah 14:1

Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet
before the coming of the great and dreadful
Day of the LORD
-
Malachi 4:5

Zeke

Sent from my A462C using TheologyOnline mobile app

beameup

For The Day of the LORD of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low: - Isaiah 2:12

Behold, The Day of the LORD cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it. - Isaiah 13:9

For this is The Day of the Lord GOD of hosts, a day of vengeance, that he may avenge him of his adversaries: and the sword shall devour, and it shall be satiate and made drunk with their blood: for the Lord GOD of hosts hath a sacrifice in the north country by the river Euphrates. - Jeremiah 46:10

For the day is near, even The Day of the LORD is near, a cloudy day; it shall be the time of the heathen. - Ezekiel 30:3

The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible Day of the LORD come - Joel 2:31

Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for The Day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision. - Joel 3:14

Zeke

And the proud and lofty think they are doing the Lords work Luke 9:54-56, plus this about the inward tribulations all must go through as the old mans carnal minded ways are done away with for the liberty in the spirit Galatians 4:20-28 1Cor 13: 1-13.

beameup

And these are the words that the LORD spake concerning Israel and concerning Judah. For thus saith the LORD; We have heard a voice of trembling, of fear, and not of peace.

Ask ye now, and see whether a man doth travail with child? wherefore do I see every man with his hands on his loins, as a woman in travail, and all faces are turned into paleness?

Alas! for that day is great, so that none is like it: it is even the time of Jacob's trouble; but he shall be saved out of it.

For it shall come to pass in that day, saith the LORD of hosts, that I will break his yoke from off thy neck, and will burst thy bonds, and strangers shall no more serve themselves of him:

IN THE FUTURE:
But they shall serve the LORD their God, and David their king, whom I will raise up unto them.
Jeremiah 30:4-9

beameup

Come near, all nations, to hear; and hearken, all people: let the earth hear, and all that is therein; the world, and all things that come forth of it.
For the INDIGNATION of the LORD is upon all nations, and his FURY upon all their armies: he hath utterly destroyed them, he hath delivered them to the slaughter.

Isaiah 34:1-2

beameup

‘The LORD will roar from on high
And utter His voice from His holy habitation;
He will roar mightily against His fold.
He will shout like those who tread the grapes,
Against all the inhabitants of the earth.

‘A clamor has come to the end of the earth,
Because the LORD has a controversy with the nations.
He is entering into judgment with all flesh;
As for the wicked, He has given them to the sword,’
declares the LORD.”

Thus says the LORD of hosts,
“Behold, evil is going forth
From nation to nation,
And a great storm is being stirred up
From the remotest parts of the earth.

Jeremiah 25:30-32

beameup

Fear, and the pit, and the snare, are upon thee, O inhabitant of the EARTH.
And it shall come to pass, that he who flees from the noise of the fear shall fall into the pit; and he that cometh up out of the midst of the pit shall be taken in the snare: for the windows from on high are open, and the foundations of the EARTH do shake. The EARTH is utterly broken down, the EARTH is clean dissolved, the EARTH is moved exceedingly. The EARTH shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall be removed like a hut; and the TRANSGRESSION thereof shall be heavy upon it; and it shall fall, and not rise again.
And it shall come to pass in that day, that the LORD shall punish the host of the high ones that are on high, and the kings of the EARTH upon the EARTH. And they shall be gathered together, as prisoners are gathered in the pit, and shall be shut up in the prison, and after many days shall they be visited.
Then the moon shall be confounded, and the sun ashamed, when the LORD of hosts shall reign in mount Zion, and in Jerusalem, and before his ancients gloriously.

Isaiah 24:17-23

God's Truth

How do people get that when Jesus comes again it will be to come to sit on an earthly throne here and take animal sacrifices? When Jesus comes again it will be as a thief in the night.

When a thief comes in the night it is to take lives; the thief knows that the people are home and asleep.

The thief that comes in the morning comes when he thinks no one is home. He does not want to hurt anyone, he just wants to take material possessions.

How does anyone get that Jesus is going to come to sit on an earthly throne and save those NOT waiting for him?

beameup

How do people get that when Jesus comes again it will be to come to sit on an earthly throne here and take animal sacrifices? When Jesus comes again it will be as a thief in the night.

When a thief comes in the night it is to take lives; the thief knows that the people are home and asleep.

Jesus "comes in the clouds" to remove believers prior to the GREAT TRIBULATION (ie: Day of the LORD). This event of "coming in the clouds" does not mean him setting foot upon the EARTH, but rather, meeting believers "in the air" (atmosphere). At the end of the GREAT TRIUBLATION, he sets foot upon, the EARTH, with Power and Great Glory.

Thus, the "removal of believers" (ie: harpazo) comes unexpectedly, as "no man knows the day or the hour". However, the "times and seasons" are known, and we are in that period (era). Great upheaval will follow the "rapture", but the TRIBULATION need not occur immediately thereafter.

God's Truth

Jesus "comes in the clouds" to remove believers prior to the GREAT TRIBULATION (ie: Day of the LORD). This event of "coming in the clouds" does not mean him setting foot upon the EARTH, but rather, meeting believers "in the air" (atmosphere). At the end of the GREAT TRIUBLATION, he sets foot upon, the EARTH, with Power and Great Glory.

Thus, the "removal of believers" (ie: harpazo) comes unexpectedly, as "no man knows the day or the hour". However, the "times and seasons" are known, and we are in that period (era). Great upheaval will follow the "rapture", but the TRIBULATION need not occur immediately thereafter.

When Jesus comes again it will be in the clouds and the Great White Throne Judgement when he resurrects everyone, some to everlasting life and others to everlasting condemnation.

What do you think? Do you think differently?

beameup

When Jesus comes again it will be in the clouds and the Great White Throne Judgement when he resurrects everyone, some to everlasting life and others to everlasting condemnation.

What do you think? Do you think differently?

If you compare the Old Testament scriptures, the "clouds" are extremely dark and ominous, and precede him in his return to the earth. Then follows the separation of the remaining human survivors between the "sheep and goats" to determine who will remain to repopulate the earth. Yeshua sets up his throne on Zion in Jerusalem and rules the earth for the 1,000 year Millennium.
After that, comes the general resurrection of all humans from Adam on, except those resurrected previously (as in the rapture), will occur and they will be judged at the Great White Throne judgment. Following this, time is no more, and "eternity" begins.

God's Truth

If you compare the Old Testament scriptures, the "clouds" are extremely dark and ominous, and precede him in his return to the earth. Then follows the separation of the remaining human survivors between the "sheep and goats" to determine who will remain to repopulate the earth. Yeshua sets up his throne on Zion in Jerusalem and rules the earth for the 1,000 year Millennium.
After that, comes the general resurrection of all humans from Adam on, except those resurrected previously (as in the rapture), will occur and they will be judged at the Great White Throne judgment. Following this, time is no more, and "eternity" begins.

The scriptures say when Jesus comes again it will be at the Great White Throne Judgement, at the resurrection; and there will be a new earth and then Jesus hands the kingdom over to the Father.

Where do you get all that you said?

beameup

The scriptures say when Jesus comes again it will be at the Great White Throne Judgement, at the resurrection; and there will be a new earth and then Jesus hands the kingdom over to the Father.

Where do you get all that you said?

Well, the clarity comes from Revelation. The Old Testament focuses primarily on the Day of the LORD.
That will be a "day" when God directly intervenes in the affairs of man upon the EARTH. Sometimes, a prophecy will encompass the first coming of Messiah and the second coming of Messiah in the same passage. So, vast periods of time seem to be a single event rather than a series of events. The "Day of the LORD" is a MAJOR O.T. Tanakh topic.

God's Truth

Well, the clarity comes from Revelation. The Old Testament focuses primarily on the Day of the LORD.
That will be a "day" when God directly intervenes in the affairs of man upon the EARTH. Sometimes, a prophecy will encompass the first coming of Messiah and the second coming of Messiah in the same passage. So, vast periods of time seem to be a single event rather than a series of events. The "Day of the LORD" is a MAJOR O.T. Tanakh topic.

Most that is said in Revelations already happened.

The New Testament says that when Jesus comes again it will be at the judgment time and he raises the dead...that is the wrath of God when the wicked will go to eternal condemnation.

Jesus will not be living on this earth again. When he comes he will not come to bear sin.

beameup

Most that is said in Revelations already happened.

The New Testament says that when Jesus comes again it will be at the judgment time and he raises the dead...that is the wrath of God when the wicked will go to eternal condemnation.

Jesus will not be living on this earth again. When he comes he will not come to bear sin.

Thanks for the response. I really do understand your position.
Others feel it is necessary to separate the ministry and message of Jesus that He delivered specifically to his people, the Jews, while he was on the earth.
They would separate that very specific message to Jews, from the information that Jesus revealed, following his resurrection, to Paul and John (and others). This information Paul calls a "direct revelation" that had been a hidden mystery from the very beginning of time (ie: "new information" not provided in the four Gospels).

Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers (ie: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob). - Romans 15:8

Whereof I [Paul] am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory - Colossians 1:25-27

How that by revelation he made known unto me [Paul] the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit
Ephesians 3:3-5

So, with this "new information" (that was a hidden mystery), a more complete and expanded picture of end-times events can be understood.

Interplanner

Thanks for the response. I really do understand your position.
Others feel it is necessary to separate the ministry and message of Jesus that He delivered specifically to his people, the Jews, while he was on the earth.
They would separate that very specific message to Jews, from the information that Jesus revealed, following his resurrection, to Paul and John (and others). This information Paul calls a "direct revelation" that had been a hidden mystery from the very beginning of time (ie: "new information" not provided in the four Gospels).

Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers (ie: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob). - Romans 15:8

Whereof I [Paul] am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory - Colossians 1:25-27

How that by revelation he made known unto me [Paul] the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit
Ephesians 3:3-5

So, with this "new information" (that was a hidden mystery), a more complete and expanded picture of end-times events can be understood.

But it is not about our end times. It is about what was developing then. It is also not hidden from the beginning of time. This idea came about from the English trans of the end of Rom 16, which is 'chronois aionois' more than from Eph 3:5's 'heterais geneais' other generations (obviously previous).

As for its contents not being about our end times (but being about what they thought would at the end of time), the reception of believers from all nations is not the surprise. Rather the way they came in: 'through the gospel.' The weight of Eph 3:6 hinges on 'dia tou euangeliou' not on the 3 things that happened (the sharing or coinheritance). Judaism thought it was going to be through the Law.

That is why Judaism, says Gal 3:17, replaced the Promise (to all nations) with the Law, and voided it. That concept had to be blasted by Paul all his Christian life.

beameup

But it is not about our end times. It is about what was developing then.

The topic is The Day of the LORD.
I've listed 17 portions of scripture
from Isaiah, Joel, Amos, Zephaniah,
Zechariah, Malachi, Jeremiah, Ezekiel.

I'd like to hear how a PRETERIST, like
yourself, reconciles all these verses.

Behold, the name of the LORD cometh from far, burning with his anger, and the burden thereof is heavy: his lips are full of indignation, and his tongue as a devouring fire: And his breath, as an overflowing stream, shall reach to the midst of the neck, to sift the nations with the sieve of vanity: and there shall be a bridle in the jaws of the people, causing them to err.
And the LORD shall cause his glorious voice to be heard, and shall show the lighting down of his arm, with the indignation of his anger, and with the flame of a devouring fire, with scattering, and tempest, and hailstones.
- Isaiah 30:27,28,30

Interplanner

The topic is The Day of the LORD.
I've listed 17 portions of scripture
from Isaiah, Joel, Amos, Zephaniah,
Zechariah, Malachi, Jeremiah, Ezekiel.

I'd like to hear how a PRETERIST, like
yourself, reconciles all these verses.

I don't know what a label means without a definition.

First of all, the day of the Lord was referred to in Acts 2 by Peter using Joel 2. So it started. At that point I think everything about the wrath of God could have taken place in a fast progression, although Christ did want the whole earth to hear the Gospel. (Paul says twice that this was done).

Mt24 up to v29 (which I call Mt24A) is set in Judea in the 1st century, and it is linked by Jesus to the destructive events mentioned in Dan 9. That's the only OT passage he clearly mentions. The 490 years were due up.

But in Mt24B after v29, the setting is the whole world's judgement. Yes, there are warnings and admonitions after this that apply to both, but you can see from 'immediately after this' (destruction of Jerusalem) that the world wide was supposed to happen.

It did not. There are two reasons given here (Lk 21 has no allowance for a delay between the two). One is from 'only the Father knows' here in Matthew, and the parable of the watchful servants in Mk 13, told that the Master could come back any of 4 times.

There is also the reason given in 2 Peter 3. Assuming that the scoffers are now talking about the final judgement (he's writing in 60 or so), he says that the reason for delay is God's mercy. This is even before the destruction of Jerusalem, and maybe he also hoped that could be delayed. But the passage is about the whole earth, like the flood was about its era.

So to your question: I don't know if there is any neat way to divide the reference of a prophet's wrath between 1, the exile in 8th and 6th century BC, 2, the destruction of Jerusalem and 3, the whole earth (yet to take place). And there is no problem if we don't know how.

We do know from Peter in Acts 2 that a time of wrath on Israel was due called the day of the Lord, but also a time when there would be redemptive visions and dreams that would announce to many people how to be saved. The great destructive event of the destruction of Jerusalem in 66-70 AD could have started even earlier than it did, but in God's design it appears to have been prolonged so that the warning to Israel was one generation long (30 to 70).